Help with a red marine :)

Thread: Help with a red marine :)

Default Help with a red marine :)

Ok I'm painting up a marine. It is for a gift. I've airbrushed the model and highlighted from scab red up to blood reed, zenithally. I've put in the metallics, washed them and am happy with the direction that is going in. The chainsword is sorted, going to have a checkerd/striped yellow and black theme with blood. The boltgun casing im not sure on ideas? The helmet will be painted separately, NMM gold (already got a tester and it looks good )

What I can't figure out is what to do with the panel lines in the armor. normally I would just fill them with black but on this mini I feel it would not work given the lighting scheme. Ideas?

Well, there's definitely gotta be something in there or the model will start to flatten out and you'll lose all that color work you've done so far. Possibly using a Dark brown color (Scorched Brown/Dark Flesh) would give the same effect without the stark contrast of pure black. Since you're doing the hazard stripe pattern on the chainsword, artistically the theme should be repeated or referenced somewhere to help tie the miniature together. Possibly doing your bolt-pistol casing in the same scheme and maybe one of the kneepads in yellow/black would help achieve this. Just my thoughts

The ikkle panels could be a groovy place to introduce some light weathering. Slightly shaded lines to give more contrast to the edges sporting lightly chipped paint, as if they've been rubbed or prised during some donning/maintenance of the armour.

I live down in Dorset with the cider and the combine harvesters yaargh!

mix some snot green into your blood red and hey presto insta-shading for red!

Awesome ideas guys cheers! I might try the brown but with some green mixed in for the contrast. Weathering around them is a great idea, I wanted this marine fairly clean but was thinking some weathering would be needed, will definitely try it

I've been experimenting with using a combination of gryphon sepia & thraka green washes on my latest termies, looks good & not too obvious in comparison with my older termies, but makes them seem more vibrant

Or how about a wash with Burnt Umber oil paint? That always has a very nice effect.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Im fairly new to this but iv found using slightly watered down chestnut ink makes a nice shade for reds.

^True that.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Quote Originally Posted by eats_brains View Post
    Im fairly new to this but iv found using slightly watered down chestnut ink makes a nice shade for reds.

Eats you are 100 percent correct....