So I spent a fortune on the Rackham Website... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So I spent a fortune on the Rackham Website...

Dirz were once scientists form the griffon empire. Acheron and Griffons were once part of the allahan kingdom (the lions...), and lions were a keltoi tribe at their beginning.

AAvH-Darkblade

Originally posted by t_haye2
    There\'s a few bits and bobs in the last few issues of harbinger magazine, they helped me to get an idea...although i\'m not really planning to play it(nobody i know would want to for one, I live in GW central...), I just like the figs tp paint

@ wolfsbane; nope, The Nehterlands is definitely NOT Scandinavia! i get that soooo often here.....people seem to think i\'m from Denmark or something, jeez ;)
    Tammy,

Cool, Dutch people gotta love\'em. I\'m a Flying \"van\" Dutchman myself and heading to Amsterdam in May for a visit. :D :D

Alex,

Some good on-line sources of Confrontation Information and backgroud:

Confrontation English Yahoo Group
    Yahoo group
    - Discussion of rules, etc. (It\'s been around a long time)
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/confrontation_en/

Confrontation Voidgamers
    Site for English translations, cards & miniature images, stats and Army Builder Updates
    http://confrontation.voidgamers.com/

Rackham English Forums
    Rackham\'s Official English Forums. - Lots of background stuff translated my memebers like XenonWolf
    http://en-forum.confrontation.fr/

Rackscan
    Confrontation News, etc.
    http://rackscan.net/

SDEN - Confrontation FRENCH
    Confrontation News, etc.
    http://www.sden.org/wg/wg/confrontation/

The best English written sources I\'ve found so far are the recent background articles in Harbinger Magazine and the stuff in the 2004 Rackham catalogue, which is just a very pretty book. The Hybrid game book has some Griffin and Alchemist background as well.

I pretty much a Confrontation fanatic now, having almost the complete Griffin, Kelt (both) and Undead lines, plus tons of everything else. I\'ve organized a few tournaments and a league, and can tell you it is a really fun game to play. There is a bit of a learning curve as you get comfortable with the H-to-H mechanics (this is not your fathers Warhammer lol lol ), but once your there it\'s tons of fun, fast to play and very flexable.

Griffins are a great starter Army, hard as nails, not prone to fear, the best shooters in the game. I started with them myself. Then moved on to Kelts, more my style of play, run screaming across the table at the enemy, like 40K Space Wolves. lol

Well, hope that helps.

Cheers, Darkblade :cool:

Witch hunts and Inquisitions have historically been temporary mechanisms used to expand the power of certain individuals. They occur when an extremely charismatic leader emerges, and do not extend beyond that leader\'s life time. Torquemada engendered a fervor of hatred that could never have been maintained without him.

An Inquisition\'s purpose is to cleanse that which is within it\'s power, not to expand that power. A government based on this concept could never expand it\'s borders as fast as it\'s neighbours since there would always be more work to do, more souls to save, in the territory it already held.

Religions have an easier time than governments, since they often lay claim to the entire universe from the outset. When Religion and Government are the same, an Inquisition that expands the power of the religion will decrease the government\'s power proportionately. The snake eats it\'s tail until the people rise up.

In the case of the 40K Empire, this is quite evident. The emperor\'s power is absolute. He is both king and god within his domain. Between incursions of foreign powers, secession and internal attrition his domain is shrinking. This is alluded to constantly but never explicitly stated in the game\'s background.

Since I can\'t read French, I don\'t know if this is the case with the Gryphon\'s fluff. I would hope Confrontation is handled as logically as Warhammer has been. Regardless, I\'m not willing to play a witch-hunter army for personal reasons, and it bothers me when I am attracted to figures I could never bring myself to use (even if I could find another gamer within 200 miles).

AAvH-Darkblade

Default A brief overview....

Originally posted by Astorderire
    Dirz were once scientists form the griffon empire. Acheron and Griffons were once part of the allahan kingdom (the lions...), and lions were a keltoi tribe at their beginning.
    Yeah that\'s right.

Originally there were Kelt Tribes/Clans wandering around Aarklash. The Kelt Sessairs settles down, in one area and maintained their traditional ways and worship of Danu, the earth goddess. The Drunes Clan rejected all the human morals and made packs with dark gods. They continue to wander and bring death and torture to all they meet.

Another Kelt clan settle and founded the Kingdon of Alahan, the Lions. They achieved a high level of civilzation and based their values on Honour and Valour.

Later a Group of Religious Zealots, the followers of the one god Merin, lead by Arcavius would leave the Kingdom to form their own Theocratic Empire, The Empire of The Griffins of Akkylannie. A resolute and pious people they fight against the forces of Darkness.

One such force of Darkness revealed itself in the Barony of Archeron, which was part of the Kingdon Alahan (Lions). The Undead armies of Archeron are one of the greatest threats to the forces of Light. In the first war against Archeron the Griffin and Lions joined forces to defeat the Living-Dead armies of Archeron.

Dirz the Arch Heratic, hunted by the Inquistors and Witch Hunters of the Griffins, fled into the desert with his followers to form the Empire of the Scorpion, Alchemists of Dirz, where he could perform his mad scientific mutations to achieve his own vision of genetic perfection.

The Alchemists genetically created a slave race of Orcs, who eventually rose up and through off the shackles of their creators. They founded their own land, which they protect aggressively from any who would try to enslave them or endanger their freedom.

The Goblins have their own empire and tribes are scatter throughout Aarklash.

The Dwarves of Tir-Na-Bor live in their Fortress home Mount Aegis, where they prepare to meet their Destiny in the coming War of Rag\'Narock, creating war engines power by steam and forging blades of the finest Steel.

In the their Mountain fastness the Dwarf thought they were untouchable, but dark forces were at work even there. Dwarves began to disappear, no one took too much notice until the appearance of the possessed Dwarves of Mid-Nor. Pure evil, these mad demon possessed Dwarves are a menace to all the races of Aarklash, but particularly to their former kin the Dwarves of Tir-Na-Bor.

The Wolfen are the greatest predators and hunters of Aarklash and live in the Northern Forests worshiping the Goddess of the Moon, Yllia. They follow the Path of Destiny and live in Clans or Hunting Groups. They follow the Laws of Nature.

The Devourers and their Half-Elf Allies have turned from the Path of Destiny and follow the Bloody God Vile-Tis, the Beast. They wear armour and have rejected the Laws of Nature and the Goddess Ylllia. They have left their Forest homes and abandoned the old ways to find a new land to conquer. Led by Vile-Tis, they will no longer follow false Gods or be subjugated by any Laws other then their own.

The Free City of Cadwallon is the home to Mercenary Captains and their troops, Freebooters and various Guilds. It is a city of adventurers and political intrigue. From here come the various Mercenary that will join in the coming Battles of Rag\'Narok.

------------------------------------------

Well, that\'s an outline of what I\'ve learned since I started playing and painting Confrontation. The Elvish races don\'t have much information in English yet as they are not available yet.

These would be: The Daikinee Elves (Path of Destiny), Cynwall Elves (Way of Light), The Akkyshan Elves (Path of Darkness)

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Darkblade :cool:

PS. Can you tell it\'s Friday and I a little bored. lol

AAvH-Darkblade

Originally posted by TwelveMilesOut
    Witch hunts and Inquisitions have historically been temporary mechanisms used to expand the power of certain individuals. They occur when an extremely charismatic leader emerges, and do not extend beyond that leader\'s life time. Torquemada engendered a fervor of hatred that could never have been maintained without him.

An Inquisition\'s purpose is to cleanse that which is within it\'s power, not to expand that power. A government based on this concept could never expand it\'s borders as fast as it\'s neighbours since there would always be more work to do, more souls to save, in the territory it already held.

Religions have an easier time than governments, since they often lay claim to the entire universe from the outset. When Religion and Government are the same, an Inquisition that expands the power of the religion will decrease the government\'s power proportionately. The snake eats it\'s tail until the people rise up.

In the case of the 40K Empire, this is quite evident. The emperor\'s power is absolute. He is both king and god within his domain. Between incursions of foreign powers, secession and internal attrition his domain is shrinking. This is alluded to constantly but never explicitly stated in the game\'s background.

Since I can\'t read French, I don\'t know if this is the case with the Gryphon\'s fluff. I would hope Confrontation is handled as logically as Warhammer has been. Regardless, I\'m not willing to play a witch-hunter army for personal reasons, and it bothers me when I am attracted to figures I could never bring myself to use (even if I could find another gamer within 200 miles).
    That\'s a very good explanation of the concept of Inquistions and Theocratic Government.

From what I\'ve learned in the Confrontaion Fluff. The Griffon Empire is ruled by the Emperor and the secular forces of the Templar Orders each lead by a Commander. The Religious part of the Kingdom has the Inquisition and their own particular Order of Templars, the Templars of the Inquistion. The secret organization the Templars of Hod, belong to the secular side (Emperor) and try to fly under the Inquistions radar, who tried to hunt them down as Heretics. It is Possible to play each as a seperate and complete faction within the Griffins. There does appear to be a seperation of church and state in the Griffin Empire, each watching the other carefully trying to gain more influence, but basically maintaining the balance of power.

Originally posted by AAvH-Darkblade
    That\'s a very good explanation of the concept of Inquistions and Theocratic Government.
    Thanks, we aim to please.
    The secret organization the Templars of Hod, belong to the secular side (Emperor) and try to fly under the Inquistions radar, who tried to hunt them down as Heretics.
    :o Okay, now tell me Miserichorde is 75 points and I can take Spasm Warriors as allies. Wait....no, don\'t tell me that....I spend enough on figures as it is!

EDIT: uhhhhh... looks like Mira will have to do, but I can use the Spasm Warriors.... oh, my poor wallet! :~(

Right now I understand it who wants a game!:)

I do, I do! Come over to Germany and we\'ll have a go at it :P

Where exactly is Herne, I am close to the border....:D
    Ok everybody, keep feeding any info, small details help. I have to get to know official stuff about the drunes in specific The database is growing and I have to make it into stories. :innocent:

Is this the new unofficial home of the english rackham archive?:D

as for now, yes, but not for long...:P

Orginal gepostet von Wolfsbane21
    Where exactly is Herne, I am close to the border....:D
    If you`re close to the border, about one to two hours by car maximum. It\'s directly beside Bochum, Gelsenkirchen is near, Dortmund is quite near here.... I\'m really struggling to describe it here :P

Back to Confrontation: Does anyone have some more links to more background?