WHFB 1000-2000 point army with few units.

Thread: WHFB 1000-2000 point army with few units.

Default WHFB 1000-2000 point army with few units.

Hello!

I would like some advice. I am a newbie to warhammer and have little experience putting together an army. I would like to create a 1000 or 2000 point army, using as few units as possible. I would like high-point units to make the army as small as possible, but still powerful and useful in a normal Fantasy Battle session :)

Thanks for any hints!

-Hakan

Okay, I\'m far from an expert, but in general, I\'d say that Chaos armies tend to need fewer units to be powerful and effective. I\'m at work so I don\'t have my CHaos army book with me so I don\'t have any of the numbers, but... A fair sized unit (10 - 12 models) of fully decked out Chaos Chosen Knights, a couple of chariots (each one counts as a unit, but they\'re more effective if used in tandem), and a character (Champion, Aspiring Champion, or Sorcerer) would eat up a majority of 1000 points, yet could be an effective force IMHO

Default I tend to agree...

Never have actually played a game of warhammer, but I do punish myself by reading the rulebooks.

The chaos armies tend to be much smaller, more powerful, and vastly more expensive per unit that most others.

I\'d say, I agree with Dauber, even though I had to write him out of my will!!!lol

Khornate chariot army. No doubt...

No tell a lie Tzeentch chariot army, also friggin dangerous! Pound for pound the cheapest effective army you can buy.

Or the all minotaur and Dragon ogre army of doom!:bouncy::flip:

Originally posted by Taer
    Oh! Oh! Yeah! But, so many choices, so little money! I think I\'ll take a closer look at the chaos chariots army.. sounds nice! :) Thanks.

Originally posted by bakalla
    Originally posted by Taer
    Oh! Oh! Yeah! But, so many choices, so little money! I think I\'ll take a closer look at the chaos chariots army.. sounds nice! :) Thanks.
    Only at 2000 points and its not that small!:rolleyes:

If you do go for chaos, don\'t forget about chaos knights. Their a real point eater if your looking for a small force.

And having been on the recieving end many times, I know just how scary they can be when they are tooled up and used well.

If you do chaos, a Tzeentch chaos warrior force would be VERY small. Since all your characters take the mark of Tzeentch and become wizards, you spend about 1/3 more on characters than normal. I worked out a a 2000 point list that had a Tzeentch lord and 3 exalted champions, with a unit of 20 chosen chaos warriors and 2 units of 10 normal chaos warriors as the troops.

Now that is small, it would only cost like £60 to buy lol

eyeball_kid

Originally posted by AlexDaKid
    Khornate chariot army. No doubt...
    khorne chariot armys dont work. all the opponent has to do is put something in a forest or other terrain, and all your chariots charge and smash themselves to bits.

as for really small armies, try lizardmen witha 2nd gen slann, saurus, and stuff like stegadons. or do an all cavalry empire army. it\'s small, efffective, and really cheap since it\'s almost entirely plastic.

Hi-lite-r

Tzeench chaos is the smallest by far... theres 14 model army made quite easily for 2000 points... tzeench lord on chaos dragon, 2 exalted champions in chariots, and 10 screamers of tzeench. its not the cheapest smaller army (the old chaos dragon is like a 60 dollar bit order...) but it\'ll set ya back around 280 bucks...

Another option would be a brettonian army or a empire all cav army. they run pretty small and are mostly plastic. Would be pretty cheap in smaller games at first.

What i would suggest is too prolly go with empire cav., because you can fill out a 1000 point army rather fast in this way, and also by playing empire, you can build up to 2000 with cav. or add the other like 20 units they have at their disposal.

So basically start small at 1000. get that bought and painted, then build slowly from there. will give you a chance to play games get experience and slowly add units that will help your army. More than once i have bought units that in the end i rarely use as the handicap my playing style and army dynamic *Cough*-Stegadon-*Cough*

cheers

I think you can make any army (except skaven) pretty small by giving your heroes and lords lots of magic items. And usually you can put your lord on some kind of monster and he\'ll easily eat up 400 points alone. Whether this is good or not depends on your playing style. I\'ve found that having more and cheaper units is often better than having a few very expensive ones. ..\'cause they can still break and run!:o

Tzeench chaos is the smallest by far... theres 14 model army made quite easily for 2000 points... tzeench lord on chaos dragon, 2 exalted champions in chariots, and 10 screamers of tzeench.
    You need 3 core choices for a 2000 point army, yours only has 2 (the chariots)

Hi-lite-r

yeah forgot the un-character mounted chariot... buts its a nasty list.. play it when somebodies head gets too big around my gaming group about their army to shut them down for a little while :D

err... I really dont play either but my friends do ... I think the army that you are looking for in warhammer 40k would be the Grayknights. I think with any other army you will be out numbered w/ them. They are slow because they cant have any vehicals but they can deep strike. And I think that they are pretty tough. Again I think. I dont play but I want. The nastyest army I have seen have been blood angels though. (thats only if they are played corectly) But with the Death company and there saves... Well hope you can roll well. :) O\' O\' O\' ... I think there is a way to make an all death company army .... now that would be nasty to play against. Ok i think I\'m done. Toodles :)

I\'ve gone up against quite a few lizard men armies that where fairly small but wiped me out quite well.
    let\'s see...
    stegadon
    skink unit
    2 saurus units
    2 skink preists
    saurus hero (don\'t know the actual name)

he pumped up the hero and the preists, gave a saurus unit some magic plauqe (immagine the dentist bills). and his hero wiped my army before I got into combat with anything other than the steggadon which I promptly ran from.

Aragorns_mate

try a small chaos force tooled up to the teeth with magic! :D cant go wrong with that really

Originally posted by Aragorns_mate
    try a small chaos force tooled up to the teeth with magic! :D cant go wrong with that really
    Unless you have a bad tendency to roll double 1 every over turn ( that would be me :P). And magic is nice in suport but dosn\'t do all the job.