Blood Angels Land Raider Crusader - Page 52
Page 52 of 68 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1344

Thread: Blood Angels Land Raider Crusader

Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    It's the needle's tip that's bent just ever so slightly, so it's not super precise anymore and can produce tiny splatters now and then.

Well, since those needles are always from such a soft metal, I was just kinda curious if perhaps there are 3rd party suppliers that make make needles out of harder metal, or even fancy carbon stuff, or polished meteor or something, lol. But indeed, weird sizes direct you back to the original supplier.
    The bend in the tip will cause the splattering for sure. However, you can straighten these out. I've done it a few times. You need a piece of glass (an old mirror will do) and an scalpel blade, new or used, doesn't really matter. (I've looked this up on youtube and can only find people doing it with idea's I've not tried or tested and as I've not tried them I can't be sure they work perfectly).

The needle has 2 angles, there is the long straight part that slides into the airbrush and then the angle that tapers down to the point.

You need to hold the needle on that angle so that whole taper is flat to the mirror. Then getting your scalpel you will very very gently rub down the needle from the back to the front, As you do this it will gradually straighten the tip.

You can then if you feel it needs it get some very fine wet and dry paper - 1200 or greater and slide the needle along it with the sharp tip trailing and take out any fine marks you've made.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it and this isn't always perfect, I've dropped my needle onto concrete floors and hooked the tip right over. When I tried to straighten it this way it broke the tiniest part off the tip, but I worked it smooth with wet and dry paper and it was all good. I've also used this method on slightly bend tips and it's sorted it out. That might help you for a bit until the new one arrives ?
    In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

And I don't think any needles are made from soft metal... It's more the fine-ness (is that a word?) that causes them to bend. If you can make an "unbendable airbrush needle" you'll sell millions. Rotring did it with their superb airbrush by giving the needle a rounded end. But no one liked the way it worked so it wasn't popular and didn't sell well.

Quote Originally Posted by Digganob View Post
    By george, that bull head is stuck in a bubble, haha, totally epic Meph
    Bubble Bull!

Quote Originally Posted by SaintToad View Post
    ​Nice job on Taurus. Will you be working on other busts, as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    Taurus is looking good, suitably fierce. Loving the dark tone and the innovative display.
    Cheers, guys! Yeah, from now and then. The busts I've painted so far were all birthday gifts so I'm sure there'll be more to follow. I've got quite a few larger non-40K models still boxed up as well. Some models from E2046, and even Cang The Implacable dragon. Good times ahead! But first some red...

Quote Originally Posted by eyeayen View Post
    And I don't think any needles are made from soft metal... It's more the fine-ness (is that a word?) that causes them to bend. If you can make an "unbendable airbrush needle" you'll sell millions. Rotring did it with their superb airbrush by giving the needle a rounded end. But no one liked the way it worked so it wasn't popular and didn't sell well.
    Good tip on the sharpening! (badum-tsh!) My limited metallurgy knowledge tells me that steel is can be either soft & sharp, or hard & brittle. It's the alloy of sharp & hard that's the most difficult, and thus expensive, to make. Probably there's aren't any companies that have invested the time and money to set up a production process for such high-end needles.
    Hmmm, I wonder what the market would be for expensive, but very high-quality, long-lasting needles. Titanium or carbon needles... It sounds like you'd need aeronautical level of materials and production for that. If I was rich and more entrepreneurial...
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Cheers, mate!

I'm hoping to be able to paint again in a day or two. I just finished installing 3.6 meters worth of book cabinet against the wall behind my painting desk and I can almost see the desk again. Boxes, so many boxes... 30 Ikea boxes and around 30 filled with books and papers...
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

OOF! I switched to ebooks after clearing out my dad's house after his stroke. It broke my heart to give away/ throw away so many mags and books. Never mind all the effort. I will now save my kid that trouble! Here's a drive sweetie - wipe it and stick daddy (or his body) in a geezer freezer and keep collecting those pension cheques with your POA and buy yourself something nice
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Hmmm, I wonder what the market would be for expensive, but very high-quality, long-lasting needles. Titanium or carbon needles... It sounds like you'd need aeronautical level of materials and production for that. If I was rich and more entrepreneurial...
    It is a thought but maybe too expensive for the average broke airbrush artist to afford

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    OOF! I switched to ebooks after clearing out my dad's house after his stroke. It broke my heart to give away/ throw away so many mags and books. Never mind all the effort. I will now save my kid that trouble! Here's a drive sweetie - wipe it and stick daddy (or his body) in a geezer freezer and keep collecting those pension cheques with your POA and buy yourself something nice
    lol
    I've actually been thinking to buy myself a Kobo ereader though. That book case is not going to get any bigger since it's already filling a complete wall, lol. Although I'm pretty sure that there are some book series I'll continue to buy. The Expanse series jumps to mind, Peter F. Hamilton's work (damn, most of his books are 1000 pages+, but man, what a ride.), The Horus Heresy series, as well as Dan Abnett's Inquisitor series (Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Pariah...), and his Gaunt's Ghosts series, if he ever gets round to writing the follow-up books.
    Arrr, I do love the tactile aspect of holding a good book, but sheer volume will push me digitally for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by eyeayen View Post
    It is a thought but maybe too expensive for the average broke airbrush artist to afford
    Hmm, true. But quite a few people might be tempted to make a longer term investment. I think the main trouble might be that if somebody buys an 'Everlasting™ ' needle of 10-50 EUR, that will actually last him more than a few decades, they won't come back quickly to buy a replacement.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

There's something about holding a book over an e book have to agree and really love Dan Abnett's books, his wife is also very good. Just hope he does some more Gaunt's Ghost books soon
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

Hmm, true. But quite a few people might be tempted to make a longer term investment. I think the main trouble might be that if somebody buys an 'Everlasting™ ' needle of 10-50 EUR, that will actually last him more than a few decades, they won't come back quickly to buy a replacement.
    In all honesty I don't know how many needles I've bought for my Iwata in the 30 years I've owned it. 3 or 4 maybe. Probably a similar amount of nozzles. They're not really an item I've found that I've damaged a lot, although when I was working continually on fine detail stuff and had the air cap off then it was susceptible to it but that was my own fault. I do love the fact you've trademarked the "Everlasting™ Needle", nice touch

I guess it's just good practice to always take the nozzle out (work over a white towel or small box so if you drop it then it doesn't roll off your work bench), then pull the needle out through the front of the airbrush and when replacing it into the airbrush carefully put it in from the back. Little things like that will make it last longer.

Cool, cheers for the tips.

In the meantime, I have finally found my desk again after having assembled 30 Ikea boxes, and unpacked +-30 boxes of books. Thank the gods for electric screwdrivers and the free time to do it all.

Assembly of the Deimos' almost complete. Most of the fiddly bits I'll leave off during painting I think, just to make my life easier. The bolters, front rakes, the little exhaust mushrooms on the Vindi, the shield of the vindicator gun, etc, are currently not glued on yet.
    So are the tracks. But when took the sprues in my hand to cut 'm loose and glue them on, I stayed my hand. I suddenly remembered that back when I was assembling the Spartan's metal replacement tracks, I found out that T-55 metal tracks in 1/35 should fit Rhino's perfectly. So I guess I'll put the assembly on hold and order some Friulmodel tracks from their webshop.

So the wise thing would be to continue on the tactical squad. Or do I listen to the siren's song of Miss Sidetrack and start assembling a FW techmarine? All those vehicles and dreads sure need a cogboy, don't ya think?

FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

The Siren's song worked...

Prepped and ready to go!
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Should be a great one too paint, are you doing your normal red to tie in with the rest ?

Always envied those who work on these humongous army projects with tanks and all other large stuff. But because yours are so pretty I envy this much more. Can't wait Meph!!!

Yup, absolutely. He's going to be BA red, like the rest of the troops. I don't really feel it merits doing him just a shade more towards the rust/terracotta.
    I'm pondering my first dilemma with him though. The helmet, I chose it because of the beefy jaw piece that conveys enough of a Techmarine vibe without it being the regular added plates on a techmarine helmet. But I'm wondering what to do with the jaw. It could be a nice piece to do in black, with a red helmet, and a copper/gold crest. But it could be that then it will feel a bit too 'detached' from the inner helmet, whereas if I would do the jaw in red as well, it might convey a more solid look.

What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers, BA.

Well, why don't you start an army on the side? Piece by piece? Hell, I started this in '08 or '09.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

As black can make an object appear smaller, would go with the red for the solid look with the copper/gold crest

Didn't realise that Deimos Vindicators were such a cool model. Might have to stretch the wallet to one.

I'd go with solid red. Going to enjoy watching you paint these

Quote Originally Posted by wargamesculptor View Post
    As black can make an object appear smaller, would go with the red for the solid look with the copper/gold crest
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    Didn't realise that Deimos Vindicators were such a cool model. Might have to stretch the wallet to one.
    I'd go with solid red. Going to enjoy watching you paint these
    Indeed. Red it is then!
    Yeah, those Deimos vehicles are really nice I think. Especially that Vindicator is such a chunky beast.
    The lights took some remodeling to put them on though. The Deimos variants don't have them mounted on FW's site, but I feel they add a nice extra touch.

And in the mean time, the reddening has begun!

FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

The reddening continues...

-Base coat (50/50 dark red and medium red) (Man, those new GW colours names just do not stick in my mind. If someone is interested in them, I'll gladly write 'm down correctly though)
    -Dark red wash
    -Medium red drybrush
    -light red drybrush
    -light red + flat orange drybrush
    -flat orange drybrush
    -flat orange +Ice Yellow (Vallejo colour) drybrush
    -Ice Yellow drybrush

Now the model is drying so I can apply another dark red wash and a red glaze, after which the highlights will need some touching up again.

And I found THE perfect re-use for a leftover piece of LED strip it's just perfect lighting wrapped around the light tent like that.

FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

The reddening and blackening complete!
    In the end I gave the model a red glaze, a very slight touch-up with ice yellow on certain edges.
    And then did ànother red glaze and ice yellow touch-up to get the tone of the red just right and still have some light highlights.

[EDIT] Oh, and the red got a coat of Klear before doing the black. Best to protect those subtle drybrushed gradients.

Last edited by Meph; 12-13-2016 at 12:25 PM.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Progressing nicely mate, have you considered doing the servo arm in black and yellow chevrons ?