question about home-brew SM chapter

Thread: question about home-brew SM chapter

Default question about home-brew SM chapter

Ok,

so i've really just started playing 40k, and it's quite a fun game. i've been experimenting around with army lists. But i find that the Dark angels kinda suck (wish there was a 5th codex!!!!) So i've opted to make my own "successor" chapter. The thing is though, i want to use the SM codex. i'm sure this is all fine and dandy. But my question was about, what if i wanted a model with the same rules as belial from the DA codex? is that exceptable?

Thanks, Gary.

To be honest I don't think that would be a problem. As long as you use the same points cost and the rules for the character as is then its fair game. With the many chapters that are out there, at least some of the characters are going to be similar in the way they fight and such like. Create your own fluff and story for them but as long as you keep the points and the rules the same then that should be fine.
    What you leave behind is not what is written on your tombstone but what is written in the heart of others.

I'm also literally only taking the belial model. Thats all i want. Everything else is from the Space marine codex. You can create better "ravenwing" using the scout bikes. like.. ugh... it doesn't even make sense! :P

Regardless. Does anyone else have any opinions? I respect your's Nelsonmac. I just also want to know what others think as well. The more opinions i get the better.

Would this also be tournament legal?

Quote Originally Posted by obsidianpainting View Post
    I'm also literally only taking the belial model. Thats all i want. Everything else is from the Space marine codex. You can create better "ravenwing" using the scout bikes. like.. ugh... it doesn't even make sense! :P

Regardless. Does anyone else have any opinions? I respect your's Nelsonmac. I just also want to know what others think as well. The more opinions i get the better.

Would this also be tournament legal?
    I'm afraid that this wouldn't be tournament legal. I'm sure regalar games are fine though.

I wouldn't fret about the 5th edition codex, GW has said that every codex is getting redone in due time. Honestly they don't have very many that hasn't been redone. (DA, Daemon hunters, sisters, templars necrons are the only ones left)

Personally in a match of friends, I'd allow a special character of the DA-Codex, even if the rest of the army is taken from the basic SM-Codex. I won't allow special tank-versions though or entirely chapter-specific stuff like Space-Wolf-riders or the Blood-Angels Storm-Raven. These units exist in the context of a given Codex and could lead to several unbalance if used within another context/list. A single special character might be fun to encounter though.
    All of this of course is most likely not tournament-legal, but I don't understand all that I-wanna-play-40k-in-tournaments-hype anyway. Its a game ment to toss around little toy soldiers with friends and the rules and codices are not nearly anywhere to be balanced enough for tournament-play.

At my LGS "tournament" legal just means that it can be found in a codex. If it's a special character from a Chapter/Army Other than the one you're fielding, you just have to name him something different, and provide the fluff for how he got to be the uber-guy he is!
    Also, he's required to be painted.
    This is also so that two identical armies can field the same special characters.
    But then again, it's hard enough getting people to play 40k anymore around me, so hitting people with rules that leach the fun out of a "GAME" is just bad for business.

You cant use a character from dark angel codex in the newer space marine codex at tournaments as it is 2 diff codexs, you could convert a chapter master/captain with terminator army but he wont allow you to take terminators as troops. I have started dark angels and i actualy use my models to represent 3 codex's space marine/chaos space marine and dark angels.

In fun games you can say to friends this is belial, pay points and use the vanila marine dex. Personaly i use ravenwing with an Armour 14 land speeder!!!

Old thread, but what I recommend is you take the character Kor'ssaro Khan, who allows bikes to be taken as troops. You model Kor'sarro as Belial (sorry about the jetbike rules) and then take landspeeders in your Fast Attack slots. Voila. "Counts as" Ravenwing.

Most people I know would have an issue with you mixing and matching units from various codices.

Good luck!
    Blasting forth in three part harmony!