Mini-Great Demon of Nurgle - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mini-Great Demon of Nurgle

Blog Entries

awesome work man, really well done!
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

Completly revolting, horrible looking model. PERFECT!!! Really love it. And prefer it to forge world.................

this thing is cool, it looks just like the FW with all the details spot on. Good job!

Hi folks!
    After a long time without postings, I would like to finish this thread with two pictures: the primed sculpture, and the final painted version delivered to the client.

It has been a pleasant experience this whole forum thing, so in the near future I will start another WIP thread with some other things I'm working on. Thank you very much for watching and commenting!

nice work. the face is especially well done
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Nice Work.
    Now available for commissions.
    My Blog
    My Gallery

Blog Entries

Just noticed he has a bottle opener on his sword, handy! Cracking work
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

great work agill! I am glad to see it got finished.
    “We do not want to be part of the fashionable crowd. We prefer to be on the edge.”
    Takasi Uno

Thank you! I'm glad it's finished and you like it.

After all, I decided to post it in my personal gallery. Here is the voting link.

Last edited by atgill; 05-06-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Great job! Very nice looking miniature.
    “People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf”.
    George Orwell

from the back view, you think it's the big version. really cool job. makes me want to have a little verminlord

Hi folks,

today I received an e-mail from GW Legal Department. It appears that my work has been "reported", so I have to remove from this site any images depicting the Greater Daemons conversions and sculptures.

Can you please post that eMail on here, so People can read in public how exactly the GW Legal Department tries to bully you to stop your sculpting training...?... Thank you very, very much in advance...

p.s.: The thought alone really makes me really angry about GW´s attitude towards Hobbyists...
    "I think we will see a lot of such diorams in the future because Pandora box is oped, interest is huge and forum butthurt is just great." --- Decoy

Simply Wonderful......

---
    Visit us at http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/ ...

Of course...

"Tom Nanson said:
    Our Ref: Legal/TN/GLS/11819 Hi Alejandro I’m getting in touch to resolve a copyright issue that has been reported to me in relation to your web pages. It should be simple to remove with little disruption to your pages. You have taken a commission to sculpt Greater Daemon miniatures copied from Games Workshop’s models and artwork. These materials are protected by copyright and Games Workshop considers any significant copying of its material to be an infringement of its rights. The models you produced can be seen on your www.coolminiornot.com pages as well as on your www.coroflot.com profile. I must ask you to remove the images of the miniatures you produced and to message me at tom.nanson@gwplc.com to confirm that you will not infringe Games Workshop’s rights in future. For a guide to what you can and cannot do with Games Workshop’s intellectual property please read and comply with our IP Policy at www.legal.games-workshop.com. We reserve all rights. I look forward to your response. Best regards Tom Tom Nanson IP Assistant Group Legal Department Games Workshop Group PLC tom.nanson@gwplc.com"

I only hope this text isn't also part of their IP.

GW IP policy makes for an interesting read. apparently they object to any type of third-party conversion or original work using their IP - it has to be done by the owner, or sold after the fact, but cannot be commissioned or contracted. they even go so far as to point out that any conversion work constitutes a "major violation" of their IP. it is also apparently a violation of IP to do anything that devalues any GW product (lol!). pretty bizzare that they (a rather large company) would go after a single individual for a single one off sculpt (with relatively low value) - talk about a paranoid and neurotic bunch of people. sooooooo very glad i sold off the bulk of my GW stuff; far better IP exists in miniatures these days (and the majority of their "IP" is just ripped-off ideas from mythologies or fiction. e.g:Alien - 1979, genestealers - 1980).
    Last edited by funnymouth; 09-04-2012 at 01:58 AM.

It's hard to figure out if you should be insulted or flattered.
    I'd say flattered because it means that GW is threatened enough by you that they need your production to cease.

Now you could tiptoe around IP by deviating from their original work, but that isn't what your clients have ordered.

My concern is that you've been contracted to sculpt these pieces for a private client who is using them for his own use, to your knowledge. So would that not slip through their IP rights?
    Or could it be, that the client, has been recasting your sculpts and making a pretty penny off of them himself.

Either way, it's a little strange that this little blog was brought to the attention of the IP lawyers. Sounds like somebody with a grudge!
    Currently accepting small commissions
    Now on GTalk: Exiledminiatures@gmail.com
    I tweet daily! https://twitter.com/ExiledMiniature

Well, okay... If the Daemon was part of a paid Commission I can understand GW´s complaint better (thought you re-sculpted it for your own pleasure and showcase...)... Have red a couple similar eMails for commercially sold Miniatures and think that it´s fair to send them out to protect their Designs...

Edit: Thanks a lot for posting the eMail......
    "I think we will see a lot of such diorams in the future because Pandora box is oped, interest is huge and forum butthurt is just great." --- Decoy

Simply Wonderful......

---
    Visit us at http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/ ...

Blog Entries

Dont let them put you off doing what you want to do mate, I think they are being very petty in this case. A private commission is exactly that - private, nothing to do with GW. So long as your sculpt is for private non commercial use it creates no problems. There being anal about stuff like this serves to alienate an enthusiastic customer base even further away than it already is. I liked your demon, it was cool. I would ignore their letter and keep the pictures posted to be honest if I were in your shoes - an e-mail is not any kind of official legal way to lodge an official complaint. It is lazy lawyer work.

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Well...these last days I've been thinking about this issue. And my conclusion is quite simple:

I agreed to remove the images because, as dfb pointed out, it was a private commission, and maybe my mistake was to make it public. And I agree with you about the alienation of the hobbyist, at least reading their policy was quite alienating. But this is secondary.

The main reason is all about my positioning as an artist. And this is a thought that was buzzing in my mind long ago.

I realized something like, "what you show is what you are", artistically speaking of course.

So, if I keep posting GW imagery - based sculpting, guess what commissioners will keep asking for?

It is some kind of "easy way" to make a living of what I love to do, because people seem to like GW universe so much. I obviously like it too, is what initially brought my interest to this wonderful way of art.

But "what I love to do", isn't just the technical part of sculpting, like a human printer. Is also, and mostly, about getting an output to my own ideas, thoughts, and feelings.

Without these last, I feel I will not be able to call myself an artist.

And since, like any artist, I do want to make a living of what I love to do, I have decided to gradually step out of GW universe and into my own.

I've been wanting to do this for some time, and this lucky incident turned out to be the final push I needed.

So, I am now happily working in some personal projects, and some non-GW related commissions.

Making my way to be an artist.

Last edited by atgill; 09-11-2012 at 01:27 PM.