The Fellowship of the Ring

Thread: The Fellowship of the Ring

Default The Fellowship of the Ring

Here is my Open Gold winning entry for Baltimore this year. I carefully studied each character's outfits from the movies to try and capture them as best I could. I also tried to use many different shades of colors to try and differentiate them, as there were a ton of neutral colors in each model.
    I am very proud of them, as they took a ton of time and took a very tough category this year!
    http://coolminiornot.com/257882
    Thanks for taking a look! More individual pics coming soon!
    ~Jeff~

That's some pretty good guys. I really love the lotr minis and you really did a good job with them. Congrats on your trophy.

Awesome! Loved them in the case and love them here. You've got to get some detail shots, especially Boromir and Gimli. Those were great.

Zach
    www.crookedeye.net

Holy crap, I've just been inspired to watch the LOTR series! I haven't watched it in 5 years!

Great stuff.

Congratulations on the win Jeff, they're a lovely looking gang. I'm looking forward to the close ups of each piece

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Yeppers, close ups would be good. Already though there's an impression of the actors from the mini's. That attention to detail really paid off. Sam is clearly Sam, Pippin obviously Pippin.

Way to be Jeff! We all have to get together to do some painting again. It's been awhile since all of Team Shorewood assembled. Last I saw, you were working on aragorn's trousers! Congrats on the win in Baltimore. I wish I could have made it out.

Thanks all

@CrookedEye - I'm trying to get some individual shots but my camera is being fussy and I am unable to get the sharpness I want in my photos... so once I work that out I'll have some pics. Looking forward to seeing yours as well once you get them up, for your Gencon as well as GD stuff!

@Drescher - Hell yeah we do! GD is in Chicago next year so we need to start working now... of course have my long list, which only 2 maybe 3 projects will get complete... in the usual fashion HA!! I'll get in touch with ya soon~~

inspiring indeed!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Info updated. We will be getting to the choppa very soon. You should hang out with me and HoboClown on Sunday to give him a bit of a sending off before he heads out to Colorado.

The eyes on all of them are very striking. How many bristles were left on the brush you did the pinpoint with? A well deserved win for sure!

For all the quality painting on display, the bottom of the bases are ropey as hell. You want shooting! They should be smooth and lump-free. A real shame as they detract from some quality work.

the eyes on the hobbits are what got me. just beautifully rendereed.

btw elly, ive got an idea for a group project if your interested send me an email. it would be an ambitious undertaking though.
    Brushlicking is the miniature painting equivalent of a rock'n'roll life-style!

Here is my ranking:

I just scoped the pictures of these on the GW website for Games Day coverage and they in no way do these minis any justice. Thanks for posting decent ones here Jeff!

Yeah for the GW pics it looks like the contrast was upped a bit too high in photoshop to me. ><

@infidel - What do you mean, the black part of the base? I always want to improve so explain a little more what you mean. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Elly3438 View Post
    Yeah for the GW pics it looks like the contrast was upped a bit too high in photoshop to me. ><

@infidel - What do you mean, the black part of the base? I always want to improve so explain a little more what you mean. Thanks!
    Yep, I think he's talking about the rim of the base. I see what he means, but it didn't bother me as much. The faces are great! Especially on Aragorn.

Empchild

Those were truely gorgous to see at baltimore. I knew I had recognized them too but couldn't place it until I got home and was going over coolmini.

Quote Originally Posted by Elly3438 View Post

Aye, the black part, the base itself. You want to keep that smooth! Be fair, when i say it detracts from the overall quality that's probably a bit sensationalist - the work is excellent, full-stop. However, try and get those bases a bit tidier in future. It's well worth watering your paint for it and building up a couple of layers just like in painting a mini. Makes things look much nicer.

Hark at me telling an excellent painter how to paint a base .