Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1151596061
Results 1,201 to 1,214 of 1214

Thread: Blood Angels Land Raider Crusader

Cheers, fellas!

Next up, Boaty McBoatface! I got a plasma cannon set for him as well, so I though it best to magnetize the lot. The top weapon, and side weapons have been fully magnetized, and I just need to magnetize the little under-slung weapons.
    Once I have the main body pose in place, I can decide on the position of the main weapons so I can bend the ammo/feed belts accordingly. I magnetized the ball joins and the ammo pack and I feel it might be best to paint the ammo-belt-weapon assembly in one piece. Still there's a chance that the assembly won't be sturdy enough and I'll be forced to paint the ammo, belt, and weapons separately. Ah well, we'll see...

Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

'Step right up and see the one-eyed monster!'
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

More aerodynamic than an actual Land Speeder.

I love watching your models from start to finish Meph. This should be a good'un.
    error 404: signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    More aerodynamic than an actual Land Speeder.
    Lol, true that! Hmmm which reminds me... I still have an unassembled Tempest Land Spedder lying around somewhere. I guess I'll prep it as well.
    Personally I like working on two modelsbuilds at the same time. thatw ay i cans witch whenever one of the two is drying.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Looking good mate, have noticed you like to do one by land and by air at the same time, although the land based one could equally be by sea ! Go Boaty ! LOL
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

Hmmm, I have a big unopened pot of Vallejo Water Effects... should I put him in nipple-deep water? (would be my first tiome doing water effects though)
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Warning! warning! warning! approaching plumb depth, abort! abort!
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Abort? Abort?! No, cowards! Hold your breath and tiptoe! For the Emprah!
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Aaaalrighty then. And with the blink of an eye, more than a month has passed. I haven't completely been sitting still, well, almost. I've been staring at minis a lot.

The Derereredeo has vexed me as on how to magnetize the arms with a decent transportability in mind, and still have a good-looking pose. The whole arm setup is rather complex, yet easy to set up, but it's the ammo feeds that further complicate matters. In the end I went with a standard pose setup as it still is a cool pose, but it won't compromise structural stability. As for now the 'armpit/shoulder' part is still separate as it will be easier to paint, but once done, I'll glue the gun assembly into the armpit, and the whole gun arm(s) will be easy to remove and swap.

The tempest is stuck together. And whilst it does come equipped with a fully detailed cockpit and pilot, I decided to leave those out. I didn't feel like scratch-building a hinge mechanism for that small canopy, so I just glued it it on and called it done.
    the gun and bumper will be painted separately, and I swapped out the standard wing-tip antenna with some copper detailing as I think it looks neater. The resin Forgeworld antennae were a bit to thick, and not 100% straight, and on antenna like that I though it crucial to have a clean look. Even when straightened out manually, the resin bits would never be 100% straight, and very prone to breaking off.

I also lost a lot of time coming up with a paint scheme for the tempest, but I'm not quite done with pondering... I thought to perhaps add a straight black bar length-wise, as wide as the cockpit, and smaller length-wise stripes on the wings. Or perhaps a broad, diagonal stripe across the whole of the model, much like this:
    Name:  draken_02.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  19.5 KB
    What do you think? Any alternative ideas?

And then... I decided it was time. After a lot of thinking and brainstorming I couldn't come up with a definitive plan of approach, or even design, for the reworked Storm Talon, so I decided the best way would be to glue one together, and then attack it with a saw and a bitz box. And then the whole road ahead became clear.
    Larger wings, canards, a smaller gun turret, less building-sized weapon sponsons, and an overall stretched look. I didn't feel like meticulously planning the conversion, and I wanted to use as many plastic components as possible, as they are very easy to adapt and glue. I felt that to have as much structural strength as possible, that the melted bond of plastic cement would be the way to go. So the main conversion will be done by hacking, cutting, and sanding various plastic bits, and I'll use plasticard and greenstuff to fill in any structural short-comings.

What do you think so far? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited by Meph; 11-05-2017 at 01:10 PM.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

we've been hitting the savings account hard this month lol, nice toys.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Meph love this thread I’m waiting for alternative ideas from you for that rubicon thingie - that’s the direction ide love to see!!!!amd your the man for the job.

Cheers, guys! Yeah, I'm kinda looking forward to doing some more work on the conversion. I'm hoping to have some energy to do some further converting during the week, but work does tend to leave me quite drained by the end of the work day.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Hmmm. I might need to find a way to add pitch to the auto cannon assembly, as the standard mount of the Storm Talon only has jaw.

And I also think I need to come up with a tail thruster, at least one that points down.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Under construction!
    Progress from the weekend. Took my time to undercoat the speeder and the dread. Lots of nooks & crannies, so lots of little sessions with drying time in between. Also, an airbrush booth cannot get rid of the stench of a spray can thàt easily so I preferred to spend the drying time elsewhere.

But the better part of hobby time was spent on the Storm Talon MKII. As foreseen, going into the build without a plan means I'll have to McGyver my way through every unforeseen issue that pops up.
    I glued in some extra little bits in the back hole in order to have some extra support for the tail, but I probably should have waited with gluing the tail on until the nose section was finished.

Not that it's a dramatic issue, but I'm thinking that that nose would be a bit easier to shape without the tail attached, in terms of holding the model my hand for sanding and cutting. I also wondered if it would be best to blend the nose to the fuselage using plasticard for a cleaner look, but I know myself. Accurate measurements of such a complex shape would be subject to complex quantum physics between measuring, cutting, and fitting. So greenstuff it is! Came out better than I feared though. needs some sanding when dry but I feel it will look OK.

I also glued in some extra support struts in the tail section using bits of sprue, and I subsequently found out that the wings needed to be mounted just a tad higher in order to properly be clear of the engine nozzles. So more sprue was cut up and glued into place. This also means that I'll have to do more work than expected to the dorsal area.

But I feel the McGyver is strong with this build, so full steam ahead! (Although I doubt I'll get much done during the week...)

FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project