LOTR Wood elf

Thread: LOTR Wood elf

Default LOTR Wood elf

Hey CMON,

I have been looking through this website for a while now but this is my first post on here and I just wanted some constructive criticism on my first photo: http://coolminiornot.com/257413.

Anyway let me know what you think.

Nice color scheme.
    The pupils look like cat eyes.

Welcome to the mad house! As for the miniature, it's pretty decent overall. I agree that he's got a bit of the cat eye thing going on. Outside of that you've got good base colors on all the sections. The next step would be doing some shading and highlighting on the surfaces to bring out the depth a little more the large areas (esp. the cloak) tend to look a little flat if you don't.

I'm a sucker for both wood elves and very natural paint schemes (actually, I'm just a sucker!)

I really dig this. The face is very nice, there is a 'friendly' quality to him that just adds so much character. *maybe* darken up the eyebrows just a smidge to help frame those eyes. I see what Shawn is saying about the cat pupils, but that's most likely because of the EXTREME closeup. I think they look pretty damn good.

A bit more highlighting will make the clothing pop, but I wouldnt do too much, as you may lose that natural look.

My only real complaint is the sword. The metallic looks out of place and too 'thick'. The handle also needs more defining.

Obviously, you have to finish off the base as well. I think with attention to those things, I'd give this an 8.

i like him. he could do with more highlighting/shading to pop more, but i like the realistic feel he has
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys. I see your point about the more highlighting shading. @supervike what do you mean when you say the metallic looks thick? Any suggestions to remedy that?

Quote Originally Posted by Noddwyr View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys. I see your point about the more highlighting shading. @supervike what do you mean when you say the metallic looks thick? Any suggestions to remedy that?

Yes. Thin them.

LOL

I think seriously though just a few layers of very thin metallic paint over your basecoat color should be enough. Then maybe a dark wash to help define the areas of the flat blade. I hope that helps, cuz all it did was to confuse me.

Oh I see you meant that very literally. lol. Thanks for the tip, it does help. I am always scared to thin metallic paints too much, so I guess thats why. I feel like they will lose their metallic sheen. I think I a going to paint a mini with lots of metal next just to get the hang of it.

Yep, the best way to get better is to just paint like crazy. Keep trying new things, and keep posting here!

@supervike what do you mean when you say the metallic looks thick? Any suggestions to remedy that?
    I think I a going to paint a mini with lots of metal next just to get the hang of it.
    A suggestion that you may want to consider is to invest in some Vallejo Airbrush Metallic paints. Smoother metallic particles = Smoother paint effect.
    Also have a read of this article: http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/649
    Worthwhile.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Thanks. I have actually been doing a little reading and I might invest in the Vallejo Air paints, though I think I am going to hold off for a while and try to do some NMM on my next models just to get a better understanding of highlighting and shading, since I think that is partially my problem too. After that I plan to move onto TMP. Thanks for that article, it was really helpful.

welcome, how long you been paintin?

i think you got a good start to the painting hobby, all the above guys have got it right, any critque they give you you should apply it across the board, for example don't just focus on thinning your metalics focus on thinning all colours and layers all the time.
    shades and highlights should be kept neat and clear, wether your layering or blending.
    when all this comes togrther your nmm should be a great job.

good luck, if you need help........... ask

I'VE ADDED WEBCAM LESSONS NOW TOO!
    And a YOUTUBE channel
    Instagram and FaceBook too

Thanks, i have actually only been painting for about 5-6 months now, and have only painted about 15 or so models thus far. I have recently realized the importance of using glazes and thinning my paint a bit more than I have been in the past. Though I am still having trouble with consistency. The biggest thing I have trouble with though is creating enough contrast, though I have realized that it is just as much about where you place the highlights and shades as how many highlights and shades you use, so i am trying to work on that. Gonna order up some more models soon and start a WIP here so that I can get more feedback.