Atgill's Workbench - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Atgill's Workbench

Hello!

It's been a long time since my last post. I got a full-time job as a video games illustrator, that kept me busy the last months. But I'll try to keep this thread updated from now on.

Kratos is already dressed up

And started working on Khorne´s wings. I first make the structure ,with aluminium wire in this case. Then attach it to the figure to adjust the position.

The next step consists on shape-cutting an aluminium sheet, roll its edges over the wire and fix the wires with small amounts of cyanoacrilate (super glue). I made the membrane texture pressing the sheet with a round tip modeling tool, like a brush. This must be done over a soft surface, like cork. The thickness of the foil I use is between the cooking foil (too thin) and the one you can get from a soda can.

And, finally, some progress in the head:
    Last edited by atgill; 09-03-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Using foil - what an interesting idea! And one that appears to work brilliantly.

Cheers!
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Awesome sculpting, all of these would sell if they were cast, too bad about the legalities! And congrats on the game illustrator job, that would be awesome as well!

Your sculptings really look great.
    And the demon... just amazing. I like his pose, looks very dynamic. Would be great to use him for a duel.

Very nice work indeed... Love the work you did on the space marines...

Thank you, very much.

Today, a small update on Khorne's armour.

To do this, I used pure green stuff for many reasons: It's great for small details like teeth, suits well with organic shapes like the daemonic faces, and dries slower than the mixture I use mostly (that means, more time to work)

I'm also working on a Classic Emperor conversion:

As before, pure epoxy for basic volumes (shoulder pads and right foot), 70/30 mixture for modeling and filing, and pure greenstuff for small details and organic lines like the hair.

Incredible:O I'd like one
    Quote Originally Posted by uberdark View Post
    i prefer to get two miniatures and rub them around on my gaming bobos.
    Totally going for #1 -->

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Now that is a perfect representation of the most evil being in the 40K universe...

... and the Bloodthirster looks awesome as well!

that Emperor is Ace. I totally want those shoulder pads!

Tee
    “We do not want to be part of the fashionable crowd. We prefer to be on the edge.”
    Takasi Uno

Lost in the desert ChemicalFencer's Avatar

Hi,

I can't believe I've not been keeping an eye on this thread. Your stuff is amazing. Mephiston and 'the greek' are excellent.

I'm also love the Emperor you have done - similar to the one Mike McVey did for his diorama - saw in person it in Warhammer World in Feb. Are you planning to do something along the same line?

CF

@CF: yes, the images I'm using as reference are the illustrations depicting the duel against Horus. I've seen that amazing diorama, and it seems that my client also likes it. His idea is go for the same "old-school" line. But he only asked for the Emperor, not the entire scene. Speaking of wich:

Almost done! I removed the skulls in the chest and right forearm, then sculpted the eagles. Notice my laziness in the breastplate: I kept the plastic wings and made only the eagle's torso.
    What else?... purity seals and roman-style kilt are also made of aluminium foil. The claw and the stair are plasticard, and the cape is a combination of the mixture with epoxi (wich can be filed and sanded) and pure green stuff for the fur.

The Bloodthirster here has the backside of its belt and leg straps now. Also the hair crest is partially done. In its ankles I added two basic conic-shaped volumes; they'll later be the sitting to attach the blades coming out of there.

And, finally, I rushed a little bit to finish the greek, and came to this. Not happy with the result, the trapezius seems small now, the position of the shoulders looks unnatural, and the blades are too thin.
    This means that the commission is not finished yet, and I'll have to rebuild some areas.
    But this happens to me every so often: I have to just make the sculpture or the part, and once it is done is when I can understand its logic, and sometimes detect an error and correct it. It's weird, and hard to describe (even harder in english), but that's another reason I'm writing all this stuff: Trying to put some words to this tiny misteries.

very nice work. I really like all of them. Looking forward to more.
    Now available for commissions.
    My Blog
    My Gallery

Pretty awesome sculpting!
    "All in the game yo, all in the game."

As said before, the Khorne and Nurgle Demons are part of a commission consisting of the four Great Daemos of Chaos.
    I began working on these that were going to be a full sculpt, because it demands more time and effort. The rest of them would be converted from the original miniatures.
    So, at this time, I started the other two: the ones for Tzeentch and Slaanesh.
    My client's initial idea was to reproduce the Forgeworld's characters in GW scale, but after some mails and exchanging some ideas, he decided to go for a different rendition for the Keeper of Secrets, based on an illustration.

Then, the first step was getting the mini, deciding wich components were useful, and cutting, drilling and pinning to adjust the pose:

I can't find the reference illustration right now , but it´s a beefier (?) version, meant to be standing on a rock, like a cliff. For this stage of the process, I only focused on the posture and added some basic volumes to get the idea.

And for Tzeentch, the commissioner was very specific about reproducing as far as possible the FW character.
    Its wings are longer and tending to be more vertical and straight. Legs are also longer, the position of the head and left arm...etc. Lots of cutting, drilling and pinning too!

Most of it done with 1mm wire, because most of the pieces are not too thick (legs, wings). The structure for the staff is a 2mm aluminium wire.
    One problem I had here is that the composition is very heavy, and stands on three thin points (the legs and the staff). To make it as strong as possible, I used solid 3mm plasticard to make the base. This gave me some thickness to drill passing holes and fix the pins to it with superglue. Of course the staff helps a lot balancing the figure.

And, the last one today:

It's some kind of...zombie minotaur? I don't know, maybe for Nurgle, the Undead...a very versatile creature. Made of some spare pieces I had. Every once in a while I like to think how to match components left over from another conversions. It's fun, and sometimes you get to ideas, triggered by these pieces, you wouldn't normally think.
    Try!

Last edited by atgill; 09-03-2012 at 09:39 PM.

atgill

Your work is amazing!
    Can't wait to see how they all come out.

Tee
    “We do not want to be part of the fashionable crowd. We prefer to be on the edge.”
    Takasi Uno

Today, some step-by-step pictures on the Bloodthirster armour.
    As many of you already know, greenstuff isn´t very helpful when you have to do hard edged shapes.
    I found out that mixing it with epoxi not only improves its properties to model non-organic shapes, but also allows you to easily file and sand it once cured.
    So, to make the shoulder and breastplates, I first made a 3mm layer of green-epoxi mixture, extending it with a pen, like a rolling pin. Left it curing for 20 minutes, and then cutted the plates with a scissor, and applied them to the body:

I pressed the breastplates with a modelling tool so they stretch (?) to the body, and left the shoulderpad almost untouched to remove it later. By making this, I could file it separately, and work on the outer surface and edges.
    I also filed the breastplates, but only their front surface, as they were attached to the main body.

Once the filing was done, I modeled the face, teeth and rivets over the shoulderplate. I used pure greenstuff for the teeth because it tends to be flexible when cured, reducing fragility of small or thin elements.
    Same logic for the axe; the pointy teeth could be done with metal structure to be resistant, or with greenstuff to be flexible. Otherwise, they´ll eventually fracture.
    And the axe is made out of the very same wire coming out of the figure´s structure. I bent it and modeled the hand over it. This means, the handle and the arm are one piece, very resistant.

And finally, some advances on the Keeper of Secrets:

Not much more to say...the tiny tentacles coming out of the cheeks and hands are pure green stuff for the same reasons explained before. Its wrists seemed disproportionate small to the claws, so I modeled a crab-like caparace over them. This also adds a sense of strenght to the whole composition.
    Last edited by atgill; 09-03-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Default Growing Demons

Hello!

Today I'd like to show you some updated pictures of the Chaos Demons.

Some metalworking for the Bloodthirster. I cut three blades out of 1mm aluminium plate, with a jewelry saw. Then sharpened edges with a small file.
    Two blades were attached to its heels, and the third to the shoulderpad.
    I also began to build the whip, using 2mm round bronze wire. The rest of this stage was greenstuff, to complete the breastplate and make some belts in the right arm and shoulder.

As to Tzeentch, It already had the right posture, therefore I "only" had to model details covering the structure. This "only" took me several hours, mostly watching and studying the FW one, and trying to achieve a synthesis, due the scale reduction. Both me and my client liked the result.

And the Keeper of Secrets has its head already!

Last edited by atgill; 09-03-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Blown away to see such lovely sculpting in stage by stage pics. Great work!!

Cheers
    Will
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

This is just amazing. I stand and applause you, dear sir!
    "Without music life would be a mistake. I could only believe in a god who knew how to dance."

Just need to get a hold of a decent camera and there will be a thread. Presumably.