Artemia Pattern Hellhound

Thread: Artemia Pattern Hellhound

Default Artemia Pattern Hellhound

So I disappeared from the forums awhile back and just haven't had the time to harass folks here. But I'm making a concerted effort to get involved in the online community again and so I thought I'd start by posting one of my current projects.

I've always wanted to paint one of the Artmia Pattern Hellhound models from Forge World. When I added a Hellhound to my army list this month I finally had the excuse I was looking for. Of course my list calls for a pintle stubber... and I forgot that this model can't take one. Oops.

Anyway, on with the show:

The model was washed and then primed with Krylon white primer. After that dried I painted the model black using Games Workshop "Chaos Black" and an airbrush.

The fuel tank was airbrushed GW "Dark Flesh" and then splatter sprayed with "Desert Yellow." This will form the basis for the rust later.

The tracks were taped to avoid painting them grey. In this pic you can also see a set of "Runic Mountain" bases that got rejected -- I won't ship a base with that many bubbles on the bottom

The model was base coated GW "Codex Grey" and then painted "Fortress Grey" from the top and 45* on each side. Lastly a spot of "Elf Flesh" was added to the "Fortress Grey" paint to create panel highlighting on the top.

The fuel bay was based GW "Desert Yellow" and then a mix of "Commando Khaki" and "Bleached Bone." I did this to help the fuel bay, which is largely hidden by the fuel tank, stand out a bit and add some additional visual interest.

Using hairspray and salt to mask the rust colours I painted the fuel tank in the same greys as the body of the vehicle. I weathered the top of the fuel tank, where it would be banged during refilling, very heavily. The right photo shows the section closest to the body of the vehicle where it would corrode but receive very little additional damage.

The base coated model with fuel tank in place.

The fuel bay was weathered with sponge applied chipping, oils and pigments. As a final step I mixed up some "oil" and ran it into the bay from the top corners to simulate runoff from refilling the fuel tank. It is, of course, almost entirely hidden once the fuel tank is in place... but it was fun to do anyway.

Unfortunately I forgot to order my Krieg transfer sheet so this is where I'm going to have to stop the model for awhile. Before I move on to anything else I need to get the decals in place. Oops.

My total painting time at this stage is a little more than 2 hours, possibly creeping up on 3.

Feedback is ALWAYS welcome and questions will be answered.

Great start! I have one of these in the 'to do' pile as well so will watch this closely!

How did you do the 'oil' sitting in the bay? Water effects + colouring?

Thanks for the comment -- the oil is a combination of "Realistic Water" and inks. I keep pre-mixed bottles in a couple of shades.

I'll update again when my decal sheet gets here. I placed the order yesterday.

Cool oil spill. The corrosion looks good too. Hope to see more soon.

QUESTION: Does anyone have a suggestion on the colour for the pipe running from the fuel tank to the turret? Thanks

@Noddwyr: Thanks

I'd say copper with some heavy corrosion where it touches the tank and some oil leakages here and there in the joints

Someone suggested that since this was an exposed fuel line it was more likely to be a hose than a pipe, since a pipe would bend and make the weapon useless. This makes a lot of sense to me and I'm thinking I might paint it black -- although I like the idea of the copper as well since it would add a nice coloured metallic...

Hmm....

The rest of the actual pipework I'd say copper, but if it looks like a flexible tube, and it runs from the tank to the turret, I'd definitely make it look like rubber (so black!)

Yeah I think A flexible Rubber tube makes more sense.

A flexible tube definitely makes more sense! Though this is in a world where they keep extremely flammable pressure tanks where they are very easy to hit with self propelled miniature fragmentation rockets. Design trumps logic when it comes to minis, or sci-fi/fantasy in general. Mechas aren't very logical but they ARE a cool idea.

Logics Edit: a flexible tube wouldn't really act the way the pipe outside that tank does, it would bend and fall victim to gravity, it wouldn't be so straight without more fastenings. I'd reckon the area between the fastenings would be equivalent to roughly two meters and anything softer than a metal pipe would sack due to it's own weight at that length.
    Last edited by Chrome; 10-16-2010 at 07:59 PM.

Chrome, you raise a good point about the space between braces. I was thinking about that the other night and it struck me that the corners would behave differently as well. Bugger all but it will wind up a pipe, I suppose.

I checked out the FW site and their painted example, and every other I could find, just had it painted the same colours as the tank. Now I'm debating again....

Blog Entries

I dunno, If it's a fixed turret a metal pipe wouldn't make a difference. If it does rotate, it'd need to be rubber (or whatever the uber awesome high tech equivalent to rubber is in the year 40000) Even then the tubing looks in extreme danger of being ripped out by a rotation. A box housing said tubage would make sense, a bit like the pumps at a petrol station.
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

though look at where the pipe connects. It connects to a fixated platform below the turret which in my mind lets the softer more fragile tubing run inside where it won't ruin the tanks main function just through getting hit by stray shrapnel or a too extreme pivot by the turret.

what about flexible metal hose like in the shower. only a thought durable (frag proof) more flexible than a copper pipe and not prone to perish like rubber. spools of garden ties would do the trick
    Last edited by cassar; 10-18-2010 at 05:12 AM.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Quote Originally Posted by cassar View Post
    what about flexible metal hose like in the shower. only a thought durable (frag proof) more flexible than a copper pipe and not prone to perish like rubber. spools of garden ties would do the trick
    like you see on terminator armor.... but a bit bigger?

I think that, for the moment, I'm going to leave it as is. I'll add a bit of metal showing through on the pipe and see how I feel about it once the model is more finished. At this point there are so many things going on with this model and the start of my Krieg Regiment that I think the pipe can wait a bit

Thanks for all of the comments - and it's good to see I'm not the only one thinking about what that bit should be!

its a shame the designers of the model didnt give it a bit more thought too
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Agreed. It's the only thing on the sculpt I'm not happy with. If it's a hose it would bend more. If it's a pipe it would have different bends all together. Ah well.

Segmentum Solar Terra Northern Hemisphere

is the assymetrical turret made by you or it done is forgeworld?
    you found a spelling error up there? you may keep it for your collection!

The model is all Forge World. I added the rungs to the side of the model but that's the only detailing work I've done.