RGM Review: Miniature Painting Secrets with Natalya - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RGM Review: Miniature Painting Secrets with Natalya

Quote Originally Posted by Hinton View Post
    Thanks!

I do those from time to time, but it's usually just movies/entertainment. Not sure how it would be with just him for a hobby/mini review. Something to think about, though.
    Cool, and for the record, I still think the ARG is a bit more handsome. Maybe it's the sports jacket.

Blog Entries

It's the sports jacket.
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

Yeah, it's probably that.

To those who might wonder: I confirm that the russian variant contains the same amount (lack?) of commentaries from Natalya. Yes, she's not very good with english, she admitted it several times (to me personally too) - and I guess it's one of the reasons that the first tutorial from her appeared only now despite all her history and involvement in the hobby and industry.
    As for the video contents of the DVDs - it's more like the chance to watch and observe and learn from what you see rather than an active tutorial. Wich is much more than just viewing her wonderfull minies photo as a final result and wonder, how she managed to achieve that... And the 13 hours of video content is not because there's a great load of precious information in there, but more because of that she is very thorough and patient and it _really takes that much time_ That is my personal oppinion and i'm quite ok with the product as it is.

And thanks for the neat and informative review, Hinton! Even though it had no decisive influence on me - I would have bought the DVDs anyway

Thanks for the review, I enjoyed it and found it informative. It confirms some of the concerns I had from watching the sample clips. I prefer a more tutorial style with short focused segments on individual techniques. Sometimes I have a short attention span. But based on comments from other painters in classes and so on over the years, I can imagine that there are many people who would really enjoy seeing the mini painted from start to finish. I know I've sometimes seen text/pictures tutorials or even in classes where it's a bit like the old drawing classes where they start with three circles and end up with an awesome photorealistic tiger or something and seem to skip a few steps inbetween! ;-> If Natalya finds it difficult to talk while she's painting (which would be natural enough), maybe it would work to go back over the video afterwards and do a commentary.

I think including the prep is a great idea. I think a lot of people starting to get better at painting might not have any idea of the kind of preparation that can go into a quality piece, and it's in my experience it's rarer to see someone showing exactly how to file or whatever prep technique than how to paint in a video or even a class. (I would say ditto to that on seeing people actually use basing tools and materials.) There's always another tip or way to improve! I'm more interesting in watching those segments than the start to finish of the painting.

Terrific review. Thanks so much for posting this. It supports the impression I got from the sample vid. and peer reviews.

Thanks again!

Pez5767
    WARNING: Painting all of your miniatures may lead to death.

"There comes a day in every man's life when he has to get off the couch... and kill some zombies."

Quote Originally Posted by pez5767 View Post
    Terrific review. Thanks so much for posting this. It supports the impression I got from the sample vid. and peer reviews.

Thanks again!

Pez5767
    Indeedy. I recall upon watching the promo vids thinking "um, where's the tutorial part?". Figured a particularly empty bit of demonstration work had been selected so as not to give away too much. Apparently not though eh. It does occur to the RGM could have opined one is literally watching paint dry.

Has to be tricky, the vid tutorial lark. Language barriers have to compound it, but not everyone has the ability to pass on their knowledge. Teachers, however qualified in their field, have to learn how to actually teach.
    Though a good start could be a modification of the old tell, show, do, check understanding. Tell what's the technique is, show how it is done, get the learnee to do it, then check they've understood it by getting them to do it again with different colours to check it wasn't being done by rote, parroting it, rather than actually learning process. That's ideal for a sitting down with a tutor, can't work with a vid without an attending tutor sitting in for feedback.
    Could still do the tell part, highlighting what's about to occur, and during a show part continue with the explanation. Applying the same technique with different colours could cover the check understanding part somewhat - with less explanation that second time a viewer could appreciate whether or not they've fully understood the technique.

I haven't watched the review yet (on hold with tech support at the moment) but I have read the thread. When at Gen Con I did stop by the CMoN booth and saw some of the video playing. All I saw in the 10 minutes of standing there was a sped up chunk of video showing her paint. No talking going on to give instruction on what she is doing, just watching her paint.

That's all well and good but for $50 I'd expect way more than that. I've watched a few of the tutorial videos--I was involved with Jeremie's video and I've watched Hot Lead all the way through. While neither are the most enthralling or exciting videos they are very instructional on every aspect of miniature painting from prepping to painting to basing.

I wasn't impressed with Natalya's video from what I saw of it. I kinda got the impression that she's trying to jump on the video bandwagon and make a few bucks out of it.

I bought the video and watched all parts. It might not be for everyone, but this video was exactly what I was looking for. Who cares that she rarely talks? What is she going to say all the time "Now I put on layer 33. Here comes 34...." You get to see a slayer sword winner paint a few miniatures, from bare metal and unassembled to fully based. If you can't watch this and take away a mountain of knowledge I don't know what to say...

I'm happy with my purchase!

Erm...Maybe.:/ lol

Quote Originally Posted by Torn blue sky View Post
    That depends. Did you buy it for that reason? =P

I think everyone was expecting more from it Harry considering the number of videos on the market and how the painter explains what they are doing and WHY they are doing it. For a lot of people to learn they need to not only see the technique being executed but also an explanation of why they are doing it in that way. Everyone paints differently and learns differently. I enjoy understanding why the artist makes the choices he/she does when painting and if that affects the end result. I know my painting has changed quite a bit since I started and that's because I have learned from others, tried their techniques and then put my own spin on it.

It's not to say you can't learn something from this video or that it's shit or anything. It's that it was a little bit of a disappoint since it was showcasing such a great painter and didn't have much to offer people who may JUST be starting out or not have a strong art background. When making a product like this it needs to be accessible by all audiences. That means anyone at any skill level in miniature painting should be able to sit down and watch the movie, understand what's happening and how they can execute the techniques they just watched.

Jeremie and Laszlo both do a great job of explaining the different techniques, when to use them, why to use them, the different basing materials out there and what they like to use and how they use it . . . it's informative. Plus it's also a bit more engaging to listen to someone explain what you are watching versus just sitting and watching someone paint.

Just my $0.02

Blog Entries

$0.02 will not buy me! Raise it by at least $0.2 and we can talk.
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

I know hon, I had to spend a whole nickel to buy you!

Blog Entries

Worth every penny. If not more.

And I do say more. Cheated , I was. Robbed!

thanks for the review. Helpful i must say along with the comments people have left. Verbal instruction along with painting is always great. Im with wren, attention span will not remain if its only painting being done. I want the verbal instruction as well. Even if you know a technique, it may be "your style" in achieving it and It may be completely different than how someone else does it and you have no idea how it was done.

ok @tbs i put in $0.18 do i co-own you know?? :P

Blog Entries

You'll have to work custody out among yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Torn blue sky View Post
    Worth every penny. If not more.

And I do say more. Cheated , I was. Robbed!
    No you weren't! You got a wonderful woman out of this transaction

@Hinton--finally watched the review, I do enjoy these clips you are making quite a bit. I love your paint set up too. I totally need that!

Quote Originally Posted by leopardpixie View Post
    thanks for the review. Helpful i must say along with the comments people have left. Verbal instruction along with painting is always great. Im with wren, attention span will not remain if its only painting being done. I want the verbal instruction as well. Even if you know a technique, it may be "your style" in achieving it and It may be completely different than how someone else does it and you have no idea how it was done.

ok @tbs i put in $0.18 do i co-own you know?? :P

Sorry Tiff, he's all mine! I don't share I guess this means I need to spend a whole $0.25 just to make sure huh?

Quote Originally Posted by leopardpixie View Post
    thanks for the review. Helpful i must say along with the comments people have left.
    You're welcome. And thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fieldarchy View Post
    @Hinton--finally watched the review, I do enjoy these clips you are making quite a bit. I love your paint set up too. I totally need that!
    Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fieldarchy View Post
    Sorry Tiff, he's all mine! I don't share I guess this means I need to spend a whole $0.25 just to make sure huh?
    Start bidding!