Games Workshop Staff Rant - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Games Workshop Staff Rant

Quote Originally Posted by noneedforaname View Post
    meat cake? put me down for two! i dont have a sweet tooth so these would be ideal!
    And you sir are terrible....rofl

Blog Entries

I'd have to concur though, a cake made out of meat would be my idea of a treat. I lead the field in omnicarnivorism.
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

Quote Originally Posted by Torn blue sky View Post
    I'd have to concur though, a cake made out of meat would be my idea of a treat. I lead the field in omnicarnivorism.
    It's called meatloaf, you backward Scot.
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

Well, to chime in I have had really good GW experiences at my store. I go to GW Adelaide and the people there are cool and know my name and what I collect andare chill letting me walk around browsing. I walk in they say hey and then they leave me be until I want to buy stuff, then they ask if I want paint/glue. I never got the sales pitch at GW, probably cause I did some research on the website before I buy stuff and generally know what is going on. Another positive is when they are having a big sales day they give everyone free donuts. Damn, now I want a donut.

I dont really understand all the hate against GW. They seem to be always friendly and chill and happy to help. Sure, they charge 60% more than what I can get stuff for from Maelstrom, but they are happy to help and hook me up with a game. So yeah, it costs more and all but I just like going into town and chilling for a couple of hours, play a game, buy some models and then go. I think that GW just has that great atmosphere in Adelaide that other stores dont have.

In all fairness there have been times when th guy is like "oh this one is really great" repeatedly and kind pushes for that sale, but then I say "Nah, I think I'll just get..." and he eases off. So no qualms. I think they do try quite hard for sales to younger people / parents of kids, but from what I have seen it works like 90% of the time so... good for them.
    http://flagshipfigures.webs.com/ for commission painting

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IdofEntity View Post
    It's called meatloaf, you backward Scot.
    Meatloaf isn't made with the tasty meats though. Something about it just tastes like kibble. I'm talking layered steak with bacon icing and sausage meat filling here!
    I have a cunning plan...So cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a Weasel...

In all honesty is was meant to be a chocolate cake but forgot to get cocoa powder. Used cooking chocolate melted into the cake mix instead and that gave it its unqiue look inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Odo View Post
    I should also mention that GW used to exclusively distribute there own product, so they could keep tabs on what areas are buying GW product. Then, BAM they would stick there own store in the area, and screw over the independent retailers. Predatory pure and simple, yes, I hate the company and actively plot its demise, but, they seem to be imploding, there is a massive talent, or brain, drain right now, so I give them a year before the strain starts to show.
    I don't see how this works. Independent stores are able to sell at lower prices, via discounts, than GW stores, and anyone can buy the stuff stocked at the GW stores online for much much cheaper. There really shouldn't be any reason for the presence of a GW shop to have such a sudden effect on the local stores.
    There's just no real reason to buy at a GW store over an independent or online retailer.

Meatloaf isn't made with the tasty meats though. Something about it just tastes like kibble. I'm talking layered steak with bacon icing and sausage meat filling here!
    yes yes, a thousand times yes. but only if the bacon is rind on and crispy
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

This Turtle Burger made me smile when I saw it the other week, at once very clever & yet...

http://www.collegehumor.com/picture:1944201

...just a bit disturbing! I thought the KFC burger that replaced the bread with chicken breast was extreme but I think this pips it! Get them made with the kids this weekend then amuse yourself as they pass out on the sofa with a severe bout of meat sweats

Cheers, B.

Sorry don't seem to be able to hotlink the pic
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Blog Entries

That's the beauty of it, you can tailor it all to any preference. I might actually attempt to copyright this idea and become rich off it...Personally I believe the rind should always be left on regardless though.

ED:Oh god yes! I've still to eat a double down actually... This is a contender for todays "to do" list.

Quote Originally Posted by toy4x4 View Post
    I prefer the non-GW shops to the official GW ones. They are run by people that either actually own them or more competent people. You may not have an option in your area, but if so, give them a shop. Another advantage of the non-GW ran ones are that they usually carry other stuff. I have one that carries Reaper paints and another that carries Vallejo paints. I don't do GW figures exclusively so the options in paints and other supplies is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedwrekka View Post
    I don't see how this works. Independent stores are able to sell at lower prices, via discounts, than GW stores, and anyone can buy the stuff stocked at the GW stores online for much much cheaper. There really shouldn't be any reason for the presence of a GW shop to have such a sudden effect on the local stores.
    There's just no real reason to buy at a GW store over an independent or online retailer.
    To the first quote, the shops that are Non GW shops down here, carry either airfix planes and tank models or trains or even dolls house things. Terrible. We ned a GW down here.
    To the second one, I mainly go to GW as I want to see what I'm buying and plus I don't normally want to wait upto 3-4 days for the mail...who if the parcel is too big will send it to back to the sorting depot. >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Dedwrekka View Post
    At the time that Games Workshop's expansion was most predatory, Internet retailers weren't as well established.

According to a former hobby shop owner who had experienced such a takeover (note: NOT an unbiased source), Games Workshop first cut off the competing stores' access to the items in greatest demand, instead sending them outdated and unpopular items. If a retailer complained that some of the items sent weren't what they ordered, they were told they had to return the entire order to get a refund. Since some of the items were what the retailer needed, they would often take the order, cluttering their shelves with the unwanted inventory.

When Games Workshop opened their store, they wopuld hold lots of promotional activities, such as painting seminars, contests, tournaments, and giveaways. Since they placed themselves in communities where the local shops depended on GW sales as a major part of their cash flow and they had starved their potential competition of the most-desirable items, their presence tended to finish off other local shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Wulf View Post
    At the time that Games Workshop's expansion was most predatory, Internet retailers weren't as well established.

According to a former hobby shop owner who had experienced such a takeover (note: NOT an unbiased source), Games Workshop first cut off the competing stores' access to the items in greatest demand, instead sending them outdated and unpopular items. If a retailer complained that some of the items sent weren't what they ordered, they were told they had to return the entire order to get a refund. Since some of the items were what the retailer needed, they would often take the order, cluttering their shelves with the unwanted inventory.

When Games Workshop opened their store, they wopuld hold lots of promotional activities, such as painting seminars, contests, tournaments, and giveaways. Since they placed themselves in communities where the local shops depended on GW sales as a major part of their cash flow and they had starved their potential competition of the most-desirable items, their presence tended to finish off other local shops.
    Yes, but the people better placed to hold givaways, seminars, tournaments, and clubs are the local shops, not the GW stores. There are stores around my old area that would take that surplus non-moving product and put it as part of a givaway or tournament prize. They would also offer it on "clearance" and sell it at above the cost to them, but below the cost that GW stores could sell it at. A "30% off!" sticker does wonders to move an otherwise unpopular or slow moving GW product. GW stores also have pretty strict hours, where-as I've attended 24hr gaming sessions at local stores, who make their own hours.

Aside from discounts there's also a wealth of hobby related items that they can sell, but GW stores cant. Tubes of Greenstuff instead of strips, Plasticard, Vallejo and P3 paints, professional style painting guides, other miniature lines, bits services, pre-used armies. By all means even a store that is only barely covering GW products can beat out a GW store with the right combination of product and service. If the local store is nothing but a local store that sells GW products, and not an active place to game and hobby on various levels, they might want to look into more profitable items like scale modeling or custom RC cars for the space used by tables, they bring in a lot of money.

Just read through the whole topic (to relieve the boredom of the task I'm working on at work). I personally can't complain with what technically is my local store (Swindon) and although you do ocassionally get the odd muppet launch themselves on you and start spouting the "So what army do you collect?" play school kick off, it generally isn't too bad and once they pick up that the 31 year old in front of them actually does still have all of the brain power of an average human being and doesn't posses B.O that could floor a Rhino, it's not too bad. I know that in the past when my Mum and Sister have gone in to buy presents for either myself or my brother they've always been impressed by how helpful the staff were. I think I've only really been wound up once by a member of staff in another store who just couldn't get the fact that I only had five minutes to pick something and was just wittering away about twaddle. Mind you I'm always amused when I go into a store with my girlfriend, who actually knows as much about the hobby as I do - the look on the member of staff's face is generally priceless - "but, but, you're a woman and you know all this stuff!" - it's great having a self-confessed geek as a girlfriend

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    yes yes, a thousand times yes. but only if the bacon is rind on and crispy
    Sorry to deviate off topic, but had to add:

Don't use bacon. Use Pancetta that's been simmering in olive oil for 15 minutes.
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

Quote Originally Posted by RuneBrush View Post
    it's great having a self-confessed geek as a girlfriend
    Amen to that!
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

I live down in Dorset with the cider and the combine harvesters yaargh!

Quote Originally Posted by RuneBrush View Post
    it's great having a self-confessed geek as a girlfriend
    can I order one online?

ok im sorry, but this coming from the people who invented haggus, and meat pies. shivers......

and its french fries, not chips.....!!!!!
    Brushlicking is the miniature painting equivalent of a rock'n'roll life-style!

Here is my ranking:

I live down in Dorset with the cider and the combine harvesters yaargh!

I just have to say it's chips, f**k the french

my games workshop nottingham city center is the greatest shop in the world the store is so relaxed and it has a massive welcoming feeling to it and they dont jump on you and try and throw the sale down your throat they leave you only and wait for you yo decide what you want and the manager there is great cause he is really relaxed