Help me finish my gaming table!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me finish my gaming table!

Default Help me finish my gaming table!

Hey guys, first post! So I've been working on this:

...and I'd like to add some space station/research station/outpost type buildings to it as permanent fixtures, and maybe some small walkways/bridges across the lava rivers. Any ideas? (it's 4'x5' by the way)

thanks!

OH MAN! That is wonderful. No ideas for you, but I'll think about it.

might be hard enough to get buildings on that as the surface is coverd in cracks etc, would something like the star wars movie scene on the lava planet be in order i.e stilts, pipes and gantries etc over the lava streams, word of advice supervike,s next suggestion may involve a couple of large dome like structures. lol
    Last edited by cassar; 12-19-2010 at 10:30 AM.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

"stilted" buildings would be a great idea, perhaps the stilts could be rather bulky/full of pipes to retain the grungy sci fi look and not some sort of bayou aesthetic haha. here's a description of how i built this table: http://jerseyfleshtimetrack.blogspot...for-wh40k.html

oh any the bumpy cracky surface is no concern, i would just knife out the building's base outline from the board and use filler, i'd be using filler even if these buildings were going on a flat surface to give it a more organic look anyway

Quote Originally Posted by wejee View Post
    Hey guys, first post! ............ Any ideas? (it's 4'x5' by the way)

thanks!
    Yep Kind of a biggish one....Lose the "Lumpy bits" on the lefthand side of the table, that would give you more space to work on an outpost.

You could think of some simple things like a domed structure, toilet Cistern ballcock ball on a small strut as a starter.
    Last edited by Dragonsreach; 12-19-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: apparently I can't spell left anymore
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

those lumpy bits on the left (referring to the black ground right? not the pillars?) are craters upon closer onspection (i gotta up a hi-res pic) and I would like to carve out a spot within/overlapping them to place a totally wrecked bombed out building, so I prepared for this by bombing out the ground there.

new booblike structures would come into it sooner or later lol. D R watcha doing here anyway shouldnt you be refin the big fight still?

ooh p.s. just thought high ground would be a nice place to set up camp especially if there's rivers of lava near ya. plumbers plastic piping, various diameters etc
    Last edited by cassar; 12-19-2010 at 11:37 AM.

a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    toilet Cistern ballcock ball

Yep I'm refering to the pillars.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

ah clear now coolio

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Yep I'm refering to the pillars.
    yeah theres a good chance i may lose all the pillars altogether, I think a) i could do a better job with them/make them a more thoughtful shape, and b) i'm not sure ANY pillars really adds anything useful to the overall look of the board.

I did make them detachable for this very reason, so losing them is as simple as taking them off their pins

so far i am very much onboard to drop those leftern pillars and construct a half-bombed structure there (bombed on the part where its black ground), good eye!

What are your guys' opinions on losing ALL the pillars, because that has been of great debate to me from the start

perhaps to draw an elevated pipeline from THAT structure down to the bottom left area of the board, and have that piping going into a small structure?

also what i REALLY need as well is some comments on bridges going across the lava rivers. this table is for 40k (pretty much exclusively right now) and i need the bridges to work gameplay-wise, at the very least a leman russ width, but maybe i would be safer at a land raider width, but we're not dealing with much space around the rivers
    Last edited by wejee; 12-19-2010 at 12:17 PM.

OK so here is what I'm thinking. Everything's in the air at this point so feel free to suggest wild and radical changes to this plan!

Would lose all pillars for now, possibly replace them somewhere on the board but they are not my priority until after the structures are down

Yellow = bridges. 'X's are bridges i am most unsure about the placement of, and may not include. Bridges will have to be gameplay as first priority, aesthetic as second (40k).

light green = non-enterable structures, such radar/satellite or antennae buildings, possibly a little power gen and run it to one of the larger buildings. may do a power gen on the left light green one, run it to the blue building, and have the right light green be a huge antenna/radar structure. This would be nice because its on elevated ground and makes sense in that regard.

Blue = this would be a half ruins-style structure, open on the light blue part, light blue mostly rubble, so the blue part would be open/accessible interior from the light blue part.

Red = power gen

Pink/purple = piping running from the two structures. Have not decided whether I want this to be elevated or not. I may run it along/partially under the ground to the ridge, then run it vertical, then run it horizontal again flush with the ground on the second elevation to the building. I think I could do this: having it partially underground and have it be only difficult terrain and provide, what, 5+ cover, 4+?

Green = structure "peeled back" on the bottom and right hand sides, allowing access to interior.

So thats the plan. With this plan there are only two buildings which may be entered. I will have to lay pieces of paper down on the table to rep each structure to get a legit feel for how much space these all occupy and whether I can cram anything else in or if its already too busy in areas (I like to build very busy tables, I have a rolled up grass mat and loose terrain I use for when I want to play a game using a "balanced-gameplay" battlefield). Anyway, so any thoughts on this?

I know I shouldn't be asking rules questions here (sorry!), but does anyone know (for 40k) how to handle tanks crossing rivers that are aprox 2-3 inches wide? Wide enough to be impassable for infantry, but "realistically" narrow enough for a tank to cross, even w/out trench guards(or whatever theyre called)... Is it just difficult terrain for tanks? Couldnt find it in the rulebook...

This is really important for me to know in terms of deciding how wide to make the bridges. If tanks can cross the rivers on their own, I could make the bridges MUCH more narrow and it would make life much easier for me

Man, that table looks ace! Wouldnt mind playing on that. We play on a lava terrain board for planet strike and make it dangerous terrain so tanks are imobilised on a roll of a 1.

Blog Entries

I dig it! I can only echo other people's opinions and just make it easier to place buildings / other terrain there. Looks evil!

Quote Originally Posted by Wicksy View Post
    Man, that table looks ace! Wouldnt mind playing on that. We play on a lava terrain board for planet strike and make it dangerous terrain so tanks are imobilised on a roll of a 1.
    ah!!! right, how did that slip my mind? i'll be honest i have been sick with 2 liver diseases cirrhosis and a rare hepatitis the past 4 months and have been unable to game and prob forgot a lotta rules, just got better a few weeks ago... still "sick" for life with these diseases, but totally manageable (oh and im not a needle user or anything, people ask that a lot, no one has a clue how I got the diseases)

Quote Originally Posted by Arma View Post
    I dig it! I can only echo other people's opinions and just make it easier to place buildings / other terrain there. Looks evil!
    whoa you're from osaka? thats a harsh place from what I hear man! Do you listen to Masonna?