Article: Polishing instead of Painting metal (ie "Real Metal")
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Polishing instead of Painting metal (ie "Real Metal")

Default Article: Polishing instead of Painting metal (ie "Real Metal")

interesting way to make metal, but I think it's sort of good and interesting

Blog Entries

Manu;

Thanks for sharing this with us, and don't worry, your English is just fine!!

Cheers,
    Grumb

This is a technique used in 54mm and 90 mm historical miniatures but this is the first time I see it applied on a 30mm miniature.
    The results are really good, thank you, I'll try it!

Wonderful! Thanks for the article!

Great article. A question though. How do you (did you) get colours other than silvery metal (such as the gold areas of the sample mini)?

instead of using matchsticks u can get hold of a fine metal scribber (used in rubbing/etching foils) from your craft shop...works well for instant shine. Great tip on the Tamiya clear color. I too am not happy with just plain oil washes

Thanks for a great article. I do have one question though. Does the polished effect dullen quickly as the metal oxidises? Guess I'll try it to find out.

well thinked and well done; the look of your minis using this technique is natural and different to the rest of the people`s

Thankyou for the information...Can't wait to try!

You might want to try using very fine sandpaper (400 grit or higher). It seems to be easier on the hands and will still give you that mirror-like shine.

what a strange thing...i like it!i want to try it!

ive done this on 1 models sword, but it has afew scratches. i used this set which has a small attachement to polish with. it works very well and am very pleased tho the scrathes are annoying. 1 thing tho, if paint goes to the edges of the normal metal. then the paint will start pealing, so you will need to secure it with a small amount of varnish

COOOOOOOL !!! This has solved all my problems with metallics

Looks like real metal because it is real metal, i'll have to try this...

Looks like real metal because it is real metal, i'll have to try this...

Hey Manu.... is it ok for plastic minis?

I love this technique! For the last polishing you can very well use a piece of suede. This works very well =)

But one question: How du get into the small edges of that griffon. I had big problems polishing such small corners

That's pretty awesome. I've seen people use that technique before, but it's never looked that good. I see polish makes all the difference.