Stew's WIP Log - Page 5
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Stew's WIP Log

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stewsayer View Post
    I'm not sure. I didn't order this one. My mate handed it to me last friday. Check their contacts page there is an order email addres there by the look of it. I'd probably google something like Young Miniatures Templar bust and see if any stores come up in the results.
    Will do! Thanks Stew!

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

stevey293

Cheers had a look about. Prices are pretty good!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stevey293 View Post
    Cheers had a look about. Prices are pretty good!
    Ok. I'm an idiot. Where did you find the pricing? All I can find are galleries of painted busts/figures and an email addy for ordering...

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

stevey293

Same boat i cant find that exact model but i found a site that has many others from that range. Same size busts are £40 ish.

http://www.elgrecominiatures.co.uk/c.../front_02.html

Here is a link to that site.

Stevey, off the link you posted, http://www.elgrecominiatures.co.uk/c...iniatures.html

Go down near the bottom, "Templar Knight in Jerusalem", they list him as
    £ 38.80

Which, I admit, is not what I got it for.

Another bit of a break from the Demons.

I finally based up one of my Chaos Dwarf Hell Cannon Crew. Base is not quite done as I'll put the whole thing together in a little dio eventually.

Voting linky http://www.coolminiornot.com/298547

Also i've had a little go at pushing putty again. Thanks to Faolan for the Templar Bust I used as referece for this guy. He's my thrid crack at sculpting something from scratch. the others were quite pants.

After the first session:

After 3 sessions:

The band on the gggles still needs some detail added and his mouth is getting redone as its all wrong. Aside from that i think the proportions are just a touch wonky (Neck and Trapezoids are a little large, shoulders a little wide) due to the armature being too big more than anything else. Oh well next time.
    Last edited by Stewsayer; 02-13-2012 at 07:17 AM.

Stew,

While you didn't hit your target of Riddick, you've still done a fine job on the sculpting. The proportions you mention are a little off for a "normal" man, but they're not outside the realm of possibility or even probability. I've seen plenty of massively shouldered, bull necked brutes, and he fits this perfectly.

Now, one problem I do see is on the back of the wifebeater he's wearing: it shouldn't follow the back exactly as it does. If it's tight it's not going to follow into the crevasse between his scapulae, it'll pull taut across the two and only bow in slightly. If it's supposed to be loose fitting, it hugs everything else too tightly. It looks like it fell in between loose/fitting and tight. You see the same issue on the front, but not as pronounced.

Hi

Thanks Faolan. Points taken as we discussed on the T-Shirt. I might fix that before painting. I've redone the ears as they were way too small. Also fixed up a couple of smudged areas and done a rush job of he strap . He's baked and needs a little final filling work and a wash before being ready for primer. But for all intents I'm calling him done warts and all. I have learned a heap from doing this and will take it forward into my next one and hopefully do a bit better job of the anatomy and get a litle closer to my concept than this time.

And for size comparison

Hi,

Been doing a little more putty pushing. This one is a project for my daughter. Her class theme for this year is "The Incredibles" so here is my take on Bob. He's a little off but close enough for her.

He's a little off but close enough for her.
    Before reading the text, I looked at the pictures...
    and the first thing I thought was:
    The Incredibles
    Can't tell you what's not completely right with him...
    but you are very close.
    - - -
    Since GW has decreed that the Stormraven's cockpit opens and the pilot climbs in, it is now Gospel. As it is written, so shall it be done!

Thanks Sagh,

He has a very exaggerated shape in the film and I don't think I quite nailed it. On the face especially he could have been wider at the chin and skinnier at the forehead. Another good learning experience though. Glad to know I was in the ball park enough that you picked him without reading the post. Now more practice...

Thanks Kath.

BTW how did you put your rank in your sig?
    So sorry I didn't see this earlier. Under the My Pictures link, there are various codes where you can add your rank and gallery to your website. I used the rank code but instead of the img source tag I replaced it with the BB img tags for the sig.

And the sculpts are looking great!

Thanks Kath,

More sculpting to come. Going to try a Nurgle Terminator next I think.

Terminator, or half again bigger as a Daemon Prince?

I just remembered something Stew. If you want to sculpt busts and people, this book Modelling and Sculpting the Human Figure by Edouard Lanteri is worth it's weight in gold. It's a very old book but you don't have to read it cover to cover to get it. It will help you pinpoint the spots that you're "off" but can't put your finger on why. Check the used book prices - a lot of times you can get a very nice one for next to nothing.

@ Faolan

Or something like that...

@ Kath
    Thanks for that I'll look into getting a copy.

Some colours on Bob.

I might go back at his hair with some white points but other wise I think he's done. Thanks 10Ball for the help with the hair it didn't turn out quite like yours but it's a good fit for the character.
    Just need to finish the tidy up on a piece of timber to set him on.

Looks good, Stew, looks good.

@Kath: Thanks for the idea on the book, I was struggling to think of something to get Stew for his birthday that was hobby related and not a figure that wasn't as much a personal decision like paints and brushes.

lol! You're welcome! Glad I was able to help.

Pssst...here's another idea...he's going through the Super Sculpey pretty fast.