"Free at last..." - JMD Demon

Thread: "Free at last..." - JMD Demon

Default "Free at last..." - JMD Demon

Hy there,

finally I completed the JMD-demon! I started this project some months ago but after the first few working hours it went to the "unholy WIP-shelf". The damned shelf of eternal waiting and gathering dust. The hell for all miniatures! No mini who took a step on the unholy WIP-shelf was ever seen again! THE HORROR! THE HORROOOOOOR!!!!
    But wait, not this time! Somehow this little fella managed to get back from the "dust-hell". I think I will call him "Dante".

So after some final working hours "Dante" was finished. The base took nearly the same time as the miniature because the resin Rock that comes with the demon was somehow unnatural. The surface was much to smooth for a rock so I had to "cover" it with some additional rocks, gravel, sand and brushwood and I had to try some different colors for the stone to look somewhat natural. Hope I succeeded.

By the way, obviously I am no english native speaker, is the text in the collage tolerably correct? I was not sure of the first sentence... Would it be "RAN for their lifes" or "RUN for their lifes"... ARGGG!

Anyway, I hope you like the demon. Comments and critique are welcome!

Vote HERE

yeah i think i remember you put up a sort of short wip thread about this fella like a year ago lol
    really beautiful work, glad to see it finished! im off voting now

you got it right crackpot. the words are fine and the mini is fantastic.
    Brushlicking is the miniature painting equivalent of a rock'n'roll life-style!

Here is my ranking:

That guy's great! Is he your sculpt, or just your paintjob? If the sculpt isn't yours, where is he from?
    Blasting forth in three part harmony!

Its a JMD mini, you can get it from cmon shop, its out of stock now though I think, or the JMD website.

Great mini btw! My favorite sculpt by far I think, they need to get it back in stock on cmon!

Blog Entries

This guy is one of my favourite demons and you have done a fantastic job painting him!!!

The text is okay but to be technical the first bit would sound more correct like this "Finally! The last guards were slain or had ran for their lives." or "Finally the last guards were slain or had ran for their lives." The first one sounds more "dramatic". The rest of the text sets the story perfectly.

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Mr Crackpot, you rank right up there with my favorite painters on this site! Well done sir!

good work, glad you finally finished him!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Like everyone said, very good guy. The story is nice too, thanks for sharing all that.

Great colours and story. Very well done. I like all the little details on the base.

I really like the orange colors and the detailing on the horns. Fantastic job!

Thanks for all the response! I wasn't to shure about the skintone at first... :/

@ SkelettetS
    Hey don't exaggerate! It was only a few months!

@dogfacedboy uk1
    Thanks for the correction. Next time I will PM you first.

Blog Entries

No problem Crackpot, adding little stories like you have done there always add a nice touch to a finished piece of work. I will be trying to do it with all my sculpts to add some character as well as creating a fantasy world around them. By the way, are you going to share that colour recipe, I have a resin Thrudd the barbarian from Heresy that I think that will look lovely on!!

dfb

My Gallery Here

I am not shure if I can reproduce the colors I have used because it was kind of chaotic.
    If I rememer correctly I began with the brightest colors on top of the mini (shoulders and upper back). I think it was a mix of Duncan-beige and GW-Elf-flesh. The rest was painted with a mix of Duncan-beige und Duncan-rust-red. After that I softend out the transitions. Then I darkend the shadows with a mix of Duncan-rust-red und Duncan-chocolate-brown and finally with Duncan-chocolate-brown and Duncan-black.
    Then the "fun" part started and I layed over several layers of red and violet glazes. The bright colors got more red-glazes and the darker areas more violet-glazes.
    Since the Duncan colors tend to be ULTRA matt, I added some glazes/washes of Vallehjo inks ( I think it was "smokey ink", "black green ink" and "violet ink"). The great think with these inks is, they give a nice restrained gloss and they soften out some rough transitions.
    So I think this sums it up... (if I remembered everything correctly... oh gosh, my memory is getting worse and worse )

Blog Entries

Thanks Crackpot! I will try and match it roughly with my vallejo colours and GW ones if I can. Once I finish up my Nurgle chaos warriors I will dig out thrudd and start throwing some paint about.

dfb

My Gallery Here

I love the color scheme you have...
    What a beautiful model from JMD....