Chrome's WIP - Page 25
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Chrome's WIP

He's been sobering up from that batch of Captain Morgan now and has finally gotten his feet on the ground again...

Name:  scout.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  170.2 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

dude, what has happen to his arms? bad anabola experience??

Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post
    dude, what has happen to his arms? bad anabola experience??
    Eat recycled drugs. They're good for you and work ok. ;D
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

Name:  newcam.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  205.3 KB

A bit more progress, It's getting closer now. I'm hoping to add the last pieces tomorrow and then spend a week staring at the mini to spot stupid mistakes...

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
    spend a week staring at the mini to spot stupid mistakes...
    ah you lucky bastard! =D

Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post
    ah you lucky bastard! =D
    Yeah, that also means spending a week realising how small a chance of winning anything I actually have! XD

Name:  scout.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  244.4 KB

one week later, one busy week I might add. Leaving for Skel's place tomorrow mid day so it's time to wrap up and start packing now.

Name:  scoutdone.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  118.1 KB

Name:  scoutdone2.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  128.5 KB

Name:  scoutdone3.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  123.1 KB

Name:  scoutdone4.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  121.4 KB

nice job, dont take this wrong but i like the base the most
    well, see ya later then!

the base really does pop, however i really really like the scouts paint scheme it sort of fits if you get me, reminds me of the old pro painted classic look. the only thing that strikes me and that i would have a go at is doing a dark wash on the muscles of the arms/forearms just to make em more definition and stand out a bit more. (thats just my personal taste) nice to see you finish one for a change lol
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

I agree that the base is ace. Did you use cork for the rocks or something else? I am also a fan of the red rope freehand.

The rock is alabaster plaster.

The whole thing is fantastic. I would be proud to have that in an army. Great work man.

Moe
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

"Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

Brush Brother Moetle

Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
    The rock is alabaster plaster.
    With that all i can say is wow. You did not take the easy way out and it paid off. Thanks for the reply.

Just back from the pre-event nerd meet and all I can say is that if I even get through the first cut the judges need a smack to the face. And way better glasses. Amazing pieces out there.

Tried out some marble effects following some tips I got during the workshops at GD Germany. I only used one single colour, the purpose was mainly to entertain myself while not being able to sleep but I'm quite surprised by the result myself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000142.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	15182

Looks good. I might suggest going back in with a few dots, daggers, zig zags of the base white (unless using the one colour was a real restriction). What size is that dowel rod? If it's a skewer I'm super impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by QuietiManes View Post
    Looks good. I might suggest going back in with a few dots, daggers, zig zags of the base white (unless using the one colour was a real restriction). What size is that dowel rod? If it's a skewer I'm super impressed.
    That sounds like a good idea. I'll add some when I get back home in two weeks.

It's an old popsicle stick I had lying around, the diameter is pretty large, 6mm (0.23in), wanted it rather large to better see the transitions and that but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to decrease the size pretty soon and maintain the quality.

Looks like a neat effect...so how did you do it ( hint, hint ) i have a guess, but this looks like a good effect for a basic indoor type of base.

Hey Krule! I'm terribly sorry for not replying, I've totally missed that you posted. :/

It's a rather simple process to get it to that level, a small brush, a sponge, a smooth (really smooth) surface and paint so thin it's basically tinted water is all you need.
    First you spray white and prep the surface to get it perfectly smooth, several layers of white might be necessary depending on how much you chafe off when smoothing it out, you want it slightly glossy.
    Then you sporadically sponge (absolutely not evenly since that makes it look less like marble) the paint lightly on the surface.
    When that's done you initiate Parkinson's mode and start drawing light lines diagonally with a thin brush making the lines similar to lightning. You should avoid crossing lines making X's. T and Y shapes are fine but X shapes makes it look less like marble and more like cracked stone. Don't overthink it, just go with the flow, it's supposed to be random.
    When you've done a couple lines, water the paint a bit more and do some really wide "puddle-like" streaks diagonally, in the same direction as the thin lightning lines, make sure you avoid pooling, you don't want pooling marks all over the place.
    When that's done you take a slightly less diluted(only slightly) paint (same colour) and do stronger lightning like-lines following the old ones, they shouldn't match exactly, only follow each other slightly. With these lines you can also follow the edges of the even streaks of paint you did previously.

Remember to keep everything at the same angle diagonally and don't make anything cross. It's a good idea to have a couple of reference pictures of the effect you're after while doing it, it's easy to go overboard and make it more advanced than it needs to be.

While I'm at it, I'm gonna post a kit and bit bash WIP. I've decided to put together my own Necron Destroyer Lord and wanted it to be a bit different from the outdated run of the mill one.

Name:  Destroyer-Lord.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  454.8 KB