Breaking that darn 8.

Thread: Breaking that darn 8.

Default Breaking that darn 8.

I want to break an 8... I keep getting close but then some how people will vote and drop me down after 40 votes. I don\'t know what I am doing wrong. I probably have pissed someone off somewhere but I cannot understand why I cannot break the 8.0 marker.

These are the closest I have come:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/?id=53627
    50 votes 7.5.
    This one as of 5pm this evening was 7.7 3 votes later... 7.5

http://www.coolminiornot.com/?id=52290
    59 votes 7.5
    this one topped out at 7.8 the PLUMMETED to 7.6 the back and forth and finaly settled at 7.5

I have seen MANY minis worse then these two get 8.3s. SO what about my painting is so bad????I don\'t want to name any because I don\'t want to finger anyone. IT does happen though. so what is soo bad about my minis. I don\'t think they deserve a 9 or anything. However, seeing what I have seen I wonder how is it that my scores get dropped so hard?

It is not the score but the fact I am trying to push myself to get better. I have seen some aweful minis get 8s. So what about my work is so repulsive? I must be overlooking something here.

Hi Smoth -

I have given several of your figures an 8, and most a 7. But the rating scale here has dropped over the last 7-8 months and now what I used to think was an 8 (and I have been here for a few years) rarely cracks 7 and usually gets a score in the 6 range. It seems that the very best figures are indeed better than ever, but the second tier figures are suffering for it and getting much lower scores. I used to score in the mid-7 range when I still had figures posted here, but I doubt I would crack a 7 now. So, I don\'t think it is a problem with your work. And let me tell you from experience, complaining about scores and snipers only makes it worse (much, much worse).

so it isn\'t something I am doing wrong?

Not in my opinion, and from the comments I have seen on your figures, not in the opinion of other long time members either. I don\'t know when exactly the influx of new people with a different rating scale started, but try to be heartened by the comments and ratings you get from the people who are good painters. I know easier said than done - I can\'t do it myself; that\'s why I have nothing posted here. Watching my work get shot down all the time just didn\'t fit with my personality, and certainly wasnt teaching me anything or making me a better painter.

To be honest I think that what may be affecting the score for your lizard was that although it had a good level of painting there was no overall \"Wow\" factor. (It may also not appeal to everybody) As this figure was sculpted to be a steed for someone, the lack of a rider also detracts, and makes it look like an ornament.

As for your Spearmaiden, the main picture is a little small and there isn\'t enough good picture definition on the leg armour. While I voted an 8 on that for the level of painting, I don\'t find the sculpture to be that appealing. Which will also affect others consideration of the score. One thing that some may find distracting is the fact that there are a number of separate views on the same post.

Going back to my days as a photographer, the human mind looks at a complex array of images and can say \"Too Busy\" and fail to register the good points. It\'s a type of prevention of sensory overload. It takes a great deal of mental disipline to train the mind to allow you to look deeply at a picture. Hence why we walk slowly around Museums and art galleries.
    I\'m going to quote Lao Tse here (or at least a translation) \"To look is not always to see.\"

Having learned a great deal from a recent judging experience, I can see a great deal of \'Faults\' with my own mini\'s. Learning to see with others eyes is difficult and those mini\'s, of mine, I considered 12 months ago to be \'Slammin\' I now know that I could have done better jobs with. Time, practise and patience will help to increase scores.
    Very few people will arrive on the site an immediately get high scores. Don\'t forget that there are a few Golden Deamon winners on here which didn\'t get given a high score.

i think they both rock. and thats why i gave them both 8.

that will always leave you with a 7.X score. which in this climate at cmon is a good score.

you want to break 8 you need people voting 9\'s that means very awsome stuff. your girls is getting close but you pic quality and subject is hurting you a little.

be proud of your 7.X score it leaves you in a good bracket of painters.

I think that the figures themselves are painted to an 8 standard... However!

The lizard although brilliant lacks that \"wow!\" factor that takes a figure into the 8\'s. I think if you had done it in like purple or green or something equally ridiculous it would\'ve got an 8. The Elfy reaper lady, again painted easily to an 8 standard but is just something missing that average Joe voter is gonna wanna see. I personally think the lizard is an 8 and the elfy is at least an 8.5 but I guess a lot of people go for an overall appearance as opposed to looking at the details and workmanship.

My advice therefore is

1) Brighter colour pallette (possibly)

2) Less cluttered pics (1 good shot of the front 1 good shot of the back)

3) Maybe some grander sculpts? Something hero-like?

I dunno this is all speculation, like I said, I think they\'re 8\'s already but you can\'t expect everyone to be a discerning and finessed as me now can youlollol;)

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Spearmaiden:
    I loved the fleshtones on the spear maiden - especially the bent leg - great definition. Her hair needs more highlights and needs to look more like hair. Her eyes are better than any I have painted, but don\'t look \"alive\" yet. Very close.

The background is a cool setting for her, but I think it may be detracting from your score. As DR said, \"too busy.\"

Lizard:
    I don\'t understand the \"no base\" comment. Something specific to a certain tourney? The right base with a rider fig could spot this guy a 9. Maybe something like this

Someone commented on his eyes. Most animals have very little or no whites showing in their eyes. This lizard\'s eyes look too human - kinda dissettling.

Overall:
    8\'s are very tough to get here. It seems like a big step from a 7 to an 8 and most of it seems to be \"wow\" factor. You appear on the brink of that. Very sound painting, just not \"wow\". Part of it is that there are so many good/great painters here. I paint (generally very good) tabletop quality and that puts me in the bottom 15% or so - just for reference.

What the other guys have said seem to be about right. To break an eight you need lots of 9s. To get 9s you need to have a little some extra that \"pops\" at the viewer, making them think \"amazing\" rather than just \"nice\".

Part of getting that \"amazing\" effect would be very good technical skills (eg haley), or trying out something very new (eg victoria or arjay).

Don\'t sweat the scores, anything over 7 is a great score. I know for a fact that there are GD winning minis getting low 7\'s, although that is partly bad pics.

If you look at some of the 8 scoring minis they are not very well painted technically, but they have a massive wow factor, or they are a space marine lol

A quick look at the higher scoring minis will give you an idea of what is \"cool\".

I gave both your ones 8, but then I rate painting skill over the mini sculpt.

Default Push yourself

You could always try this:
    1) Decide on a contest you\'re going to enter
    2) Contact some friends and ask for assistance with your entry. Helps if your friends have some expertise, either as judges or as former prize winners
    3) Post Work In Progress shots to your friends as you go along, and pay attention to their critiques.
    4) Post the mini after it\'s done
    5) Enjoy whatever compitition you enter, win, loose, or draw

Make sure you give yourself plenty of time for the process, two months or more would be good. The piece I did this way is more than a full point ahead of any other piece I have in my gallery that I\'ve done.

Just not sure I\'m ready to go to that extreme again on another piece. Sigh. Maybe when I get another copy of the GC Archaon or one of the really blown-out new SoB tanks.

t_haye2

Originally posted by Chern Ann
    What the other guys have said seem to be about right. To break an eight you need lots of 9s. To get 9s you need to have a little some extra that \"pops\" at the viewer, making them think \"amazing\" rather than just \"nice\".

Part of getting that \"amazing\" effect would be very good technical skills (eg haley), or trying out something very new (eg victoria or arjay).
    hihihihi, i thought that getting 9\'s was because they all bribed you.....:P A joke, a joke!!! i\'m kidding ok? jeez...I could feel the evil stares there...giggle

Cerridwyn1st:
    Just not sure I\'m ready to go to that extreme again on another piece.
    Mel: Who are you kidding? You know fine well that the next competition you consider you\'ll be working your fingers to the bone on the mini. :D:cool:

t_haye2
    i thought that getting 9\'s was because they all bribed you.....:
    Cheers; your cheque arrived today! lollollol ;)

Default Guilty as Charged

Originally posted by Dragonsreach
    Cerridwyn1st:
    Just not sure I\'m ready to go to that extreme again on another piece.
    Mel: Who are you kidding? You know fine well that the next competition you consider you\'ll be working your fingers to the bone on the mini. :D:cool:
    Yes, and I\'ll drag you along with me. MUUWAAHahaha! :D

Cerridwyn1st:
    Yes, and I\'ll drag you along with me. MUUWAAHahaha!
    WoooHoooo you\'re paying my airfare to Atlanta? :o :bouncy::bouncy:
    Let me at that competition!

Lizard:
    I don\'t understand the \"no base\" comment. Something specific to a certain tourney? The right base with a rider fig could spot this guy a 9. Maybe something like this[/quote]

in mageknight you cannot put flock or anything on a base. So when you paint a MK mini it is always easy to pop it off the base rather then taking the chance of marking the base.

As for the rider not being present in mk 2.0 you can have different riders on different mounts Grolkar is a LE mount. The customer didn\'t send me any rider. I hope that answers your question.

Thanks for the input. I will try more for some wow on my next personal mini. I have an elf atop a giant crystal. that should give ample wow factor.

Aside from larger front and back views is there anything else that could help with my pictures? I\'ll try the blue gradient thing. I cannot at the moment as I really don\'t have to time(finals week over here). I have read alot about the neutral BGs. is it because the extra detail in the bg confuses them? Or is it my multi angles?

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Originally posted by Smoth
    ...about the neutral BGs. is it because the extra detail in the bg confuses them? Or is it my multi angles?
    It is mostly a matter of what you are trying to showcase. Highlight the positive. If you are meerly adequate like me :( , you put your minis in front of Hirst Arts castles and backdrops hoping that they will boost your score ;) . If you have talent, you put your minis on neutral backgrounds so we can really concentrate you your work.

I understand that the lizard mount is to be put back on his clicker base then? Maybe something like Peter Lee did with his dragon. Game base built into his show base.

The picture is a bit dark, but here is the base that Airhead is talking about:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/?id=52602

The grey part unscrews from the wood base for RPG use.

nope the mk clicky bases can only have the mini on them. Kinda ghey if you ask me.

After I painted him he went right back home to his clicky base. It is a pitty because some static grass would have been cool

Originally posted by Dragonsreach
    Cerridwyn1st:
    Yes, and I\'ll drag you along with me. MUUWAAHahaha!
    WoooHoooo you\'re paying my airfare to Atlanta? :o :bouncy::bouncy:
    Let me at that competition!
    Not the way I\'ve been bouncing checks this week. :(:bouncy: But I\'d be more than happy to contribute as much as I could, any way I could. I\'m a member of a travel club, so I can get discounts on aif fare and lodging.

But hey, if the issue is money for a plane ticket, we could get creative.

1) Set up to take donations via a paypal account for those who want to \"contribute the the cause\". A catholic priest paid his way to a political convention that way.

2) Have members of our \"group\" donate figs, sell them on ebay, and have the money transfered into your account

I kind of like idea #2. We\'ve got a bout ten months to get ready for this, and part of the cash could be used for accomodations and entrance fees for the lot of us.

Back on topic. Smoth, if you can get scores in the 7 range painting a Mage Knight fig with no base, why not really blow it out on a nice fig, something with really great detail. Something like the Rackham Red Lioness or the old GW Mounted Archaeon would be great.

Put it on a nicely flocked base, and you should be good to go.