Tabletop scenery
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tabletop scenery

Default Tabletop scenery

Hello fellow hobbists!
    In this thread we will post photos of our modeling and painting projects. We hope you will enjoy it.

There's no better way to start then with our latest building - Guard Tower:

We will share with you the painting process of this huge building and update you every few days as the project evolves.
    We want to give our building a very naturalistic look and so far we are very happy with the result.
    The photos are not best quality (the colors are a bit pale) 'cause I forgot the equipment in the studio, but they are good enough to show the progress on the building.

Front view:

Side view:

Stonework:

Next: we will add some details around the tower and start painting stone stairs for the inside.

Tell us your thoughts.

looks bloomin lovely. love the depth between the stones. are you the guys who make the masters stone by stone?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Blog Entries

Well it looks utterly amazing and i think that model has most certainly been built stone by stone!!! Cool stuff.

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Thanks guys!

Yes, we do the walls on our master models stone by stone.

Alright, here are some shots of the details surrounding the tower:

Interior of the ground floor of the tower is also finished - pictures coming soon.

The first floor of the stone tower is up next:

so good it hurts. amazing effort is evident in this piece.

Quote Originally Posted by tabletop world View Post
    thanks guys!

Yes, we do the walls on our master models stone by stone.
    nutters!!!!!!!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

bloody awesome work!

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    nutters!!!!!!!
    second that!

Thanks guys!

Time for an update:
    First floor of the tower is almost finished, we just need to add some grass between the stone blocks:

Ground floor interior, still missing some details:

First floor interior, no details yet:

Next we are going to paint the details (barrels, wooden stairs, hatch...) for ground and first floor interior, and 8 huge consoles which hold the guard rooms on the second floor.

Amazing sculpts. Great paint job too.

Cool looking model guys

Where do you get the stone strips from that you cut down to make the master models? I can't find anything that looks like what you use (only dolls house roof tiles!)

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by generulpoleaxe View Post
    Cool looking model guys

Where do you get the stone strips from that you cut down to make the master models? I can't find anything that looks like what you use (only dolls house roof tiles!)
    First we break a large stone into smaller pieces, then we use pliers to cut out small stone blocks. When we have enough material we start to build the stone walls like in real life. This is the only way to achieve natural look.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabletop World View Post
    Thanks guys!

First we break a large stone into smaller pieces, then we use pliers to cut out small stone blocks. When we have enough material we start to build the stone walls like in real life. This is the only way to achieve natural look.

cool

is it slate that you use?
    It's the only rock that I can think of that wire cutters would actualy cut.

is their any chance that you would be willing to cast up some of the older buildings?
    I understand from the warseer thread that those moulds were more costly to use, even so, some work on the master parts may allow you to recast them in a more efficient manner (giving you enough profit to make it worth while to cast them again.)

Really an amazing work, most impressive

Once, I myself also wanted to build up some buildings stone by stone - but working with Hirst Arts moulds already takes quite much time, if you modify always some single stones and the transitions - like I do. So up to now, I had no time to create something similar to your Watch Tower.

But when seeing your results here on CMON, I really get the temptation to give it a try some day... *WOW*

I also would like to know which material you use - is it real stone or an artificial one such as plaster or the like?

This thing is ill.... that good king of ill...

splendid work!

Greetings, Taggi
    How do you know, that Taggi has been assimilated to borg: "Rezitanz fiutail ist."

Sorry for violating the english language.

Please rate my comments, even if there is critism in it, as a personal point of view. I do not have the absolute truth in minature painting and every word said by me is only a suggestion, that may be thought over or simple ignored. So, happy painting!

And my own Dragons:

Thank you very much guys!

Quote Originally Posted by generulpoleaxe View Post
    cool

is it slate that you use?
    It's the only rock that I can think of that wire cutters would actualy cut.

is their any chance that you would be willing to cast up some of the older buildings?
    I understand from the warseer thread that those moulds were more costly to use, even so, some work on the master parts may allow you to recast them in a more efficient manner (giving you enough profit to make it worth while to cast them again.)
    Yes, it is slate.
    We are not going to cast old models anymore. However, we will remake most of them and they will look even better. We are currently working on our new Merchant's House.

Quote Originally Posted by DunErwit View Post
    Really an amazing work, most impressive

Once, I myself also wanted to build up some buildings stone by stone - but working with Hirst Arts moulds already takes quite much time, if you modify always some single stones and the transitions - like I do. So up to now, I had no time to create something similar to your Watch Tower.

But when seeing your results here on CMON, I really get the temptation to give it a try some day... *WOW*

I also would like to know which material you use - is it real stone or an artificial one such as plaster or the like?
    We use slate stone. Slates are very fine-grained rocks that consist of layers. We use a hammer and a chisel to split those layers apart. Then we use nipper pliers to cut the layers into small stone blocks.
    Hope it helps.

Hi guys!

Time for an update.
    We finished eight huge supporting beams which will hold guard rooms on the second floor:

...and some details for interior:

by god your like little mini masons
    Ogryns. If we time it just right, the Eldar will all be going "What the..." just when what's left of the Company breaks cover over here and piles into them. No spreading out, no fancy stuff, just smash through. Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.

— Commander Fleyitch +++