leaked Skaven models. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: leaked Skaven models.

just go to the GW website and click on advanced orders for skaven and its all there... so cant really say its leaked...

Quote Originally Posted by BPI View Post
    http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...Id=prod900157a

I just read the email from GW about their forthcoming Skaven releases. Good grief! The Skaven Hell Pit Abomination is one fugly model. Ignoring how plasticky it looks & whether it's a decent sculpt, is anyone else thinking that the introduction of the Foundation paints have done GW a real disservice? I'm starting to have to accept that I can no longer tell if I like GW minis from their house paint job & I have to wait to see a decent one here! What do you make of this Skaven Monster King Skelettets?

Cheers, B.
    At the risk of insulting any GW Eavy Metal painters here, I have to agree. There have been a lot of figures that have shown up lately with paint jobs that are either terrible for the model (Minotaurs, "Pumba-gore"), or terrible in the picture (See the Hell Pit Abom. Advanced Order picture. White on white background, ugh). I think the HPA might be one of them, but the model itself is way too "Busy". It just looks cluttered, piecemeal, and there is just too much happening on too little space. There's a reason Lovecraft's Shoggoths make people go insane, and while it's correctly represented on that model, it'll also make the modeler/painter go insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Fang View Post
    just go to the GW website and click on advanced orders for skaven and its all there... so cant really say its leaked...
    except that the thread was started last year, decade even, before they were out. so it was true at the time
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

If the EM painter that's done this stuff is about, please do post! I'd really like to compare your Gallery of personal work to your studio paintjobs. Is this your style, in which case, fair enough, I don't like it but at least it's a genuine expression. Or is it just what the studio demanded? Did you only have a couple of days to thrash through it? (I suspect a piece this big would take me 2-3 months).

I'm most puzzled by the GWs decision to stick with this style when it ruined the 2010 Beastmen releases. The conclusion across numerous forums was that the Minoroids looked crap but if you check out *this* particular paint job you can see how much better they can look. Same was true for the Gors, UnGors & Pumbagore. The Skaven meanwhile seem to have been the best received release, why sully this second wave with a style that hasn't gone down well? The Dark Eldar sharp lining style really helped to distract from the inevitable inferiority of plastic compared to metal. This pale style instead accentuates the softness of the product.

Personally, I'd sneak over to this painter's desk, steal their bottles of Dheneb Stone & Khemri Brown, replace them with a selection of W&N drawing inks & the pdf compilation of early EM work & leave them to it for a couple of weeks with the expectation of seeing some more depth & punch in their work.

Come on GW, your paintjobs are supposed to make me lust after a model, not dismiss it within seconds!

Cheers, B.

PS Skel, does that mean you've ordered one?
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

There was no linky there BPI. I dont like the abomination too much going on. It should be slightly bigger or not as much crap stuffed into it. A lot of recent sculpts by GW i do not like. Not hitting GW but mini's need to attract the buyer through nice looks and great paint jobs.

Hi MOF, does the link I posted and Dedwrekka quoted not work from your side of the pond? I always seem to have trouble with links to GW's site It's in Warhammer Advance Orders for anyone wondering what I'm whiffling on about!

I agree that it looks a bit cluttered & have the impression that there's not a lot of room for adaptation without lots of putty. I'm sure in a month or so there'll be plenty of interesting versions of it floating about though.

I'm interested in the CMoN painterly impressions of it though, so many other sites are wargamer focused & people are getting giddy about being able to field 2 of these in their armies but their enthusiasm for gaming doesn't always seem to allow much room for critical commentary. Oh well

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

I like both ikit and the blob. + it sounds like a good cartoon: "It's Ikit and the blob blob blob blob..."

About the paintjob, could be the picture as well. I've been shocked sometimes on how good pj's are ruined by the way they photograph.

Quote Originally Posted by Avelorn View Post
    I like both ikit and the blob. + it sounds like a good cartoon: "It's Ikit and the blob blob blob blob..."
    is that to the tune of pinky and the brain?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Avelorn View Post
    About the paintjob, could be the picture as well. I've been shocked sometimes on how good pj's are ruined by the way they photograph.
    Good point, that stark white background is horrible & the number of times I see minis in WD where the photoshop cutout tool has been sloppily used & deleted parts of miniatures just makes me cringe (usually the bottoms of scabbards & bows that should be peeking out from the back).

I assume that the new WD will have a battle report & the chance to see this thing with the proper background of a gaming table. In which case I shall switch my railing from the artist to the marketing team

I confess I have these same niggles about many smaller companies out there but with GW being the biggest kid on the block I'll just aim my ire at them. I'm a crap shot anyway so need a big target

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Just going to say MEH!
    Shorthand for bland and uninteresting.
    yeah, ditto.

I dont think its so much about "how much is going on" with the hellpits, I mean they are abominations afterall.Its the odd liquid esq flowing silly-puttyness that makes them look so unrealistic.Some randomness to the model makes sense but they just dont seem like something that would flow like that.The only reason anyone will catch me buying this kit is for the bits to convert more rat ogres...I'v made my own hellpit out of a mix of white glue and flower detailed w/green stuff and it looks way better than these.

p.s. I take back my love for the doomflayer....its pew-ter (it stinks to work with and cost too much for what it is.)

Have to say, I actually bought a Hell Pit Abomination (don't know what possessed me, I just had a random - I'm passing a GW, I'm going into a GW, all the geekery of old is flooding back, woah, that's a gnarly gruesome thing, I'm at the counter with my wallet out, it's just like old times - moment) and it's so much better than the GW paint job shows.

It is blobby, gribbly and lacking in elegance, but that's pretty much how it should be. It's a great sculpt as far as looking like a powerful bulky hellish creature and there are some really good details. It fits together well too. It's also really large. £30 doesn't feel like too much of a sting now I've got it built and see how it towers above a normal mini.

I am impressed.

Blog Entries

Woo, where you been hiding guv?
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

i suspected the mini has more to offer than the shitty pj of GW shows. ill probably buy one.

Im not a fan of fantasy in general (warhammer anyway) i just could not focus on the minature itself. The fluff behind it is that its a blind worm with horrific experiments done. If it was a bit more worm like with some cool rat stuff added id understand it. In my opinion it could be better. (not that i could produce results like this)

Holy crap! lono! Where've you been hiding?

Ha! Hey guys. Have been popping back for a look every now and then, but not often enough to know what the blazes is going on any more. There are lots of new folk, people I vaguely remember have post counts in the millions now, somehow the paint jobs keep on improving, and what used to be a 9 is an 8. It's all rather baffling!

I took some time out, did some other stuff, had some good times, had some bad times, matured... kinda (like a fine wine that has backwash of cheese in it). Didn't do any painting. But I never used to either!

I think absence and becoming detached eventually takes you to a point where minis seem a lot more exciting all of a sudden. Even picking up a brush and slapping some paint about feels good. Gallery update coming in 2017!