Is this reallt that bad ?!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Is this reallt that bad ?!

  1. #1
    Newbie, please be gentle Vanilla vincent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sweden-Kristianstad
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Unhappy Is this reallt that bad ?!

    Paintet the Sanguinor and thought i post it hear but i think that was a mistake
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/266222

    it only got a 6,6 rating.
    it made my really sad , is it really that bad ?
    and whats wrong on him then ?

    I know im not a expert painter like razza and thos guys but still ....

  2. #2

    Default

    The pictures are small, and the details are hard to see. So that's probably a good solid 0.5-1.0 off the score, depending on if seeing the details helps or hurts. There's some sort of details on the base (the red letters?) but since that's not shown well it doesn't help the score.

    All in all, I probably would give it around a 6. Maybe a 7 if the details were better shown. And try to think positively. Average, normal pieces are (supposedly) a 5, so this is above average table-top. If it was bad, you'd see a 3 or 4.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

  3. #3
    Newbie, please be gentle Vanilla vincent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sweden-Kristianstad
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PegaZus View Post
    The pictures are small, and the details are hard to see. So that's probably a good solid 0.5-1.0 off the score, depending on if seeing the details helps or hurts. There's some sort of details on the base (the red letters?) but since that's not shown well it doesn't help the score.

    All in all, I probably would give it around a 6. Maybe a 7 if the details were better shown. And try to think positively. Average, normal pieces are (supposedly) a 5, so this is above average table-top. If it was bad, you'd see a 3 or 4.
    Well yeah the pic is not the best but its not that bad

    and I painted the mini to be a centerpice not only for gaming
    the really sad thing is that my terminator lord http://www.coolminiornot.com/207655 have the same rating and its a much worse picture and painting (it is painted for gaming)
    I dident expect a 8,5-9 in rating but i think after 15-20h of painting and only get 6,5 is a bit sad

  4. #4
    Superfreak!!! lizcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Posts
    5,549
    Blog Entries
    29
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    It's getting a 7.1 from registered voters. I usually go by that score as there is less snipe voting with registered voters.

    I think you have a problem which is common among many voters and is quite frustrating. Your camera work needs a bit of help. I know that we shouldn't judge by the picture but we can only judge by what we see.

    I'd give it a 7 myself. But 7 is a good score. It's hard to break an 8. I still haven't. Don't get too bent out of shape. In the long run it's about weither you had fun and learned something or not.
    We done done it now. We're finally hitched. We are now the dreaded two headed Roger - Liz - Bunting monster you have all feared.

  5. #5

    Default

    I was talking with Mr mcvey a little time ago about cmon and he used the term 'if you like to play that game'.
    posting here is not just about painting.
    we are all judged on: painting, photography, presentation, mini choice, base choice, social interaction, etc.
    bear ALL these in mind when you post here.

    I'VE ADDED WEBCAM LESSONS NOW TOO!
    And a YOUTUBE channel
    Instagram and FaceBook too

  6. #6
    Newbie, please be gentle Vanilla vincent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sweden-Kristianstad
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommie Soule View Post
    I was talking with Mr mcvey a little time ago about cmon and he used the term 'if you like to play that game'.
    posting here is not just about painting.
    we are all judged on: painting, photography, presentation, mini choice, base choice, social interaction, etc.
    bear ALL these in mind when you post here.
    Well thats is weard (well in that case i think i lost a 1.5 only on my name haha)
    but I really dont like that EVERYONE can vote ... I think thear is meny kids/trolls that vote 1 only too ruin for others

  7. #7
    Superfreak!!! Torn blue sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Under your bed.
    Posts
    7,214
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Yeah standards have changed a lot in recent years, like Liz said, even really accomplished painters can find it tricky to break 8 now.
    I'd suggest a darker background to show off the lighter colours and a more close up picture. Unfortunately, the kicker about this is; If your picture isn't up to scratch people can only go with what they see. You could have won the slayer sword, but crappy quality pics will still drag you down.
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

  8. #8

    Default

    well, thats not a bad score, its actually quite respectable (by my browbeaten standards). the painting is nice and clean, but the model is kinda lumpy and unattractive. model selection counts for a lot.

  9. #9

    Default

    picture quality doesnt appear to be that bad the mini looks well painted certainly deserving of more than a 6.6 i would give it an 8.9 in fact ill just nip off and vote right now. dont let the b£$%^&ds grind ya down. there are people here like the lot above who are regulars here and decent bunch they are too unfortunatly ya get a few clampits in the mix as well. it takes a while to get established here as anywhere really, so stick with it and paint for you not for the scores, its nice to get a high rating but not life changingly important.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

    cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

    on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive


  10. #10

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla vincent View Post
    Well thats is weard (well in that case i think i lost a 1.5 only on my name haha)
    but I really dont like that EVERYONE can vote ... I think thear is meny kids/trolls that vote 1 only too ruin for others
    so here is a quote taken from one of my mini's from my gallery

    "I dont understand the opinion of yours figure!!! 4 times you delete picture and paste ahain becouse you have only 6!!!!!!! thi is nice foto but made in Adobe Photoshop !!! Those figure don't look so imazing in real picture!!!!! this is only 6-7 not 8.9!!!!!! ahhah this is olwy washed metal !! my 3old son paintig better that you!!!"

    I didn't whine, I left it. at the time this comment was posted the score was 6.5, it's now a 9.1

    so we are all subject to idiots. so learn, move on

    I'VE ADDED WEBCAM LESSONS NOW TOO!
    And a YOUTUBE channel
    Instagram and FaceBook too

  12. #12
    Superfreak!!! Torn blue sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Under your bed.
    Posts
    7,214
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    His 3 year old son probably spells better than him though lmao
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

  13. #13

    Default

    you know the score isnt all. but i know its kind of down beating to se it drop rock bottom, i wouldnt be to heartbreaken about it. like chern said, its like puting your work at the lovren museum when you submit something here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommie Soule View Post
    "I dont understand the opinion of yours figure!!! 4 times you delete picture and paste ahain becouse you have only 6!!!!!!! thi is nice foto but made in Adobe Photoshop !!! Those figure don't look so imazing in real picture!!!!! this is only 6-7 not 8.9!!!!!! ahhah this is olwy washed metal !! my 3old son paintig better that you!!!"
    Holy moly, what a sucker!
    ...keep talking
    Forever remains

    Instagram

  14. #14

    Default

    I think it's a decent paintjob on a moderate miniature. This modell is quite boring, because it consists nearly entirely from metal. It has no real face, only a mask and there are little other details on the mini. SO, it's quite difficult to make this miniature interesting (aka "cool" -> high scores). You could have painted it with NMM or SENMM or give it a really good TM shading, but both alternatives are very difficult. So I think a 6-7 rating is not too bad for this model...

  15. #15

    Default

    I have taken a long time to look at your mini. It took me some time to realise the small scratches/internal reflections you have painted on the crystal-blade. Also, it looks like there could be interesting shadows on the torso and the gems might really pop. The blending seems to be very fine too.

    I said "could", "might" and "seems", because the foto is just that tiny bit to much out of focus to see those things clearly.
    I guess that if you would take realy crisp fotos and if that fotos hold up to what the current ones seem to hint at, then the votes would go considerably higher. Could even get an 8 from me if it is as good as I think.
    As it is, I refrain from voting, just because I cannot judge properly.
    Having said that, I myself have problems with taking sharp fotos, which is one of the reasons my gallery is still empty ;-)

    On a side note: Keep in mind that it is "cool" mini, not "good painted" mini. For my taste that sculpt is kinda uncool in itself (very static and a near-copy of saint celestine") which might damage the vote as others have pointed out before me.
    When I was your age, Yuggoth was a planet.

    GW cares not from whence the cash flows, only that it flows!

  16. #16

    Default

    It's a very good solid paintjob imo, pics need to be bigger like others have said, the sword looks very nice but again not big enough to really tell. As someone said elsewhere before we've had a surge of golden deamon entries of very high caliber which will make other models seem more plain and not as "good" or "interesting" as people will have these exceptional minis fresh in mind, and that'll push scores down slightly. If this was my mini I'd be upset with less than a 7.0-7.5 if I'm honest.

  17. #17
    Newbie, please be gentle Vanilla vincent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sweden-Kristianstad
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vegel View Post
    I voted an 8 ^^
    big thanx to you !

  18. #18
    Newbie, please be gentle Vanilla vincent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sweden-Kristianstad
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommie Soule View Post
    so here is a quote taken from one of my mini's from my gallery

    "I dont understand the opinion of yours figure!!! 4 times you delete picture and paste ahain becouse you have only 6!!!!!!! thi is nice foto but made in Adobe Photoshop !!! Those figure don't look so imazing in real picture!!!!! this is only 6-7 not 8.9!!!!!! ahhah this is olwy washed metal !! my 3old son paintig better that you!!!"

    I didn't whine, I left it. at the time this comment was posted the score was 6.5, it's now a 9.1

    so we are all subject to idiots. so learn, move on
    That is really sick , and sad .. to bad that ther are so meny idiots on the internet even hear
    your painting is amazing and I hope i can paint like that one day !

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanilla vincent View Post
    That is really sick , and sad .. to bad that ther are so meny idiots on the internet even hear
    your painting is amazing and I hope i can paint like that one day !
    you will mate if you take the knocks like a champ, all the guys here left good advice, take it and enjoy your painting and posting

    Tommie

    I'VE ADDED WEBCAM LESSONS NOW TOO!
    And a YOUTUBE channel
    Instagram and FaceBook too

  20. #20

    Default

    like tommie said....you can be top dog in your area, but here the area is a hell of a lot bigger and to score high, you gotta have something that pushes the limits and boundaries for everything you do. ive worked my butt of for three years to get 9's. its tough, but take a look at my first mini and one of my last....we grow and get better with time. time will show how much better you get and you'll get those scores you want if you persevere.

    in the end though: its just a number.
    Brushlicking is the miniature painting equivalent of a rock'n'roll life-style!

    Here is my ranking:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Privacy Policy  |   Terms and Conditions  |   Contact Us  |   The Legion


Copyright © 2001-2018 CMON Inc.

-->