How much overtime would you do? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much overtime would you do?

as little as i need to. i work for the nhs so there is never a 'job don' element. always plenty more waiting
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Blog Entries

I worked overtime when needed, with the MoD it was pretty much a 12hrs-5days a week standard. Weekends are mine boy! Pulled far more hours on the odd occasion though working for them, the military doesn't sleep y'see. Not including being actually in the forces...Then you just do what you're told really so it doesn't count.
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

If I could get overtime I'd be happier about working 14hr shifts 5-6 days a week for weeks on end. Stupid salary job.

I've done some 1:30am finishes when the project demanded it, but not anything that bad for some years.
    I usually do an extra 30mins a day, but at the moment, it's between 1 and 2 hours extra. I'm starting at 8am and leaving around 6:30pm. I make sure to take my full lunch hour these days.
    Now I'm cooking all the meals as well I find I have about 1.5 -2hrs free time in an evening, as I have to try to get a full night's sleep.
    Win a copy of WAB 2 in the Irregular Magazine painting competition. Click for more info
    Issue 6 / Autumn '10 out now, includes interview with Nick Kyme and a tutorial from Mr Scream!

It's actually quite nice to go through this thread and see that a lot of other folks aren't also keen on OT. I can't speak for others, but in my previous workplace in Singapore, not putting in any OT netted you a lot of dirty looks and the occasional reprimand (yes, reprimand) from managers, since they seemed to think that you're letting the team down by not doing OT - and this is despite constantly achieving project goals and delivering on time.

Thankfully, this attitude is much less prevalent in my current workplace. But I'm still expected to put in OT as the projects demand it - which is fair, methinks.

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

Must add a bit to this to clarify my position. If I could afford not doing OT I'd be more than happy not to do it and I can GET BY on my regular pay. But the OT allows me to actually have a half-way good quality of life most of the time. Also, unlike the past years, I now work from home and I'm finding the OT MUCH easier this year because I can nap at lunch and I'm in relaxed surroundings where everyone else around me isn't all stressed and complaining about what they do.

You see, I and everyone in my department take escalated calls for a major hotel chain. We also answer questions for new agents who are getting used to our booking systems and policies. It can be a pretty high stress job but I find working from home allows me to de-stress much faster. It helps not hearing other people complain about how stupid thier calls are. I deal with mine, tell Donna a few things and then go on to the next. As soon as I get set up I'll be able to paint while I work too!
    We done done it now. We're finally hitched. We are now the dreaded two headed Roger - Liz - Bunting monster you have all feared.

deeeeep in woods in gulf coastal mississippi usa
    Blog Entries

the shipyard contract specifies only 40 hours a week, except for maintenance and sea trial support. next week is our only sea trial for the year- i can finally stay in my own homw for a change, and maybe get some painting done. so, no more overtime for me.

Quote Originally Posted by lizcam View Post
    Must add a bit to this to clarify my position. If I could afford not doing OT I'd be more than happy not to do it and I can GET BY on my regular pay. But the OT allows me to actually have a half-way good quality of life most of the time.
    exactly the same position i am in. i can get by on basic but ot (or in my case, on call) lets me live!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Blog Entries

I guess in someways I do OT since Japan always manages to milk an extra hour out of you; I work 8:30 to 5:30 since breaks aren't considered working time (to qualify for insurance at least).

I set my stall out early on in my current job, If the job has to be done(or it will still be there for me next day)I will stay. Otherwise work only gets me for 40 hours a week the rest is mine and my family's. Since moving to nights I have done zero overtime mainly because I say no every time asked but also I am more expensive to get in that the day staff so they get asked first.
    Come join the Fun

OT isn't currently offered to me right now, but it looms on the horizon. Salaried, so technically I don't get paid for any extra hours during the day, what they call "casual overtime", but if the OT exceeds a certain amount, I do get paid for it.

Do I like doing OT? No, not really. I'd rather be at home with the family. Even if I got paid for every minute of it at double pay, I still don't think I'd like to do it.

But, when crunch time comes, I'll have to be there. I always worry that by the time I get to OT my brain would be so fried that anything I try to develop won't be worth spit and I'll spend the first two hours in the morning fixing what I did in the last thirty minutes the day before. A rested mind is a better mind.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

I avoid it. I make enough money to pay my bills, and have some fun money left over. When I finish beating my credit cards into total submission,
    then I'll be far more than comfortably situated. For my own standards, anyway, which are quite low according to many of my friends.

I do as little as possible. If I must, I must, but life's too short to waste it needlessly on work, in my opinion. Even if I would like my job (which I currently don't, but we'll see on Monday, when I start a new job), I don't think the job is worth sacrifying more of your own time on than what is necessary. Why would I want to stay a few extra hours instead of going home to my girlfriend's loving embrace? If money is the issue, I can understand it, but otherwise... no. I do what I must do, and try to do it at my best, but if the regular eight hours per day isn't enough I think it's time to hire another person.
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

I don't do any overtime! I used to years ago but I realised pretty soon that it doesn't work both ways. All you get is a little extra salary and nothing else. There is no appreciation. My company is going and has been going through a process of redundancies and office closures. They have cut back on staff, staff that used to offer to do overtime to meet deadlines. In a lot of cases these same staff have been made redundant. So that's their thanks for helping out! Now they have less staff they can't cope with the workload, so they are offering overtime to clear the workload which is well behind, while at the same time planning the next redundancies, it doesn't make sense!

Therefore I do not take part out of principle in my work. Often it's like they are papering the cracks with overtime when redundancies have damaged the foundations. Also I think any more than five days work a week at my contracted hours may tip me over the edge, it's stressful enough already!!! I am definitely a work to live kind of guy too!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ritual View Post
    I do as little as possible. If I must, I must, but life's too short to waste it needlessly on work, in my opinion. Even if I would like my job (which I currently don't, but we'll see on Monday, when I start a new job), I don't think the job is worth sacrifying more of your own time on than what is necessary. Why would I want to stay a few extra hours instead of going home to my girlfriend's loving embrace? If money is the issue, I can understand it, but otherwise... no. I do what I must do, and try to do it at my best, but if the regular eight hours per day isn't enough I think it's time to hire another person.
    I generally hold with this. Work to live, don't live to work.
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

Following on from this subject, anyone feel that they do get recognition for doing overtime, especially lots of overtime?

You get sod all appreciation for it in my experience... but plenty of the reverse if want to limit the amount you do or simply refuse.

Einion

Nop not even a thankyou, verbal crucifiction if I refuse, don't care these days it goes over my head I just clock in on time, clock out on the dot, byeeeeeeeeeeeee, let it burn for all I care

While I don't see any OT at the mo anyway, various of our engineers do & the Christmas bonuses of ones who put in the late nights & weekends are bigger than for those who don't. Never got any sense that friends who work for big firms get any recognition for it though.

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    Following on from this subject, anyone feel that they do get recognition for doing overtime, especially lots of overtime?

You get sod all appreciation for it in my experience... but plenty of the reverse if want to limit the amount you do or simply refuse.

Einion
    Actually, I work with some great boss' . Because they know I will do the OT and actually do the work I get to work on special projects a lot. They actually held up a project for 3.5 months while I was having my knee replaced so that I could be part of it. This was a project that saved the company pretty good money. So for me, with the people I curretly work for I feel I do get the recognition.

That being said, in my last position in this company I worked 12-14 hours a day 7 days a week and maybe got 1-2 days off a month to take my then husband to the Dr.'s. I could never take lunches and breaks because they had 3 people doing the work that they have 8 doing right now. I did that for 2 years. I got paid really well but NO recognition. It was also the highest stress job in the company, making what I do now look like a cake walk. I burnt out there and was ridiculed and tagged a slacker when I moved to my current department. Thank god the department head I work with now knew me before I worked in that position and had watched me while I slaved away and knew that once I had recovered from my battle fatigue I'd be an asset in my current department and hired me without a second thought.

It comes down to WHO you work for I think that makes the OT worth it.
    We done done it now. We're finally hitched. We are now the dreaded two headed Roger - Liz - Bunting monster you have all feared.

Is anyone else restricted from performing Overtime?

I work on a government contract which will only pay 8 hours a day of work. Thus my company will not allow me to charge any additional time against the contract, and encourages leaving at exactly 8 hours of work. When I do have to put in 10-12 hours in a day I'm not allowed to collect overtime, and have to take compensatory time in order to balance the sheets.

Next week I will be one of the few exceptions in my company policy since my boss has informed me I can charge overtime because I'll be filline two positions for a time.
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat