Brushmaster In Training

Thread: Brushmaster In Training

Newbie, please be gentle NewLeaf's Avatar
    The deep South - okay well not so deep - NC

Talking Brushmaster In Training

Hi everyone!
    I just wanted to stop in and introduce myself. I am a 35yo woman from Butner, NC with many lovely animals, a new place to live and time to paint now. I tried painting a few years back on some friends minis, and have read a bit on this board and others and am ready now to give it a go for real.

A very kind friend getting out of the hobby gave me a Battle for Skull Pass box set mostly new. I have picked up the foundation paint set, some brushes and a few misc things like glue and a craft knife.

I have been reading about techniques for close to three months now [here, Hot Lead, Dr Faust, GW etc etc] and I guess it's time to try them out. I started trimming the Spider Riders and spiders off their sprues and am working on cleaning them up. Pesky mold lines - everytime I think I have it all - I see another bit. I'm guessing taking the extra time to do it right the first time pay off in the end. How do you get rid of mold lines from detailed area like hair or cloth wraps without damaging the details? I have been trying to cut them out rather than file but it isn't working too well.

I look forward to getting feedback as I go - you guys all seem so talented - I can't wait to get started.
    NewLeaf - Brushmaster in Training
    2010 Completed Minis = 0
    Current WIP - Spider Riders from BOSP box set

You need a really sharp craft knife and a lot of patience.
    ScottRadom - "Like when my wife calls me by my brothers name when we're gettin' busy. It's just a mood wrecker."

Those tricksy areas are all that keeps the mini cleaning stage from being a peaceful enough activity to induce a state of nirvana, full of "ohm" and full lotus.

I just give areas like that a good scrape with the knife, and then repeatedly blow on it and scrape again to get rid of the persistent fronds of plastic/resin that want to stick around.

One memorable scraping nightmare occured years ago. There was a peculiar bit of flash on an old werewolf mini. Afterwards I realised I'd just circumsised him. :s

Blog Entries

Use the craft knife to scrape away the mould lines as opposed to cutting or carving them, NewLeaf. That does the trick!
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

wow, more ladies. they must have sent a letter out or something!! welcome to the site!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

No, no recruitment letters have been sent out to women recently, at least not that I know of. However, you boys better be on your best behavior so as not to scare this one away!

Welcome NewLeaf! Hope you enjoy yourself with Skull Pass. You should also check out some other miniature manufacturers. There's a whole slew of stuff out there and all with different themes and look.

Wink Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the warm welcome and the tips - I will try that scraping trick.

I have looked around at other miniature manufacturers and am in love with so many. I have just bought a bunch of random Confrontation minis with a few Reapers thrown in. I want to practice on the plastic before moving on to some of those awesome Confrontations.

YEAH!! I am so excited!

Name:  PB023965.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  42.2 KB
    2010 Completed Minis = 0

Blog Entries

Holy crap! You hit paydirt!
    Rackham Confrontation is OOP now, I loved those so much. Jealous I am, yessss. I'm sure you'll have heaps of fun painting those though
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

Welcome to the mad house, first straight jacket is free.........

Blog Entries

No one wears a straight jacket these days in here unless it's a personal preference for extra curricular activities. Not since the lunatics took over the asylum.

Wow! I couldn't paint that many blisters in a year!

OOP? Hmmm - now I feel bad - inexperienced painter with the actual good stuff. Should I list what I have and if anyone really wants something - maybe we could trade for something else or you could buy it and I could buy other minis instead?
    2010 Completed Minis = 0

Not sure what you have as i only paint/play deathguard (games workshop). Post what you have on the trade forums and ask for offers mini wise. You could get a whole bunch of minis for one or 2 rare ones.

Blog Entries

Yup, you could multiply your mini stock over night with a few good bits. Or make a tidy little earner!
    Wouldn't feel bad about it though, they're there to be painted and enjoyed! =D

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Another way to get rid of those mold lines in the detailed areas:
    Get to sears or harbor freight, find a needle file set.
    Lots of shapes to match contours and a few passes and the mold line is gone.

Another handy tool on flat areas is a small mill file and a diamond dust fingernail file - the kind my wife gets upset about me using.....
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

If you like the minis and the idea of painting them serves to motivate, then definately keep 'em. Can always pick up cheap plastics off Ebay to experiment/practice on.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmypops View Post
    If you like the minis and the idea of painting them serves to motivate, then definately keep 'em. Can always pick up cheap plastics off Ebay to experiment/practice on.
    Or check with some of the local game players. Most would be more than happy to let you paint their mini's for free, and will often supply paint to do so.
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

I do like them - most of them anyway - there are some really cool figures in there and the details are why I bought them. I want them but I just thought if someone was looking for something specific and I may not be ready to break out painting them for a while - then I may as well play nice in my newfound sandbox. I am sure I will find hundreds of minis I like detail wise - so if someone really wants or needs one for themselves then we can work it out. I don't know if I have any rares or limited editions or whatnot - I have 2x Dwarves, 3x Wolven, 2x Goblins, 1x Orc, 1x Elemental, 1x Keratis, 11x Kelt, 1x Lion and 4x Mid-Nor [going by their Rank thing on the back of the card] so if you are looking for something - PM me and I'll see if I have it.
    2010 Completed Minis = 0

Blog Entries

Ah just enjoy them My personal faves are the Goblins. So much character!

Quote Originally Posted by NewLeaf View Post
    OOP? Hmmm - now I feel bad - inexperienced painter with the actual good stuff. Should I list what I have and if anyone really wants something - maybe we could trade for something else or you could buy it and I could buy other minis instead?
    NO! HANG ON TO THEM AND DON'T LET ANYONE TRY TO TALK YOU INTO TRADING THEM.
    Rackham are getting difficult to find and the metal figures are worth hanging on to.
    There will come a time when you feel confident in attempting one and believe me it'll be worth the wait.

As to the clearing of moulding lines/flash, there are many home made tools and tips but I can recommend and that is the Mission Models Micro Chisel.
    Comes with a 2mm chisel point and is great on either metal or plastic. Additional tips are available.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.