What is "TASER" an abreviation for?

Quote Originally Posted by Torn blue sky View Post
    This is just asking for trouble lol!
    Thomas A. Swift Electric Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn R. L. View Post
    Originally Posted by Dedwrekka
    What is "TASER" an abreviation for?

Thomas A. Swift Electric Rifle
    Aye, from a sci-fi novel of the early 1900s as well right?
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
    Aye, from a sci-fi novel of the early 1900s as well right?
    Correct and correct. The Electric Rifle was something like a long barreled phaser, it could stun, kill, and do a number of other odd things.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Bunting View Post
    @Matt Steampunk is essentially an alternate world where the aesthetics and technologies of the Victorian era in particular are still used. Think Jules Verne and H.G. Welles. From there you can take it into various different areas. it ranges from the almost entirely Victorian with a little bit of fancifulness (the lates version of Sherlock Holmes, for example), to the punk stylings. There's some really great stuff out there.
    Oh I completely agree. I meant to say that while I like some steampunk, I don't like the stuff that's taken way over the top, or is given no mechanical thought other than "more gears is better". I realize its essentially fantasy so there's a lot of room left open to interperetation... I just think there should be more thought into sculpts/drawings, etc. The Victorians were quite skilled at making things, yet most steampunk stuff looks like it belongs in a Skaven workshop.

I think this steampunk keyboard is way cool:

Here's some examples of the stuff that ruins steampunk for me.

Notice gears, nuts and bolts just glued everywhere imaginable on that flash drive. Madness, I tell you!

If you want some more examples, just search "steampunk" on ETSY. That's where I found that silly flash drive

-Matt
    Last edited by mattsterbenz; 01-01-2011 at 09:02 AM.
    My website: www.msterbenz.com
    My ETSY shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/mattsterbenz
    My miniature painting blog: http://mattsterbenz.blogspot.com/
    My oil painting blog: http://msterbenz.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattsterbenz View Post
    Oh I completely agree. I meant to say that while I like some steampunk, I don't like the stuff that's taken way over the top, or is given no mechanical thought other than "more gears is better". I realize its essentially fantasy so there's a lot of room left open to interperetation... I just think there should be more thought into sculpts/drawings, etc. The Victorians were quite skilled at making things, yet most steampunk stuff looks like it belongs in a Skaven workshop.

I think this steampunk keyboard is way cool:
    Certainly looks like it'd be easier to keep the keyboard clean.

I think the Steampunk ctberware and flash driver are further into the "punk" side. Doing it to be different rather than keeping with the style.

I have seen a very good steampunk-ish fobwatch/flashdrive before. I'll have to see if I can find it again.

The headware is not too bad, could do with a couple less things on it, but I do agree about the flash drive. Seen the keyboard before. I think it's one by some guy who's done laptops and is currently steapunking a 1930s car.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Bunting View Post
    The headware is not too bad, could do with a couple less things on it, but I do agree about the flash drive. Seen the keyboard before. I think it's one by some guy who's done laptops and is currently steapunking a 1930s car.
    Found that.

Here's a tutorial of how the keyboard was done
    http://steampunkworkshop.com/keyboard.shtml

And here is his totally rad steampunk car!
    http://steampunkworkshop.com/steampu...ooled-vw-motor
    From 1978 VW bettle to knock-off Rolls Royce

power swords/fists/weapons if a power weaopons used against another power weapon then correct me if im wrong they just bounce off each other however if you use a power weapon on lets say a tank it will quite easily slice through it......why not have a power field generated around your armour as well as the weapon thus making the suit impervious to attack???? they can obviousley make the powerfield generators smal enought o fit in a sword handle so why not?

oh and why arent there landmines in the 40k universe, the ancient chines had them and its not as if the technology to produce em is from some long lost stc.its like someones said you can all go to war but your only allowed this this oh and that and nothing else.......oh erm yep space U N doh!
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Quote Originally Posted by cassar View Post
    power swords/fists/weapons if a power weaopons used against another power weapon then correct me if im wrong they just bounce off each other however if you use a power weapon on lets say a tank it will quite easily slice through it......why not have a power field generated around your armour as well as the weapon thus making the suit impervious to attack???? they can obviousley make the powerfield generators smal enought o fit in a sword handle so why not?
    Pretty much all of the remaining "power" weapons are either incredibly ancient relics, gifts from gods, or made by a specific craftsman and not asembly line make.

oh and why arent there landmines in the 40k universe, the ancient chines had them and its not as if the technology to produce em is from some long lost stc.its like someones said you can all go to war but your only allowed this this oh and that and nothing else.......oh erm yep space U N doh!
    There are landmines. There's even a landmine laying option for the Space Marine Whirlwind tank in addition to the environmental minefields that can appear in scenarios as terrain.

mmm na im not conviced they seem to be ten a penny and if craftsmen can make em then why not a full body power field void shields etc they build new ships they need shields so the techs there

a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.

mmm na im not conviced they seem to be ten a penny and if craftsmen can make em then why not a full body power field void shields etc they build new ships they need shields so the techs there
    1) Because any completely enveloping system large enough to house a Space Marine would require a prodigious amount of power output.
    2) A continuous shield would prevent necessary oxygen from entering outside the shield. The Marine could die from Carbon Dioxide poisoning, or maybe a lack of oxygen could cause metabolic collapse. According to fluff they can survive long periods without oxygen, but they can't really do anything while oxygen deprived. An immobile soldier is a dead soldier.
    3) A Flickering shield would more than likely be a technological nightmare to maintain for the duration of a campaign. Thus you're stuck with a continuous shield. Refer to 2.
    4) Force shields do exist (look at the Eldar) but they are limited in their scope and deployment. I'd say they're expensive if only elite Eldar can manage to wear them.
    5) A power shield is going to create how much force? How many Pounds per Square Inch? Versus a honed edge force field generated by a Power Sword? It might be useful for deflecting attacks, but not stopping them. Anything a force field is going to be able to deflect could be deflected by the Power Armor they are mobilized in. A force field wouldn't stop an HE Rocket. It might deflect a glancing strike, but then again so might those giant shoulder plates.
    6) You need a reason for Space Marines to be even more beardy? Look out, It's the Chapter Beardy Bullies!
    7) It's possible that Frank Herbert may have already answered this hypothetical geek challenge, what with laser weaponry combined with force projection shields causing nuclear level disaster.

I'm glad they avoided using to many energy based weapons against energy based armor. You want to answer a tough one? Why the hell do two lightsabers clash together?
    Last edited by IdofEntity; 01-12-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Because George Lucas shits on Physics
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

well you do have power armour...

i imagine the whole point of having major shielding is cost. cheaper to train a new soldier than to protect a current one. you can get personal void shields (the type titans use) but they cost half a small planet to get hold of
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

dont the some of inquisition have an implanted piece of tech that instantly teleports them a short distance from the immediate danger i.e bolter shells las beems etc yet the systems in some of the ships are huge half the ship nearly. all seems a litttttttle bit foggy to me this tech stuff.. more clarity required. lol i know im peeing into the wind

Fully body power field might be possible, though completely worthless. The reason is that the field around a powerfist or powersword disasembles matter at the atomic level. I'd imagine someone in a fully body powerfield taking a step (or standing still for that matter) and taking a slow plunge into the ground as the atomic bonds are severed in the dirt around their feet.

The point of craftsmen making them is that they're extreemely rare. Each one personally makes one, and probably not more than a few a year if they're trying. However, they are not building for mass production.
    Each Tech Priest capable of making them is something like the most legendary sword makers in history. As in, to get them to make you one, they have to want to make you one.
    They're ten a penny in the game, but in the background they're antiques. Games /= Background.

Iron Halo and belt of russ are both examples of added energy shields to a personal armour, even if they call it "holy auras" Nowadays even the Storm Shield is one rules-wise but the force field is just around the shield then.
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

I think the problem here is everyone is trying to apply logic where logic (or indeed physics) don't apply.

Long ago I read an article that applied physics to science fiction weaponry, from memory one was the rail gun(?) that fired projectiles at or near speed of light, when calculated the bow shock would kill everything (including the firer) in a 5km radius, and another was the manoeuvre of sub light speed spacecraft turning - converting everyone inside into goo smeared over the internal walls by G forces.

Quote Originally Posted by Tercha View Post
    I think the problem here is everyone is trying to apply logic where logic (or indeed physics) don't apply.

Long ago I read an article that applied physics to science fiction weaponry, from memory one was the rail gun(?) that fired projectiles at or near speed of light, when calculated the bow shock would kill everything (including the firer) in a 5km radius, and another was the manoeuvre of sub light speed spacecraft turning - converting everyone inside into goo smeared over the internal walls by G forces.
    well, science has come a long way, we are already having a rail gun, though not one that fires at light speed and most of those ”no explosions in space”-articles seem to miss taking a few things into account, for one, a space ship with the tech to implement artificial gravity in a space where there is no up, down, north or south will most likely be able to adjust for a little movement, it is more likely that you wouldn't even feel it move at all. Oh, and there are explosions in space, there is a shitload of oxygen on a spaceship that can burn, and in an otherwise complete vacuum, that explosion is bound to be huge.

The implication was the rail gun was on the surface (of a moon?) not that there is any known material that would accelerate to near speed of light over the length of a reasonable weapons length, but the effect if it were possible would kill everyone around and then the projectile go on to the target and indeed destroy it (even with a mass of grams the kinetic energy of a near light speed impact would vaporise the target oxygen or no oxygen), and of course the target would have to either be coming towards you or a deflection shot if it too were capable of near light speed....then the impossibility of actually targeting something coming towards you at near light speed means you would only know about it after it had passed you then it would be impossible to fire anything that could catch it before everyone on board died of old age.

Having artificial gravity wouldn't change the laws of motion would they? if you are travelling at near light speed with or without artificial gravity and the ship makes a 1' course correction, the inertia acting on your mass will cause you carry on straight and splat you against the inside walls or the ceiling / floor (1st law of motion).

Quote Originally Posted by Tercha View Post
    Indeed:
    Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    ...you're applying logic and reasoning to something where it actually won't hold up to that kind of scrutiny.

Quote Originally Posted by IdofEntity View Post
    1) Because any completely enveloping system large enough to house a Space Marine would require a prodigious amount of power output.
    It's the faaaaar future, my question would be why aren't there near-unlimited power supplies, at a small scale? Makes as much sense as a lot of the other ridiculous crap in the universe.

2) A continuous shield would prevent necessary oxygen from entering outside the shield.
    SF writers have come up with various wrinkles on the idea of a shield that limits high-speed projectiles but provides no barriers to lower-speed penetration (e.g. "The slow blade penetrates the shield.") So air would continuously exchange across the barrier while providing projectile defence.

3) A Flickering shield would more than likely be a technological nightmare to maintain for the duration of a campaign. Thus you're stuck with a continuous shield. Refer to 2.
    Only if you decide that's the way it has to be. In our imaginary future it could be just as easy to make as one that runs continuously.

How about one that only flicks into life when high-energy particles that will intersect the space of the wearer are detected (Haldeman?), or one that angles the shield to deflect the projectile back towards the firer (Banks), or one that forms a shield that encloses the incoming projectile (Einion)?

If you're going to invent things you might as well make it really interesting instead of some hackneyed stuff we've seen in cartoons or comic books for the last 40 years.

A force field wouldn't stop an HE Rocket.
    Why not? Because you decide that it won't. Why? Because you decide that it can. The decisions are entirely arbitrary and down to considerations in addition to merely what makes sense on an individual level.

You want to answer a tough one? Why the hell do two lightsabers clash together?
    You want a tough one, in personal combat why don't Space Marines use even rudimentary tactics that an experienced FPS shooter without pube one can develop by himself playing in his bedroom?!

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    i imagine the whole point of having major shielding is cost. cheaper to train a new soldier than to protect a current one.
    Cheaper to educate, feed and house from birth, as well as the cost of his training and the armour/equipment he's carrying (which there's some assurance will be lost to you, or at least uneconomical to repair)?

Einion

one thing that there is no defence against in any universe...the einion multi quote lol.. shields are down