Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Blood Angels Land Raider Crusader

Default Blood Angels Land Raider Crusader

Wehey! A new project to resurrect my Blood Angels army, paint up some new mini's and in a few months time, challenge a mate to a battle. That'll be the first in over 6 years or so ^^.

So here goes, the biggy of the army, a Land Raider Crusader to ferry the Captain, Reclusiarch and Sanguinary priest (all in termy armour), plus their body guard of a 5-man close combat Terminator Squad.

It's lightly converted with the Forgeworld BA doors and some Dremel'ed and remodeled battle damage. i also used some extra resin and etched brass details here and there.

Funny thing how regular thin masking tape is exàctly the same with as Land Raider tracks. ^^

It took quite a few hours to assemble properly actually. The plan is to use the weathering skills learned with my big Marine on this vehicle so no rush, patience is the key.

First steps after assembly, a black undercoat and a base coat of roughly 50/50 Mechadendrite Red and blood red, mixed with some Vallejo airbrush thinner and a little bit of Klear to give some strength to the paint. That GW paint gun is a lovely tool to apply base coats. No tricky mechanics to clean afterwards...

Some progress: I applied some gentle shading and highlights with an airbrush to break up the even tone a bit. There are some tiny splatters here and there but I'll get rid of those during the weathering process.

I think I would have started with a darker red, but then I dont know what your plan is for this beast. Gonna keep an eye on this thread, as I am constructing mine at the moment too.

If you need a commission painter, PM me.

Click me to join Facebook page

Well, the red is actually darker then the pics showed. I'm not a big fan of too bright Blood Angels either. ^^ The lighting conditions are not always perfect as I'm using daylight and the weather is a bit random right now but I played around a bit with the shutter settings and got closer to the true colour.

In the mean time, some progress; gentle highlighting using a brush here and there, very dry drybrushing and the decals are applied so they can be messed up during the weathering process.

Also included are some photo's of a mate of mine's SW Crusader, he's building and painting it at the same time as me. A perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon away from professional life. ^^

hi,

see u still gotta go along way on the L.R. but they're so big :-)

Perhaps this was already part of you're plan (in that case please ignore my advice) but here and there there is a little space between the armour; some thinned black washed on it could give u stronger colours transsitions on the armour.

With kind regards,

Locutus.

Cheers mate! Yeah, there's still a long, long way to as the thing is going to receive some heavy weathering. I want to give it a thought battle-used look.

In the mean time, some progress on the rest of army project. All the miniatures were put together over the past few weeks and have all been undercoated and basecoated. I stuck together a 10- man tac. squad, 10-man dev. squad, 5 Sanguinary Guard, 5 honour guard and 10 death company and a Razorback.

The Razorback received the most attention, vehicles are so much fun to work on. ^^

I basecoated with a mix of Mechadenrite Red and Blood red, together with some thinner and Klear. Then I airbrushed some gentle shading and highlights, followed by a drybrushing with the foundation paint orange. To soften up the dusty drybrushing, as well as add some colour depth I airbrushed on a layer or three of a roughly 35% Baal red wash, 15% Red Ink and 50% Klear.
    I'll probably give the edges a gentle drybrushing again to bring out the edges a bit more.

I wanted something to break up the large red surfaces a bit, other than giving the odd plate a different colour. The extra brass and resin detailing will give variation in any case, as well as the weathering still to follow, but I felt it need a little 'extra'. As red wunz go fasta but he's already red there was only one thing I could do. Almost on instinct I spent the better part of an hour meticulously applying masking tape and voilà, racing stripes.
    It came out looking surprisingly well I must say and just needs some tiny touch-ups. The stripes somehow do seem to suit the look of the Razorback. ^^

And I thought I'd post a few pics of the honour guards, all of them received some minor conversions.

And some of the Sanguinary guard. The colour appears a lot lighter on the camera, in reality it's more of a dark bronze. I'm going to go for a dark look with a lot of the detailing also metallic, I want to give them a statuesque look. I'm not I'll even put on the wings though as I feel they're a bit to thick, large and clumsy for jump troops. I think I'll paint the wings dark anyway so I can see when they look like before I make the final decision.

I don't know if it's just me, but the paint on those red marines looks like it's been sprayed on far too thick. You might want to thin the paint a fair bit more and spray on in more coats than you are atm but using far thinner layers. Also I can see mold lines everywhere on them, always good to get rid of the mold lines before painting up minis.

Happy painting!

Yeah, on those models the layers of ink+klear were not as good. Apparently there was a tiny blockage in my airbrush which caused it to stutter from time to time and shooting a bigger blob now and then. Sadly the damage was done before I full well realised it.
    Same with some mold lines. After glueing together 30 marines a few tiny lines fell through the mazes of the net. They're hardly visible and are enlarged by the photo's but indeed, they do warrant a touch-up before continuing. Thanks for the sharp eye, mate! Well appreciated.

I have some troubles airbrushing red, never get the right tone. What is the red you use? GW blood red? vallejo? your advice will be very helpful for me.

Sure thing man, the red is (very) roughly: 30% GW Mechadendrite Red, 25% GW Blood Red, 25% Vallejo thinner and 20% Johnson's Klear.
    I actually prefer Vallejo paints, but the GW foundation paints are just perfect for thinning due to the high pigment content, and the GW Blood red I just had in abundance so I could pour that liberally in the mixing jar.

Huge tip; don't buy the little Vallejo thinner pots, go for the 20ml version, a LOT cheaper for the quantity.

Long time no updates! Just because progress has been slow.

Some more weathering and finishing the details, which are time consuming but have to be done before the weathering continues.

The Land Raider that a mate of mine's doing, less pics because his progress is a bit slower. ^^

The Razorback. I'm especially proud of how the plate on the dozer blade turned out and the silver wings.

And progress on the thing I hate the most, the painting of the black, for all the metallics and detailing. A cursed job it is.

Man im gonna have to make some orders with forgeworld! Those tanks look great!
    If the printed word was spoken, so much truth would be so broken...

Cheers mate!
    Yeah, those FW bits rock, absolutely. Instant coolness!

WOW, those Sanguinary Guard Look amazing, I may have missed part of this post though i Have checked, so I apologise if this is a repeat Q but how did you get that, as you said, 'statuesque' Look.

No worries mate, here's how I did them.
    They're basically just:
    -Basecoat (which the self mixed bronze you see in an earlier post, roughly 80% Vallejo Tinny Tin and the rest is some GW gold),
    -Then two layers thinned brown ink, one layer thinned sepia ink. Roughly 1:1 mix with watern sprayed on with an airbrush, but this could easily be painted on, just not to thickly
    -And then just very dry drybrushing with the two shades of GW golds and a light (also drybrush)touch here and there with Mythril silver.

Can I ask how you did the very delicate edge weathering on the Land Raider?

Sure thing man, those were sponged on. Basically same preparation as with drybrushing, I used a little sponge you find in the back-end of miniature blisters but any kind of fine sponge would do. Dab on some paint, rub it in on some piece of paper and then rub it off on a cloth, just like you would do for drybrushing. make sure the sponge is almost dry, test-dab on your hand and if you see almost no paint, you're good to go. Start with gentle dabbing on the model, to test the moistness and then gently start building it up in layers and as the paint on the sponge dries further you can slowly apply more pressure.
    On the land Raider I used a codex-grey like grey, a brilliant metallic from Vallejo called Oily Steel (boltgun metal-ish but with a better shine), black, and some brown. If you use different colours it builds up more realistically. Some dabs of grey here, some metallic there, some black there, a bit of brown here etc etc. The trick is building up the layers, not over-rushing because if you rush with a too-wet sponge, you end up with smudges and smears.

Empchild

I like it meph but for the future I would say start a little darker as that all seems rather flat with the red.

Cheers man! Yeah, for some reason the highlights are almost not showing on photo, it does look a lot less flat in real life. I even drybrushed the edges with pure wotsitsname, Vallejo's Ice Yellow I think

Nice Work Love how you did the razorback minus the black racing stripes they look a little out of place.
    Check out my blog! Here