Cosplay Genre?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cosplay Genre?

Default Cosplay Genre?

Git into a conversation this week about Cosplay and Larping (Guys I work with hadn't heard of either until I mentioned Convetions and Princess Lieia wannabe's.......That perked their interest all right) after one of our colleagues had been to the Leeds Comic book convention.
    But after taking the rip out of each other for a couple of hours (I work with Scousers remember) Got asked what kind of costume / genre/ gametheme I would go for?

Had to admit if I were 20 (OK 30) years younger I'd really go for Steampunk.
    Just something about that genre, the clothing style and the Brass accessories etc, that I could find appealing.
    (And before Tim {Freakinacage} asks no, I'm not old enough to remember the Victorian era. )

But what about you? If you had the bottle, what would you dress up in for a convention?
    Remember for Conventions people, what you do behind closed doors needs to stay behind closed doors.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

hmmm....

A cop, maybe.... or perhaps a red indian, maybe a cowboy... or even a construction worker, could even go for a soldier.... or at a push a biker
    Well, here it comes... here comes the sound... the sound of confusion

A guy I know goes as the Listerine Hero from the commercials. I've been tempted to go with him as the toothbrush sidekick.

I have no idea if that will make sense to anyone outside Canada.

First of all Steampunk can be carried at any age DR. Sure, you're not going to be a Mr. Darcy with a steamhat, but being a dignified older gentleman in steampunk getup is quite feasible, and often welcome at said gatherings. (too many young'uns, not a very well-rounded cast)

There's a combination of steampunk and early aeronautical gear that appeals to me most of all. So possibly turn of the century steampunk instead of Victorian steampunk.
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

Steampunk (and you're not that much older than me Mike) or Fantasy. My son larps. Interesting but not for me. I was very into renfairs when I was young but then my knees gave out.

Actually, Roger and I are going to have a steampunk wedding. We're even making his mom and stepdad dress. It's going to be fun!
    We done done it now. We're finally hitched. We are now the dreaded two headed Roger - Liz - Bunting monster you have all feared.

steampunk too mike. i reckon you could pull it off. although you would need to extend your facial hair i reckon. too many young people in steampunk anyway. need more silver foxes!! you could be some sort of wise professor. or a professor at least... (had to get one jibe in as you took the obvious one!)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

The thing with steampunk is that it can cater to any age and you can go from the pure victorian/edwardian style to really out-there punk end of things. Liz and I have already been researching for our outfits.

Official Freak Bar Witch wiccanpony's Avatar

my idea of a cross between a Pagan/Fantasy Witch
    " So remember that, when they're beating your ass with a metal shovel while you're dressed as Little Bo Peep - it's not deviant...it's art.

Steampunk's a dangerous one. Good when it's done well, but so frequently done badly, and really not good at all when it's done badly. To the point of being a wee bit embarasing.

It's a strange phenomonon, but the vast majority of people seem to think a bit of cheap replica Victoriana clothing and a top hat with a cog on it makes for a fine steampunk look. Gluing a cog on something doesn't make it steampunk, it just makes it something with a cog glued to it!

If I was actually going to go to the effort of dressing up I'd probably fully embrace the challenge and do a Bayonetta outfit or something. Can't go wrong with a bloke in a tight catsuit with guns for heels! ;D

Blog Entries

Probably Final Fantasy tbh. Always loved that series and the costumes are just so cool looking. I'd probably be able to pull off looking like Zack I reckon.
    Failing that, I can always fall back on Eric Draven from The Crow!
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

you ever done that mich? you'd fit the bill perfectly!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Blog Entries

I was gonna do Eric Draven this year for Halloween. Alas, everyone else felt too ill to go and party. Lightweights.
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

Cosplay and LARPing are two places I will never ever go.

However, since we're playing "what if," I'll echo Steampunk, but of a more medieval and less Victorian. Specifically Warmachine and the Thief PC series. Or maybe even Discworld. Some specifics would be a Menoth Warcaster, Garrett the titular thief, or Lord Vetinary, respectively.

One costume I've ALWAYS wanted, even before I'd heard of conventions or cosplay (ah, to be young and innocent again!), is the unnamed marine from Bungie's "Marathon" series:

Last edited by Gearhead; 11-28-2010 at 08:36 PM.

Well, working on my Space Wolf power armour suit, long term project but it'll get there... Eventually... Got a few I want to do, got a ton of them my SO wants me to do, she's really the one to blame for getting me into it all. Really loved working on her Zelda cosplay, that was the most hectic summer vacation I've ever had... granted, it was my first time off that wasn't a school break as well so I'm not sure it counts. But if I'm to choose anything right now I'd go for the Space wolf suit, mainly because that's the one I'm working on at the moment.

id go for a star trek borg or hellraiser cenobite. yay.
    ...keep talking
    Forever remains

Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by wiccanpony View Post
    my idea of a cross between a Pagan/Fantasy Witch
    Knowing you Donna, you probably get arrested.

Like I said I'd really go for Steampunk, but I'd feel a bit of a tosser at my age dressed up, unless I was in a like minded (and attired group).
    I do have to agree with Jegrif though Steampunk needs to be done properly.

LIZ & ROGER, a Steampunk Wedding, those Pictures WE GOTTA SEE.
    (Holy Cr*p! I've just had a One Helluvan Idea for your Wedding Album and Invitations. Drop me an EMAIL/PM)
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jegriff View Post
    Steampunk's a dangerous one. Good when it's done well, but so frequently done badly, and really not good at all when it's done badly. To the point of being a wee bit embarasing.

It's a strange phenomonon, but the vast majority of people seem to think a bit of cheap replica Victoriana clothing and a top hat with a cog on it makes for a fine steampunk look. Gluing a cog on something doesn't make it steampunk, it just makes it something with a cog glued to it!

If I was actually going to go to the effort of dressing up I'd probably fully embrace the challenge and do a Bayonetta outfit or something. Can't go wrong with a bloke in a tight catsuit with guns for heels! ;D
    I agree that just tacking a little cog to something does not itself make something steampunk but you can have a simple Victorian outfit and still fit in the steampunk world. This is more at the end of the steampunk genre that is Jules Verne and H.G. Wells. Liz and I have done our research and Liz is on a steampunk forum. There's a great variety of styles out there that people go for, as well as archetypes. Now, for our wedding guests who aren't in to and have no clue as to steampunk we'll basically just point them in the Verne/Wells direction.

I've always wanted to do the 40k thing. Not the bulky Space Marine Behemoth armor, maybe a robed Farseer or Aspect Warrior.
    Otherwise, if it were for a comic/cosplay convention and not a gaming convention, I would say post-apocalyptic knight.
    Something that wouldn't look out of place in a Fallout game.

Maybe I'm an old crumudgeon, but I don't think I could bring myself to dressing up...or LARPing.

Done some larping. Got in on the Vampire LRP for a few years at Gencon UK. Costume there was pretty much just "smart and/or sexy", depending on what Clan one was on. No action in that though, all verbal roleplaying, with any conflict/challenges coming down to a paper/scissor/stone over comparable skills. I'd do that again, dust off a suit, shades and hair gel for clan Toreador, or maybe Brujah if I was up for something more grr, letting the hair out and with the old biker leather jacket.

Had a team-building day out with GW. Instead of painball we plumped for a day down Chislehurst Caves. It's used for LARPing. Generic fantasy stuff. We made little effort to dress up as the group of hobgoblins or whatever we were supposed to be. Fun though, waving swords about. Especially handy, the lightness of the weapons meaning I could use the fencing skills with a 2hander. Mortifying to be encountered wearing any of that get up by folk unaware of it though.

If I properly got into any of that lark the most appealing period would be Dark Ages. Saxon/Norman era at a push. Did consider joining a Knights Templar re-enactmenet chapter house for a while but life got messy.