Atgill's Workbench - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Atgill's Workbench

Thank you guys!

Today, I want to add some colour to this thread. Enough green. I finished the Kratos and Emperor commissions, and would like to share them with you all:

Voting link

Voting link

Althought I love and enjoy painting, I've been told in many opportunities that my skills with the brush do not match what I can do sculpting or converting (?)
    I must say that I do feel a little more comfortable and satisfied working on a mini before basecoating it.
    But I'm also trying to improve my painting quality, practicing everytime and trying different techniques and styles to find my own.
    Speaking of wich, this is the Mephiston conversion previously shown:

I'm going for a variant in the colour scheme, using less yellows to give it a more vampiresque look. What do you think? Criticism and feedback are welcome!
    Last edited by atgill; 05-09-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Well, you painting is looking very good so far and that Mephiston looks really good. Very dramatic.
    I'm not a big fan of the original Mephiston model but this one's very dynamic. A darker, brooding colour scheme will suit it nicely.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

That Meph is amazing. I sculpted my own roughly based on that same photo, but it hasn't come out nearly as nice as yours.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Extremely nice stuff. That meph is spectacular.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Thanks guys, try to stay in shape. Now quit it, you're making me blush.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Quick update today!

The Bloodthirster is nearly finished. I´ve been working mainly on its left arm and hand:

Yes, I used a real jewelry chain. Is faster, cheaper and looks infinitely better than one sculpted by me. Also made the skull on its right poleyn. No arrows to the knee for him.

While I was modeling the wings, my client asked me to perform a little change in the membranes. He likes what I've done with the foil, but the ForgeWorld wings show a different texture. So, we agreed to keep the thin-membrane-like texture in the inner side of the wings, and leave the scarred, ripped one for the outside. I don't know if this makes any sense, I've done some research and many animals tend to have scales and hard stuff in their most exposed areas. Anyway, it's fantasy!

And the Keeper of Secrets is finished!!!

I just attached the head and pinned the legs in a resin basing stone. Its inclination balances the figure and seems consistent with the scene illlustrations that my client sent me.

Two quick questions -

1. Where did you get the chain?
    2. How do you keep it from shifting around?
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

@Trystan:

1. I got the chain at a bijouterie (?) store. Any place that sells components to make necklaces, bracelets and that kind of stuff should have some chain like the one I used. That one is nickeled-copper. Otherwise, the chains of that size are usually copper or brass made.
    2. I glued the first link to the figure´s wrist. Then wrapped the remaining chain around and added very small drops of cyanoacrylate (superglue, I guess?) in between the links. That keeps it in position for handling and painting.

Well, the result in combinations with your awesome sculpts looks amazing.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Quote Originally Posted by atgill View Post
    @Trystan:

1. I got the chain at a bijouterie (?) store. Any place that sells components to make necklaces, bracelets and that kind of stuff should have some chain like the one I used. That one is nickeled-copper. Otherwise, the chains of that size are usually copper or brass made.
    2. I glued the first link to the figure´s wrist. Then wrapped the remaining chain around and added very small drops of cyanoacrylate (superglue, I guess?) in between the links. That keeps it in position for handling and painting.
    Good to know. I was curious how you kept the chain from moving around without burying it in glue. Thanks!
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Default Bloodthirster...DONE!

So, after a few days, I managed to assemble and finish this commission. Or the sculpting part, at least.

I guess there's always something to be improved, some area or part that could have been done better. As this is a commission, and both me and my client are satisfied with the result, is time to move to the next stage and paint it!

Wow! Bloodthirster looks brilliant! And It's good to see some of your other projects getting some paint too. Great work.

Very impressive. Nice detailed explanation too. Thank you very much, keep em coming.

LinZ

Some very nice sculpting here - keep it up and happy painting!
    " This site is cake, the scoring is icing. Scrape it off if you don't like it, the cake is still delicious!! " - Supervike

My Website - http://www.miniature-studio.com/

Damn, that's a nice sculpt. Great work mate.
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Thank you, very very much.

Last week my Mini-Great Demon of Nurgle was featured in the Top Week section. It got loads of pageviews and comments, and I got and idea of how big this site became for some time now.

@Linz: I'm glad you found the explanation nice, despite of my strange english.

So, without further ado, there was only one Chaos Demon missing to complete the commission. Here it is:

I initially thought this one would be easier to do, since it is a conversion and not a full sculpt. I found out that sometimes it´s harder to deal with a previous sculpt and try to modify it, than to build one from zero.

As before, the client was happy at this point. And i couldn´t help but take a picture of the four greens, together:

voting link

Nice, isn´t it? But it´s not finished, I still have to paint them :-o

Update time!

Basecoated all the figures.

As you may realise, I used black for the bloodthirster only, due the dark colour scheme asked by the commissioner. I'm not sure about how the red skin will turn out with a black foundation, maybe I should apply a white base before.

Later!

Red over black works just fine, I do it all the time. ^^ And the sculpts are looking amazing with a lick of paint on, very slick & tight!
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project

Small update;

started painting bronze on the Bloodthirster's armour. Since I use a local brand of acrylics (Teniers) it's hard to explain wich exact colours I used. At least by their commercial names.
    When I first tried to paint gold NMM, I found a great article with a very detailed explanation...except for the names of the colours. I had to figure out by myself wich colour was each. It wasn't difficult, and that was one way of how I began to train my eyes to recognize the composition of a colour, I think.

This time I tried something I've readed about, painting with metallics but with a similar technique to NMM. So, I began with a dark, greenish brown, and added small amounts of gold in each layer; finishing with gold + silver in the sharp, outer edges. Since I often feel that bronze and gold are easily misplaced when painting, I used a real bronze piece I have as a reference to match the colour and the patina effect.

Just awesome, from the sculpt to paint!
    Currently accepting small commissions
    Now on GTalk: Exiledminiatures@gmail.com
    I tweet daily! https://twitter.com/ExiledMiniature