Blood Angels Land Raider Crusader - Page 12
Page 12 of 68 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Blood Angels Land Raider Crusader

Cockpit almost done!

Just some quick drybrushing and some very quick detaling. Since almost nothing will be visible in that cockpit I didn't want to spend too much time fiddling with details.

After that I sealed both the pilot and cockpit using a spray can of GW satin varnish. And then I made was with black oil paint and turpentine. I just madly applied it over the lot of it and as you can see the oil paint neatly sucks itself into every bit of texture it can find without tinting the underlying colours too much. I took some before and right-after pics to show what it does. I'll let that dry out for now and see if it needs any correcting after but it looks like it's not going to need much.

Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Great work Meph! I really like the interior color you choose, it is a nice contrast. You know I have been using oils for quite some time now, may I make a few suggestions?

First off, pallet your oil onto some cardboard, the cardboard will soak the linseed oil out of the paint, then you can add your thinning solution to the oil a paint, this cuts down the drying time dramatically. I actually prefer Oderless Mineral Spirits when working with oils, the smell is not as bad, and it dries faster.

When making a grime or much wash, try mixing a little black with some burnt umber, it just provides a little color to the wash/mix and I think looks more natural.

After your was/mix has sat for a few minutes, take a q-tip, not the fluffy kind, but the really tightly wound kind, alternatively a clean brush or paper towel could work as well, but any way, after everything has sat for a few minutes, take your instrument of choice, dip it in some of the mineral spirits and just gently rub it over the highlights. This pulls the darker wash off of the highlight, and helps increase the contrast and shading effect of your wash.

Lastly you have already noticed that an oil based wash pulls very nicely into all the cracks and details, in the modeling world they call that technique "panel washing" You mix up a little but of an oil wash and dip the tip of your brush is the the little grooves that separate all the panels on the surface of a model, like and airplane, any way the capillary action of the oil paint pulls the wash quite far. If you look at this photo, in the panel lines, you can see how they are darker, and the effect of the wash I described.

Name:  IMG_5815.JPG
Views: 1120
Size:  130.2 KB

The last thing I would suggest is to pick up some artists wax, like this;

http://www.dickblick.com/products/ga...ld-wax-medium/

The wax makes the paint a bit more versatile, and when the wax and a little bit of paint are mixed, you can use the mixture for dry brushing, and it creates a very soft, subtle and clean looking dry brush effect, it makes it look less dry brushed.

Also I just saw your post about the canopy, I think your problem is the tamyia clear. I know in the past when I have used future to thin tamyia paints for my airbrush, I had major problem with the mixture getting gummed up in my brush. I would ditch the tamyia clear and just use the future. If you want to test it more, take some clear blister scraps and try tinting that, it should work just fun.

Hope that helps man, and keep posting your progress!!

Ashton
    Last edited by Redfinger; 10-09-2011 at 11:24 AM.

Cheers! It's always nice to hear other people's tips & techniques. That cardboard palette sounds very interesting... It does seem a bit tricky for mixing inks though seeing as the ratio of turpentine vs paint is so large. Or do you mean, first mix around the oil paint on carton for a while and then scoop into a little pot for mixing?

The wax sounds interesting as well, I'll definitely try that out.

I've been using oil paints since my large FW Marine, Burnt Umber is great for rust effects and such. It was quite a revelation to see the effect of oil paint with a reasonable workload and ease of use.

I'm about to seal the cockpit and glue on the cockpit. The dipping of the canopy went satisfactory, so full steam ahead!
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Voila, cockpit sealed, taped up and seams closed with masking fluid. Fingers crossed, because that's not coming off until it's done...

And I also applied a first of many layers of weathering powders on and around the tracks. It's not bad but it needs a lot refining. Even though it was a mix of 5 different colours (some more than others), it came out predominantly reddish like clay. I feel I need some lighter, more sandy tones to contrast better with the red of the hull I feel.
    What do you guys think?

Arch, and I keep overlooking those bullet impacts each and every time, like I'm selectively blind to them... :S

FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

The shape of the pilot is cracking me up... With him being of the adeptus mechanicus it makes perfect sense for him to have a metallic boner...

On topic:Are you planning on leaving the front grenade launchers red apart from the crosses? I always feel like it's safer for them to be black considering that they should probably be blackened out from the gunpowder.

lol, yeah, that pilot is tucked away safely now. ^^

Mmyeah, , I've been thinking about those launchers. First I did want to make them blackened but the more I looked at them, they more they look like they're one-shot affairs. They almost look like landmines stuck to the front with cut lines by which the 'fold' open when exploding. On the other hand, they could be a bit dirtier...
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Lol join the adeptus mechanicus get your free boner upgrade to the thrapmaster 40,0000
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post

And I also applied a first of many layers of weathering powders on and around the tracks. It's not bad but it needs a lot refining. Even though it was a mix of 5 different colours (some more than others), it came out predominantly reddish like clay. I feel I need some lighter, more sandy tones to contrast better with the red of the hull I feel.
    What do you guys think?
    The powders look like rust to me. Not sure if that was what you were trying for or not. If so, unless the Land Raider has been sitting still for long periods of time, the raised bits on the treads and anywhere the metal rubs on itself should be nice and shiny. Those parts would get rubbed across the terrain as the vehicle moves, effectively scraping off any rust that would have formed. The exception being any deep gouges that would not come in regular contact.
    Last edited by Bloodhowl; 10-12-2011 at 05:17 PM.

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Blog Entries

Who'd have thought a Blood Angels Land raider would FINALLY appear in Mephs thread lol! We've had everything else, it was only a matter of time I suppose
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

Aye! An actual Land Raider again, who'da thunk it! :-O It's like, the circle is round man, like, I was like totally wow, like I'm back on the first page man. Like DJ View man.

Hmm, the weathering powders were meant to convey dirt, earth, dried soil, clay even... Alrighty then, there are definitely going on more sandy colours (as I don't have true brown powders, maybe something to rectify)
    Last edited by Meph; 10-13-2011 at 11:24 AM.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

milliput dust mixed with pva and brown paint makes excellent mud.
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/212961?browseid=1204461
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/212972?browseid=1204461

glad you sorted out the de ja vu thing thought i was having a turn there for a moment..few...might even end up with a giant bloodangels terminator lumbering over the horizon at this rate if were not careful lol

a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.

That cardboard palette sounds very interesting... It does seem a bit tricky for mixing inks though seeing as the ratio of turpentine vs paint is so large. Or do you mean, first mix around the oil paint on carton for a while and then scoop into a little pot for mixing?
    Looking back at your pics I see why you asked this question, I dont mix my oils in a separate jar too make up an ink any more, I just mix what I need. I have a small, 3 inch diameter porceline bowl, I actually think it is used to hold ink for Japanese Calligraphy, something I picked up at a art store. Any way I will put a bit of mineral spirits in the bowl, and then after my paint has sat for about 15 minutes on the cardboard, then I add paint and mix unit I have the consistency that I am looking for. Really the only reason I do this is that Mineral Spirits dry faster than linseed oil.

Ashton

Nice wavy tanks Cassar! That dirt like like good chunks of dried and caked mud. Good stuff, although I'm not sure I want mine on that thick.
    Ah terminator... indeed! i first urgently need to finish two cookie-cutter marines for the display project, but after that I'm determined to start the termy. ^^

On another note, some over at another forum asked me what brands of oil paint I use so I though I'd share it here as well.
    I just bought the colours I needed off of Ebay from random webshops. My experience with oil paints is that most of them are quite to very good. A general rule of thumb to buy them would be is to buy a true arts brand or high quality modeling. It doesn't hurt to go for the medium-high priced stuff as it's not that expensive anyhow and it will last forever. And you want a paint that has a decent medium and high quality pigment, quality does show. mine cost somewhere between 3 - 6€ a piece.
    In general, oil paints are just basically an oil based medium and pigment so there's not much that can go wrong with them. Also handy to know is that the colours names are universal as the paint has been around since hundreds and hundreds of years. The oil paint Burnt Umber for example was first used in 1650...

-Top one is from Bob Ross, the afro'd painting pixie. Actually this black is one of the easiest to thin oil paints I've had so far. Dissolves very smoothly with turpentine.
    -Middle one is from a 'true' artsy brand. The colour shade is universal, Burnt Umber, absolutely perfect for grease stains and for rust when mixed with weathering powder.
    -The bottom one is from MIG and is 'Shadow Brown', I used that over the whole of my vehicles for shading. Made a wash with it and brushed over the whole lot except the silver metallic detailing.
    -The lighter is fine produce bought from a nocturnal Pakistani entrepreneur.

Last edited by Meph; 10-13-2011 at 01:47 PM.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Completely unrelated, but seeing as some manga series were brought up now and then, I though this might interest some people. Especially the third paragraph, how frickin' cool is that?
    http://defensetech.org/2011/10/13/f-...et/#more-14958
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

All these vehicles look great... Looking at these is making me itch to get my raven completed and get the airbrush on him!
    If the printed word was spoken, so much truth would be so broken...

Soooo... scratch that itch and get crackin'!
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

That helmet in that article is insane. The HUD thing is so cool! The space marines are starting to seem a bit behind in tech
    Easily distracted by shin-

Soooo... scratch that itch and get crackin'!
    *cough* people in glass houses *cough*

People in glass houses...

...should not get elephants as pets.
    or
    ..., beware of bird poo on the windows?
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Quote Originally Posted by Aesu View Post
    That helmet in that article is insane. The HUD thing is so cool! The space marines are starting to seem a bit behind in tech
    It's so hard to predict technology very far in the future, or if you do, it confuses the viewer.

If you look at Sci-Fi shows more than 20 or 30 years old, you'll see hard controls (knobs, dials, buttons), but somewhere in there the touch interface became popular (I'm looking at you Star Wars and Star Trek). If you go too far with technology, say, mind control, the audience has no clue what's going on, or it takes some extra suspension of disbelief. Thus we end up with prequels (again, SW/ST) that incorporate newer technology even though they are chronologically before the buttons and switches.

So just plug your SMs in. No wait, that's been done. Drones? See, it's hard to think past what you know.

Edit: ANNNNNDDDD sorry for the complete derailment. The tank is looking good. I'm in agreement that the dirt is too orange right now. Also I would tend to agree with the one shot grenade/land mine launchers, else why would there be 12 on the front? It doesn't follow. Additionally, I believe they are right above the treads, so it would not be possible to reload them from the back.
    Last edited by Benihana; 10-15-2011 at 03:52 AM.