Blood Angels Land Raider Crusader - Page 57
Page 57 of 68 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 1344

Thread: Blood Angels Land Raider Crusader

Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    Cheers guys! Yeah, the new edition did give some new wind. If not for the new models, then for the renewed playability of all units within the game.

So, did some stuff over the weekend. Mainly varnishing the tac squad. And oh boy, they're bomb-proof now. First the satin varnish, too glossy (probably due to the gloss coat they still had), then a matte varnish to tone it down a bit. Slight panic due to mild whitening of the models. Renewed relief after another satin varnish coat, removing the whiteness and giving an acceptable albedo. Forgot to take pictures though so I think I'll go ahead and base them before taking some final shots.

And started on the secondary colours of the Lt. For now I made the helmet stripe golden, with a black outline, but I'm wondering if I should invert that or not. I'll take a few photos this evening.
    Yes! I know what you mean about the new edition really making it a great time to jump back on the bandwagon! Looking forward to seeing your Primaris, they're gonna look awesome in your dark red style!

Well, tadaa! Secondary colours are being painted in. Still don't know if I should have gone for the black inner stripe with gold outlines on his helmet or not. Maybe I'll try that for the second lieutenant.
    And some parts have received a gloss coat for some decals.
    The tactical marines received their slightly too glossy satin coat, but I think I'll leave it at that. it tends to dull down over time anyway. And as you can see the bases are halfway done. They just need some weathering powder, and some drybrushed highlights on the stones.

Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Looking good mate, would consider changing the colour of the strip as the emblem is getting lost being the same colour
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

I would give you great comments about the paint job, but seeing how its a marine..... :P hehe Good job buddy.
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Quote Originally Posted by wargamesculptor View Post
    Looking good mate, would consider changing the colour of the strip as the emblem is getting lost being the same colour
    Yeah, I see what you mean. On the other hand it mean that there would be a golden emblem covering the front part of the black stripe. Hmm, I could try how it looks on the cut-off helmet I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Digganob View Post
    I would give you great comments about the paint job, but seeing how its a marine..... :P hehe Good job buddy.
    lol, cheers!
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Picture time!

Ze vehicles. Masked and primed. For the command Rhino I decided to take a risk and do some quick & dirty masking. I made sure the lines went straight, but unlike previous maskings I did, I did not take the time to stick and cut dozens of tiny pieces to have every nook & cranny just right. it's a deliberate attempt to save time. I'm curious to see how it comes out. I'm expecting some manual cleanup for sure, but hopefully less time-consuming than immaculate taping beforehand. We'll see. Weathering can cover a lot of boo-boos.

For the vindi, I first wanted to add some thin striping patterns, that evolved into a chevron, and once that was in place I thought; hmm why not cover the whole back bit and do a two-tone paint job?

The Lt. has had his secondary colours painted on, was assembled, and is ready for weathering and oil paint wash. The stripe looks good enough for the naked eye, but on photo it becomes clear it was painted by a naked monkey. Next time it will be done with masking take for sure, or at least the middle stripe, so that's nice and tight.

The second tactical squad for the army. Equipped with grav weapons and a missile launcher. The still somewhat glossy coat is annoying the frak out of me. In person it's hardly noticeable, but on photo, oh boy... Well, you see the results. Whilst not catastrophic, it does show some gloss highlights which aren't there on the paint job, and these photos were even shot with 1/200 shutter speed. I'm sore tempted to attempt another pass with a satin varnish, but I'm not sure that will fix the issue, and might even mess up that bases a bit. We'll see where the whim takes me.

Combat Squad one, with the sarge.

Combat Squad two, with the veteran leading his brothers.
    Last edited by Meph; 07-21-2017 at 09:06 AM.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Lots of sexy pictures to digest here Meph. Those tacmarines are looking great, though like you I'd be tempted to knock back the gloss a bit. The only reason I'd avoid using matte is the metallics, but I think the oil washes dull them enough that they wouldn't be affected by the matte.

Tanks are awesome, they're going to look great once that tape is removed. Still in love with that vindy model.

Naked monkeys be damned, the primaris is excellent. Maybe just get some black and steadily work in from the edge of the stripes until they are straightened out.

Hot damn! Loving the way this is going! The vehicles already look sweet, can only imagine how nice they're gonna look with the masks removed.

The Primaris LT looks like he fits perfectly with this army, which is very impressive!

Man, the green works so well as a contrasting colour, I would never have guessed! Gonna have to steal it for upcoming projects i think!

Looking good Meph - that Primaris LT is a really nice addition and the squads look great, love the poses you have going on there! One thing that did leap out at me was the tiny golden hair hanging off of the skull on the primaris's chest.

Cheers, guys!

Yeah, I'm definitely going to tone down the gloss a bit more with some matte Vallejo varnish brushed on. I noticed that that's not overly matte, especially when applied over a gloss coat. That might achieve the desired sheen.

The vehicles will receive their highlights this weekend, that means I'll be able to remove the masking take as well. I'm dying of curiosity to see what happened under that tape. OI'm suspecting bad things for the Rhino, and acceptable results for the vindi.

@Replica: Steal away! I use home brew mix of a somewhat muted forest green (Some colour from Vallejo, don't know them by heart), and grey. More or less 50/50. And then I shade a bit down with some black, and shade a bit up with some cream colour, and finally a little bit of white. I even did it on the Apothecary/Sanguinary Priest.

@Quiarcus: You mean the chest-skull's moustache? Good spotting! I'll have it plucked asap.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    @Replica: Steal away! I use home brew mix of a somewhat muted forest green (Some colour from Vallejo, don't know them by heart), and grey. More or less 50/50. And then I shade a bit down with some black, and shade a bit up with some cream colour, and finally a little bit of white. I even did it on the Apothecary/Sanguinary Priest.
    Nice! I might give it a crack on a Sang Priest too, or maybe a chaplain? Might be hard to see next to black?

It works rather well with black as well. I used it on the camo Landraider: http://imgur.com/a/PRBNl
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Alrighty the progress of the past weekend. I gave the Deimoses their red base coat, applied the highlights and some washes & glazes and removed the masking tape.
    I must say, for my lazier, quicker masking round I must say I'm quite pleased with the results. The Vindicator needs almost no fixing or cleanup, just the apex of the chevron a bit, but not the lines themselves.

The Rhino will need some more work. The area between the cupolas will need a bit of work, but the rest of the parts need just a little touch-up here and there.

Onwards!

And a high-res gallery to see every flaw in glorious zoom-o-vision.
    http://imgur.com/a/L0ACo

Oh, and I bought this on a whim: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CL4D6...740111_TE_item
    I still need to try out the frame & background, but I bought it mostly because it was one of the cheapest LED panel I could find, two of them, with table clamps.
    And I must say, having some more lumen oomph sure does wonders for the photos. Usually I have to adjust the photos a bit in Photoshop to better match reality, but with these led arrays... well, the photos you see here are straight from the camera.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Looking great Meph, for the quick masking it came out really well

Tanks are looking great bud. Drybrushing is working well.

Looking forward to seeing them all finished.

Thanks fellas!
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Alrighty! Dilemma time, I need your thoughts on the following.
    I have a Xiphon fighter that I'm assembling. Cool looking kit, the X-Wing vibe already made me decide to give it an X-Wing paint job. But red & black instead of grey & red.

But the wings are giving me a headache; For long I've frowned upon square leading edges on SM flying vehicles. It's just ridiculous, and shaping should no longer be an issue with modern sculpting and casting techniques.

So I've got half-tube plasticards of 3.5mm diameter. It would fit perfect on the wings of the Xiphon to give the wings a rounded leading- and trailing edge. For sure it will look better.

But a vanilla Xiphon has a much highter chance to have some photos selected to go on the FW site. Already I've got quite a few photos on mine in the FW online catalogues. And over time FW has removed photos of models that showed too many visual discrepancies with the base model, such as my Spartan with its metal track swap.
    And considering there aren't that many photos of the Xiphon fighter on the FW catalogue, I do think I have a reasonable chance of being published on their site.

So, shall I go for the look, or for the possible Forgeworld publishing?
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

My answer would be in the form of a question, which is more important ? for me I'd rather the look, but you could always paint it standard, then photograph it, then add the tleading edge pieces afterwords.
    Like the kit but always thought it had a vyper style from Battlestar Gallactica

Yeah, it's got a Viper vibe going on as well, although for me the wing shape, the shaping of the fuselage in front of the cockpit, and the shape of the area behind the cockpit remind me of an X-Wing.

And, good question actually... Actually in my mind I've been thinking to buy a second Xiphon somewhere in the future. I've been putting in some games as of late, and the Xiphon looks like a good unit on the table.

I've also been thinking to add a nose cone to the Xiphon as well. And the angles of the frotn section would fit an X-wing style cone perfectly. I could always do a visual conversion now and paint a vanilla later. Maybe with a Blood Angel version of a Viper paint job.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Sounds good mate, and have my eye on a squadron of these myself