Page 64 of 65 FirstFirst ... 145462636465 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1285

Thread: Blood Angels Land Raider Crusader

Updates! Updates! Come get yer updates!

Slow progress over the past two weeks, but a lot of progress over the few days seeing as I've got some vacation.

First off. I finished the plasma effect on the Deredeo. It took a little longer as the larger coils called for a slightly different approach to the little plasma weapons. Those were done easily by basecoating them white, drybrushing Gobling Green, and drybrushing Ork Flesh (Yes, I still have paintable paint from way back when the animals were still talking).
    For the larger coils on the dread, I needed to clean up quite a few areas and drybrush again, and in the end I gave the coils a wash of extremely thinned Goblin Green, with a light touch-up drybrush of Ork Flesh.

And then the time was ripe for a little side track. A friend of mine got the Rising Sun boardgame that has a metric fuck-ton of awesome miniatures and I greedily jumped on the opportunity to paint them. But seeing as those minis have a 'canon' colour scheme that goes with the game, it means that I had to push the shades of red I had to extremes that I rarely dared upon before. It took me quite a while, sitting down in front of my painting desk, and after reaching enlightenment, and squinting really, really hard for a very long time, I began to discern difference in shade and tint.

First up is the Oni of Plagues, this guy:

Seeing as it a mini with rippling muscle and flowing robes I needed to revisit another ancient technique I don't use often; blending.
    I decided to have a goo ad the very finnicky 'selective blending' that a lot of CMON folks have mastered. Damn tricky, but fun to do, if not extremely time consuming.
    And of course, this particular oni had to be to be the most difficut red of them all, something called 'hwhite'!

But it's not too shabby for a first attempt, I hope. I also realised that I just can't treat these models as ultimate show pieces because theer are dozens of them. And I've got more incming, also from a few kickstarted board games I backed myself, although those are still a few months away.

Any feedback and c&c is welcome. I'm particularly interested in tricks & tips on how to have a speedy painting process while still maintaining a decent level of quality.
    Last edited by Meph; 04-05-2018 at 05:27 AM.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Default Ok so far the blends are nicely dones two ways that come to mind about giving great t

Your probably not finished but I’ll throw in a two centser. Just keep in mind that the darker the shades and the lighter the contest the more pop and 3D shapes will become much more pronounced to the eye. Now there are two ways to get blrnddd gradients and each of these two ways has many diff types of routines to go about using them. You’ll have to play around and practice but I can give you a starting point.so first off a typical routine of colors picked( and color choice alone has to be researched to get the most bang for your buck) so starting st a kid time color it would be this template - so it’s in the middle of the equation is your mid tone= basecolor
    2nd shade 1st shade / MIDTONE - base color / 1st highlight 2nd highlight . Now as you get better at picking and learning your colors you can increase this five step process and add white as a 3rd highlight(light points) and black into the recesses (black lining) and even start adding cool tones to the shades and warm tones to the highlights etc.

NOW - let’s get to how to blend these collers . There is two brush blending which it’s hard to describe (however there are videos) the one thing I can say is you have to have a biggger brush (Raphael synthetic size 3 these hold the paint wet longer and then a smaller one Raphael synthetic 2) this is how I was taught and when you switch your brushes you have to be FAST -I can’t emphasize much more than QUICKER THAN QUICK . That’s the secret or else it will dry to fast and not be achievable.you can practice on all different surfaces as -SECRET WEAPON MINIATURES SELLS PRACTICE STICKS !!!” They have a stick made of resin and each 3 or 4 cm their is a diff textures surface (eg a cape, armor,cloth, leather aprons , face for eye work) it’s great . Or you have enough miniatures practice on them . All good.

NOW THE OTHER WAY TO BLEND- ULTIMATE BLENDING(juicing) this is highly sought after to learn as it’s the simplest
    i use this sicks uses this and probably everybody uses it too, foxy ,canncann!!! I mean everybody . It’s basically-GLAZING IN YOUR SHADES AND HIGHLIGHTS -BLENFING THROUGH TRANSPARENCY IS BASICALLY WHAT IS GOING ON. You can search on Oz painters for “JUICING!”” Or a YouTube video called ULTIMATE BLENDING!!!
    you absolutely need to thin out the Paint, washes , etc whatever you medium is and cut it also with drying retardant and or flow improver , ( lahmian medium and reapers drying retarder is what I use.!!!
    it can take me anywhere from 20-25 passes to get the intensity of the colors. GOOD NEWS - they dry so fast in b/n passes by the time your ready going trough your areas and then your back to where you started and you can start your passing again. So this one blending through transparency where the colors dry fast and the first one you need the paint to stay wet to feather it in and need to stay wet to achieve your results.

A 3rd way to blend is “THE LOADED BRUSH TECHNIQUE” . This requires ALOT OF PRACTICE. They all do .heres another tip . Try to learn all of them -pick what you have the easiest time with and what gives you most confidence . Try fiddling around with them to learn them to some degree . The reason is I use them all . You have to be a carpenter tee with all tools in your toolbox. Can’t just hammer nails what happens if you come across a screw . Need a screwdriver.
    and to tell you the truth certain surfaces call for certain techniques to get the best results- faces and flesh I use ( juicing) , long flowing capes I prefer wet lending.etc etc. I took my time writing this. Try to read it -reread it -and then practice-reread it again and practice some more. Your already ahead of he game bud. You’ve had an experience with this and did a great job. So go got mr MEPH.

I don’t understand, I thought this is blood angel thread? Is this some kind of strange parrelel dimension?

only kidding

very good good first attempt if you ask me. I like the colours you have gone for. Great tones .

Deffinatly good advice about learning a few blending techniques, definitely helps for some situations. I like combo of two brush blending to get things started , it’s very quick, then glazing afterwards to smooth things off. If you master 2 brush blending you don't need to glaze after. Definitely what I would like to do.

ally mcvey has a good two brush blending tutorial on her YouTube channel, worth a look .
    Last edited by Coyotebreaks; 04-04-2018 at 03:00 PM.
    My WIP thread - where the painting and rambling happens http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...ing-lark-again

Cool, thanks a bunch for the feedback, guys. It helps a lot.

Well, that Ultimate Blending did show me a lot. First, I started with the mid tone applied. thenI thinned my paint to somewhere between 1:10 and 1:15, took about ten passes consecutively darker, and about the same going lighter. The mid tone had a slight green tint, and the shades/highlights were a darker and a lighter blueish grey.

Working with a larger brush also went rather well. Although it does have a fine tip, I still tend to hit the same spots on the smaller areas. This means that the transitions are not as smooth as I would have liked. But practice will improve that I guess, but still, I need to find the right balance between speed and effect as I would really to put a good number of models on the table that are decent enough, in a short amount of time.

Actually, I think I'm going to go with wet-blending for the cloak. It's something I'm familiar with already, I'll just need to adjust to doing it more layers, with way thinner paint. That might provide a better effect on such a large cloak.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

MEPH MY MAN!!! Coming in with some bad ass painting. Those coils are looking bonkers man. Very well done. And then thee ONI...holy crap thats awesome
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Well that dreadnought is well up to your typical excellent standard. We'll have to get a picture of your whole force so far sometime, I bet it's an impressive sight.

Don't understand that other space marine though. He seems to be tainted by Chaos and in need of some purging.
    error 404: signature not found

In addition to what bam said about blending,when I first started learning the technique I would layer colours down first then use juicing or glazing to blend them together, it can be helpful to still see where the colours you want are meant to be, now I usually wet blend about 3 mid colours before I start the process just to speed things up a bit, there's really no hidden trick to it it's just keep going until it's smooth

Quote Originally Posted by Digganob View Post
    MEPH MY MAN!!! Coming in with some bad ass painting. Those coils are looking bonkers man. Very well done. And then thee ONI...holy crap thats awesome
    Thanks man! Yeah, I like how the coils turned out myself. They do look glowy, don't they?
    Well, there's about 20 Oni and Kami, and the nthere are the regular clan minis. It's along, joyful road ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtail View Post
    Well that dreadnought is well up to your typical excellent standard. We'll have to get a picture of your whole force so far sometime, I bet it's an impressive sight.
    Don't understand that other space marine though. He seems to be tainted by Chaos and in need of some purging.
    Cheers! And next up today, some more blending, but also prepping the 40K minis for their decals!
    Oh, and the inquisition has been notified to keep an eye on those strange Oni fellas babbling on in Nipponese.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicks View Post
    In addition to what bam said about blending,when I first started learning the technique I would layer colours down first then use juicing or glazing to blend them together, it can be helpful to still see where the colours you want are meant to be, now I usually wet blend about 3 mid colours before I start the process just to speed things up a bit, there's really no hidden trick to it it's just keep going until it's smooth
    Well, today I'm having a go at that cloak. Gonna try some thinned wet-blending.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Nice work on those plasma coils meph, they look really cool...
    and what a fantastic start to that oni!!! The skin is looking good, and great work with the white, very hard to get a clean look... if you are looking to really replicate that concept art, I would say they have used a pink/light flesh tone as a shade? Well that’s by looking at the pic on my phone anyways... but what you have done so far looks great..

Those coils really do look nice and glowy and you are off to a great start on the blue skin. A nice change of pace for you I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Meph View Post
    Updates! Updates! Come get yer updates!

Awww man you'r brutal! Why not SMALL updates more often! LOL will come back tomorrow....

Hey Meph, apologies long time no post in here.

Deredeo coming on nicely....what’s left now? Head and weathering? Looking forward to seeing this one done (tempted to do one myself at some point too

those Rising Sun minis look great....what are the moulds like? CMON games minis can be a bit loose in detail sometimes and annoyingly pre glued. Great start though!

Oh, I blinked and ten days passed :S

Sorry for the lack of updates, guys, but painting kinda ground down to a halt because of the jet lag of getting back up early again after a week-and-a-bit of holidays.
    I'm going to paint some today and post the progress as well. (There, instant personal deadline. Take that, me!)

In the mean time. I did play another game with a mate.
    160 power level points of Orks vs BA.

I don't know why, but I kinda expected at least a few large ork contraptions, but he went with a horde army, pure and simple.
    In the first round (his) my Deredeo, Vindicator got ripped apart by a bucket worth of shots, and the Baal Predator was riddled with holes to within an inch of its existence.
    85% of the surface of his setup length of the table was filled base to base with orks, while I had a sprinkling of units. (granted I did start with 36 minis in reserve).

We played 1.5 rounds and I got utterly flattened by a tsunami of dice. I did give him a good oomph and ouch here and there, but nothing to stem the tide. I still had to deploy the tactical squads from their transports and they might have gotten one salvo in before being swamped up in a mob of greenskins in CC. We played a full afternoon and I had to leave due to evening plans, but it was fun nontheless.

https://imgur.com/a/A9gK5

My apologies for the fuzziness in a lot of pictures, but the wide-angle clip on lens I used on the phone allows for great angles but it's very sensitive to movement.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Holy moly that’s a butt load of orks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Creations View Post
    Holy moly that’s a butt load of orks!!!
    Pffft, that's just a couple of orks. I can field more
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Pffft, that's just a couple of orks. I can field more
    haha well now I have a sudden need to see this horde

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Creations View Post
    haha well now I have a sudden need to see this horde
    Now I have a need to bring them all out and show the world.
    ." -Me-

Anxiously waiting. the rising sun models are awesome the blue skin and white robe look great. Your def going to take to this very quickly.

I finally got round to put the photos I took Sunday onto the PC. The vehicles are a bit shiny right now as they're in their gloss coat to apply the decals. I'll blend them in over the week, and then I can move on.

In the end I decided not to further embellish the front bumper. The decals on the flanks are already pushing the limit in terms of visual balance. But I wanted to stick with the insignia standards I've got going on in the army. Vehicle number in normal- and roman numbering, a campaign badge, a few chapter badges, and the black blood drop for the 5th company, and then some bling here and there.

The dread received the same insignia, and I managed to put a fancy ribbon on his hoodie collar, although the gloss coat makes it difficult to see.

And then the Oni. It was touch-and-go for a moment and I was just working with the darkest tone, got a phonecall, and fumbled gloriously... But I did manage to straighten it out a bit. I think I'll just do a few more highlights and then move on. I realized that I have little over a month to go before our annual gaming weekend and I've got a box full of minis to paint. Not the whole Rising Sun box of minis though, just a selection. the whole box is easily over 60 minis... :S

But yeah, so I'll need to paint them a lot quicker, or at least get them to a visually interesting stage, and hope they survive a few games without a protective coat on. Luckily most of the crew are familiar with miniature games so there's only minimal chance of ham-fisted babooning.

Now I have a need to bring them all out and show the world.
    We want pics!
    Last edited by Meph; 04-17-2018 at 04:12 PM.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project