NMM Sanguinor.. help?

Thread: NMM Sanguinor.. help?

Default NMM Sanguinor.. help?

Hey guys,

I know you've probably seen many many nmm sanguinors... but i started this project when it came out too! i just took a brief hiatus, and decided to start this model again.

I have done NMM before. but i can honestly say this is my first "LEGIT" attempt. I was going for a very high contrast kinda idea. but i would like some some CC. I have no idea what to do about the chest, i've tried doing "glare" spots, but they come out horrible looking. And this is also one of the first times i've done straight on highlighting with thickish paint. For the white i mean. As if you thin it down.. it get grainy... so it has to be put on thicker.. than other paint. to get a solid line. and it freaks the hell out of me, cause some parts i spent ages blending!

Any help on where to place highlight, or what to do with the chest would be most welcome and appreciated!!!! and any feedback on how i'm doing so far would be good tooooo, or how to keep improving!!!

Thanks guys!!
    Gary

Blog Entries

I'm starting to realise dark [black/dark brown] is minimal and there's more "middle tone bits". Also checking out Matts walkthough in Painting and conversions is most useful. Basically putting dark and light where you want them and blocking in parts till it looks about right then blending them all together.
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

Well freak, i'm glad you think i'll miraculously pull of Darrens piece :P but i'm pretty sure i'm nowhere near that :P My main problem with the guy is doing glare spots, i have no idea how to do that, and i've tried alot :P Although i use this and his other piece as a sort of "reference" and this piece is phenomenol. thanks again.

And yes, matts thread is most excellent! i want to try it out, but i'm not sure if i shuold just start from scratch on this guy, or just tweak it as he is.

hmm, thanks for everything guys.

Hmm by no means a expert painter here but from what I understand gold never reflects pure white so dont use that. Other than that I would say that it is too dark overall and I would have started with a lighter base colour. Not sure what recipe you are using but most of the areas should be snakebite leather or brighter. Not sure if that helps but just my observations.

Edit: glare spot are probably an off white like bleached bone with maybe a bit of white mixed in.
    Now available for commissions.
    My Blog
    My Gallery

Like TBS said the dark and even the most bright are minimal, it's the mid tones that make the effect truely fly.

If your open to trying oils, I've found them much more complient than acrylics for blending nmm, I know it's not gold or a massive area but as an example this is what I did in less than 10mins both sides, going to take 24hr to fully dry but I can come back and adjust with fresh eyes later if I feel it needs it. With glare spots I tried on sigvalds shield, I did as normal then feathered a small dot of white into the surrounding area and the transition was very clean without hours of fiddling around with acrylics, just a thought anyway.

Hmm, well thanks again guys, maybe i'll just rebasecoat and try again :P keeping the shadows to a minimum. i'll post pictures of the basecoat and update you every step of the way, and hopefully with your gys insight it will come out decent :P

Blog Entries

I'll be watching with keen interest lol! Still trying to figure it out myself
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

Alright.. sooo

Bascoated with snakebite leather

I decided to do highlights first this time, maybe this way it'll make it brighter as opposed to darker :P

First highlight - added some bubonic brown to the base

added some more bubonic brown

and then i added some bleached bone

Where do you guys think i should go from here? anything i should fix? Note that i'm only working on the legs, and torso.

thanks guys!

Gary.

I think it looks much better already. I would do the shadows now, just so you know where you stand with the highlights. All the highlights seems to be well places but I might add a little more of the current highlight on the tops of the boobs as per darren's version. Anyway I think it look much better than the original already.
    My Blog
    My Gallery

Blog Entries

Yeah that's already looking bang on target! Great job with placement, that's the hardest part by far. Maybe try ecking out the hilights and shadows in equal measures to keep the balance?

Alright, sooo more..

Terracotta shade:

Dark Flesh:

alright..

I didn't want to start adding black, until i got some feedback, where do you guys think the black should go? and white..... i didn't use either of those...

I would swap out the black for scorched brown and then put very thin lines of it just about everywhere there needs to be separation, so: Under the boobs, between all the fiddly things under his boobs, in between all the ab bits. If you reference Darrens piece above, he uses it alot in the deeper area such as the ones I mentioned. I think if you do that it will make all the current colours pop.
    My Blog
    My Gallery