What to buy to fulfill this commission?

Thread: What to buy to fulfill this commission?

Default What to buy to fulfill this commission?

I'm preparing to do a commission of some Imperial Guard troops and my client has some a very specific loadout of equipment that he wants. I've gone over it a few different ways and I'm not sure what kits would be best to buy so he can get what he wants without being overcharged.

Here's his loadout:
    - 3 Sargeant with power weapon
    - 3 trooper with flamer
    - 2 team of 2 guys with autocanon
    - 2 trooper with plasma gun
    - 3 troopers with melta
    - 13 guys (or more if you could'nt make less) with laser gun

What would I need to buy to get at least what's on that list?

I think I'd go for one Cadian battle force and two boxes of Cadian command squad. That would be £85 and give you what you need plus a lot extra. buying what you need box-wise would make it three command boxes, two boxes of troops and one box heavy weapon squad(you could buy two heavy weapons teams but they'd add up to the same price as the squad anyway so there's no real point.), that would add it up to £80 and not give you as much extra stuff to keep afterwards. That's the best solution I can find without starting to convert or have people send you bits.
    Last edited by Chrome; 09-22-2010 at 03:20 PM.

I think you'd only need the battleforce box to be honest...

You get 25 troops (by your breakdown you only need 24), including all the right guns and enough sergeant bits, plus 3 Heavy weapons teams and a spare Sentinel. At RRP that's only £55, shop around online and you can probably get it £10 cheaper...

With the battleforce only you'll be one flamer, two power weapons, two meltas and one plasma gun short.

Sorry, missed the flamer in the command sprue, you won't be a flamer short.
    Last edited by Chrome; 09-22-2010 at 04:39 PM.

Add a box of Ultra Tac Marines for the extra weapons? Or ebay?
    "Yes, yes, yes. Woman are in awe of his manhood and men swoon in his wake. Truly he is a legend in his own mind."

I pitched Chrome's Battleforce with 2 command squads idea to my client since he's been talking baout having me do his entire IG army in a few different stages. Having the extra parts could come in very handy.

Thanks for the help!

Blimey Cregan, it never occured to me that as well as sticking them together & painting them you'd have to work this kind of thing out! An interesting little insight into the world of comm. work.

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Quote Originally Posted by BPI View Post
    Blimey Cregan, it never occured to me that as well as sticking them together & painting them you'd have to work this kind of thing out! An interesting little insight into the world of comm. work.
    Heh, me neither. He seems to be very new to the game, or at least to IG. He knew what kind of units he wanted, but not what to buy to get what he wants. Also, he's in France so we've agreed for me to purchase the boxes (after he pays upfront for them, naturally) so that he doesn't have to pay international shipping to get them to me. I'm more than happy to do it for him since he's mentioned a few times about having me paint his entire army over the course of a few runs.

Quote Originally Posted by BPI View Post
    Cheers, B.
    That does happen quite a bit with commissions.
    Customer wants something special or to a specific points cost, can be a headache sometimes.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Well, it turns out he has a lot of extra bits so we're going with just the battleforce box and he'll be sending me the extra special weapons bits that I'd need.