spot the stupid mistake
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 134

Thread: spot the stupid mistake

  1. #1

    Default spot the stupid mistake

    i just wanted to start a thread where mistakes/ommissions etc with the general fluff could be pointed out and discussed.

    for example the chain sword looks like a mean bit of kit, however its a mechanical device and as such prone to breakdowns, failures and power loss my SPOT/catch is rather than having the weapon as just a chain sword why didnt the designers make the back edge a sword BLADE rather than a metal cover it seems to me it wouldnt have been to difficult to do and should there be a breakage/mechanical failure then you would be left with more than just a club to bludgeon your enemy with
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

    cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

    on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive


  2. #2

    Default

    The humble boltgun is a good example of looks over fluff. Each "bolt" is a caseless self propellent projectile. Why is there a lot of eject casings flying about hmmmmmmmmmmm!!

  3. #3

    Default

    I'll throw out the Leman Russ. In ~38,000 years of development where humans have spaceships and can construct fortresses that withstand plasma warheads, we rely on tank treads? Really? Style over believability. (to be honest though, I wouldn't change it)
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Master of fact View Post
    The humble boltgun is a good example of looks over fluff. Each "bolt" is a caseless self propellent projectile. Why is there a lot of eject casings flying about hmmmmmmmmmmm!!
    It's called LCF....Look Cool Factor

    Everything in the 40k Universe is technically wrong, but looks cool.Look at a Terminator Suit, it is physically impossible to have a human contort to fit in a suit. I learned this from a few past projects.
    Spanish Balloons? Mongo like spanish balloons!

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IdofEntity View Post
    I'll throw out the Leman Russ. In ~38,000 years of development where humans have spaceships and can construct fortresses that withstand plasma warheads, we rely on tank treads? Really? Style over believability. (to be honest though, I wouldn't change it)
    not just the treads the whole design is ancient even for now did somebody just happen to have an old airfix world war 1 tank lying around and think that'll do no one will notice if i stick this bit here on.

    bolt guns caseless didnt know that till now (see we are all learning) h n k have caseless ammo now, pain in the arse to load tho. (evolutionary cul de sac)

    re the terminator armour if you look at the torso of the mini's with the head in place they dont actually have a midriff the head sits on the chest and shoulders which in turn sit directly on the waist/pants section (cheers khargrim).
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

    cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

    on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive


  6. #6

    Default

    awww, guys you are taking the fun out of it though. It's fantasy! Nothing is sposed to make sense!

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DXM View Post
    It's called LCF....Look Cool Factor

    Everything in the 40k Universe is technically wrong, but looks cool.Look at a Terminator Suit, it is physically impossible to have a human contort to fit in a suit. I learned this from a few past projects.
    But arent they genetically modified somehow. The marines I mean, so maybe they just screw up their body shape so they fit in the suit and at the same time make them super human. Idk I have no idea about fluff stuff was just a thought.
    Now available for commissions.
    My Blog
    My Gallery

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noddwyr View Post
    But arent they genetically modified somehow. The marines I mean, so maybe they just screw up their body shape so they fit in the suit and at the same time make them super human. Idk I have no idea about fluff stuff was just a thought.
    Maybe if they're Eunuchs. Lovely singing voices, those termies.

    And FieldArchy....We're geeks. It's what we do. You might as well tell a geek not to compare Kirk & Picard.
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IdofEntity View Post
    Maybe if they're Eunuchs. Lovely singing voices, those termies.
    Meh why not? At least they cant go do naughty things and start controversy. :P.
    Now available for commissions.
    My Blog
    My Gallery

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IdofEntity View Post
    Maybe if they're Eunuchs. Lovely singing voices, those termies.

    And FieldArchy....We're geeks. It's what we do. You might as well tell a geek not to compare Kirk & Picard.

    I'm aware Id. i was being sarcastic.

  11. #11

    Default

    Alright, I've got one. Tau Railguns. If you look at the Broadside Battlesuits Twin-linked Railguns, and then at the Railgun mounted on the Hammerhead Gunship you have to wonder how those are even in the same class of destructive power. If the slug a broadside's units are firing are just as potent as the round on a Hammerhead, why not just mount the Twin-Linked Railgun to a Hammerhead and save yourself some engineering headaches. (Yes the Hammerhead can fire submunition rounds, but that's not really a firearm issue so much as swapping out rounds)

    At least they made the railguns are longer to sort of match up with the logisitical headache of magnetic acceleration.
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

  12. #12

    Default

    Going into battle with EVERYTHING but the kitchen sink....so much stuff that it's hard to find the soldier beneath all the 'stuff.'

    Two legged 'tanks.' Look cool, way to easy to tip over.

  13. #13

    Default

    yeah any kind of bipedal walker thing is going to be inherently unstable
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

  14. #14

    Default

    Well, the fact is that just because you feel it is prone to malfunction doesn’t mean it has to. If you also read the background material, you would see that each marine is responsible for the care of their gear. This includes chainswords. So, while cleaning old blood and gore from the blades of the chainsword, he would notice if there is any wear on the motor and other bits. In turn he would go and get the right part to fix it, rig it on his own or get a new one and turn in the old one so it could be salvaged and the working part reintroduced in the form of a new blade. This also goes for armour.

    The armies of the Emperor still use tread vehicles because that’s what they know. There were centuries of war on earth, so they basically blew themselves back to the Stone Age. That is why the tech priest of Mars get so excited when they hear news of lost templates (blue prints). For example, my wife is an excellent cook, but she can’t make phyllo dough from the top of her head. She could keep trying over and over. But when your job is to keep punching out cookie cutter weapons and vehicles for a constant war, you don’t get too much time to figure out things through trial and error. Not to mention, anything too alien would not be accepted by the Imperium.

    I found this talk of ‘caseless self propellent projectile’ was never heard of by me. So I did some research.

    “Bolter ammunition (a bolt) is primarily a solid slug. Conventional solid slugs utilize a propellant charge contained in a casing that, when ignited, forces the bullet out of the barrel. In contrast, a bolt is self-propelled; it features its own integrated solid propellant which propels the bolt at high speeds, essentially acting like a miniature rocket. The propellant itself is shaped to control the bolt's direction and speed; however, this method of rocket propulsion would normally warp the barrel due to gas pressure. The Bolter uses an ingenious method to prevent this.

    As well as the rocket propellant, a tiny amount of conventional charge is also utilized. This charge is just strong enough to force the bolt out of the barrel and ignite the bolt's propellant. The rocket-propellant is carefully fused to ignite just after leaving the barrel, alleviating any possibility of pressure build-up. The bolt then accelerates away towards the target under its own power.”

    The Emperor Protects
    Iron Father Buddha
    Last edited by Ebonbuddha; 12-27-2010 at 01:22 PM.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn R. L. View Post
    Two legged 'tanks.' Look cool, way to easy to tip over.
    Just hire a couple of ewoks......chuck in a couple of logs.......a bit of string, and your screwed.

  16. #16

    Default

    Something that's been bothering me is the bolt in the Bolter, the hunk of metal that's supposed to move around inside the end of the barrel and is the thing that makes the gun you know, work... Now, I'm no gun nut but in my world that should be at least roughly aligned with the barrel...

    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ebonbuddha View Post
    Well, the fact is that just because you feel it is prone to malfunction doesn’t mean it has to. If you also read the background material, you would see that each marine is responsible for the care of their gear. This includes chainswords. So, while cleaning old blood and gore from the blades of the chainsword, he would notice if there is any wear on the motor and other bits. In turn he would go and get the right part to fix it, rig it on his own or get a new one and turn in the old one so it could be salvaged and the working part reintroduced in the form of a new blade. This also goes for armour.

    The armies of the Emperor still use tread vehicles because that’s what they know. There were centuries of war on earth, so they basically blew themselves back to the Stone Age. That is why the tech priest of Mars get so excited when they hear news of lost templates (blue prints). For example, my wife is an excellent cook, but she can’t make phyllo dough from the top of her head. She could keep trying over and over. But when your job is to keep punching out cookie cutter weapons and vehicles for a constant war, you don’t get too much time to figure out things through trial and error. Not to mention, anything too alien would not be accepted by the Imperium.

    I found this talk of ‘caseless self propellent projectile’ was never heard of by me. So I did some research.

    “Bolter ammunition (a bolt) is primarily a solid slug. Conventional solid slugs utilize a propellant charge contained in a casing that, when ignited, forces the bullet out of the barrel. In contrast, a bolt is self-propelled; it features its own integrated solid propellant which propels the bolt at high speeds, essentially acting like a miniature rocket. The propellant itself is shaped to control the bolt's direction and speed; however, this method of rocket propulsion would normally warp the barrel due to gas pressure. The Bolter uses an ingenious method to prevent this.

    As well as the rocket propellant, a tiny amount of conventional charge is also utilized. This charge is just strong enough to force the bolt out of the barrel and ignite the bolt's propellant. The rocket-propellant is carefully fused to ignite just after leaving the barrel, alleviating any possibility of pressure build-up. The bolt then accelerates away towards the target under its own power.”

    The Emperor Protects
    Iron Father Buddha
    re the chainsword yep i'd go along with that in principle however there is the "if it can go wrong it will go wrong" factor or as its more commonly know as "shit happens" applying a little fore thought and having a back up is the thing

    the bolter ammo (nice find by the by) seems a little more complicated than it needs to be, whats wrong with normal bullits

    the emperor protects
    but having a loaded weapon helps.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

    cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

    on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive


  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
    Something that's been bothering me is the bolt in the Bolter, the hunk of metal that's supposed to move around inside the end of the barrel and is the thing that makes the gun you know, work... Now, I'm no gun nut but in my world that should be at least roughly aligned with the barrel...

    true also, the cocking handles are a bit off center they would have to be fixed to the top of the breech block. also im presuming they are gas operated the piston and return spring for pushing the breech block back would pass through the ejector port. the barrel isnt exactly condusive to accuracy either, 4"-5" long (not counting the muzzle/flash hider)
    Last edited by cassar; 12-27-2010 at 02:15 PM.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

    cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

    on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive


  19. #19

    Default

    Iv thought of another, i read somewhere that you can recharge a las gun pack by chucking it into a fire? I threw a car battery into a fire when i was a kid. The result was interesting.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Master of fact View Post
    Iv thought of another, i read somewhere that you can recharge a las gun pack by chucking it into a fire? I threw a car battery into a fire when i was a kid. The result was interesting.
    yep thats in the imperial infantrymans uplifting primer. and definately a bad idea
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

    cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

    on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Privacy Policy  |   Terms and Conditions  |   Contact Us  |   The Legion


Copyright © 2001-2018 CMON Inc.

-->