WIP: Lemartes & DC
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WIP: Lemartes & DC

Default WIP: Lemartes & DC

I know what you are thinking...'Oh for the love of the Emperor he has started ANOTHER?!' Yeah, it's true haha. Truth is I get fairly excited about things and find myself starting one thing before another is finished. Both a blessing and curse because I don't get bored painting one thing but takes me a while to go back to finishing something.

Anyway, this will be a long time coming to completion this one. I paint for the love of painting so I put a lot of time and effort into my models, and this thread will include some fairly fiddly bits so it will be a while before completion.

The idea is basically I got Lemartes (I LOVE his new sculpt, my current fave mini ever made) and I threw Astoraths jump pack onto him to make a bit more menacing, minor adjustment of the long parchments so they dont form his base. And I plan to build almost like his personal elite DC, just Dc with Sang Guard packs really haha, I just think it will look cool

I have also been informed by my girlfriend she is getting me a Storm Raven So I will be painting this up to match the DC and I'll most definately be doing another DC dread when I have the spare cash. I recently got an airbrush so painting the early phases shoule be pretty easy. I'll be using the LOTD scheme with the very dark Blue/Black as their colour since I think it looks ace. Anyway, Lemmy is the gonna be the first of the lot and here he is so far:

If the printed word was spoken, so much truth would be so broken...

Nice start! I'll be interested to see how that looks when assembled.

Newbie, please be gentle The Silent King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Death Co. Flight Plan

I cannot wait to see your work in progress as I just recieved my Storm Raven and the new Furioso Dreadnought kit in the mail. Having a Baal Predator and an Assault Squad ahead of these projects, I had to use stand-ins for the last game I played. I had to test out this tactic I had planned for the most hated of vermin: Tyranids.

In my last savage game with Tyranids, I did precisely the tactic your gearing up for. A Storm Raven (basic configuration with sponsons) dropped my Lemartes and ten man squad right into the fray. Backup was provided by Megrim, the accompanying black-suited Deadnought featuring twin blood talons glistening with agony. The Storm Raven was more than capable of placing these two deadly units right into the action - and it is ludicris in the fashion that the basic configuration Storm Raven just pisses lead into the enemy lines.

Death Company assaulted that same turn, and it became a one-sided, glorious turn of righteous eradictation. Now, like all flight plans, they are most expensive; this little trick of a tactic was a hair under half my army points costs (after you add in a couple powerfists and inferno pistols). And neither of these units can hold down an objective.

But the way they cut a path right through the enemy was just... heavenly. Gratuitous violence certianly. By the time the Storm Raven's locator beacon brought in my Assault Squad to tie down the objective and the Vanguard Veterans heroically intervened, they were pretty much just clocking in as the mandatory clean-up crews.

Get working on your models, a carnage-injected victory insists on it.
    Xbox LIVE gamertag: Echelon XII
    Blog

I wasn't up for getting into my Veterans...Was feeling waaaay too easy like sunday morning yesterday, so I just focused some attention on Lemmy. still early phases at the moment, but I got into the metallics (gold and silver) and washed...I also based the red areas in Scab Red with a touch of black added. Detail work on this guy isn't far away. anyhoo, pics:

Little more done on the scrolls on his pack. Worked up highlights mixing in Dheneb stone with Khemri brown, up until I was using a 1/1/1 mix of Stone, Bone and White. I didnt want to quite take it up to pure white as it would make the scrolls look brittle. Wanted almost a fiberous/skin like texture.

Then I added the text to the seals and parchments...About 3/1 mix of Black and scorched brown...Just random squiggles, a few rough sketches of Aquilla and BA synbols. I Also added some in red ink with a mix of mechrite and scab red, just to make the colours more interesting. After this was all dry I washed the whole thing with a really, really watered down wash of sepia.

A little more work on this guy...I feel like I am neglecting some of my other projects, but this model is just too damn cool! Mainly worked on the red areas this time, building up the highlights on the purity seals, the bold pistol casing and the straps of his jump pack. Also got the base layers down on his shoulder pads. Enough talk...Pics:

More on Lemmy. He is really coming together in my eye now :lol: Very pleased with how is coming. Since the last pics I have tidies up his armour with a flat coat of Chaos Black, coving over any parts I skipped over and really made sure to get into all the gaps...I did do this once before but obviously I was not as thorough as I thought. I have also taken the red up a few layers bringing up to about Blood Red. I tried something new on this model too, since I wanna make him really POP, I tried something with his jump pack, making it look like it is full of what ever it is that powers the marines into the air. The blue glow similar to plasma guns etc. I sae this on a marine by Pig of Sparta on these boards and thought I MUST try it! What do you think of the effect?

Coming on nicely there! I really like the jump pack glow. I'll be nicking that for my commander Dante

Spent today working on all the bone areas on Lemmy...Man there is lots! Still going with the LOTD masterclass and it looks interesting to me...at least while my eyes are still messed up from too long painting haha. Anyway, pics:

He is getting close! I have spent my last couple of painting sessions getting around the little details on this dude. Highlighting the golds and reds, tidying up little bits like the rubber parts between the armour, the eyes and gems are coming along quite nicely, so I should be able to hit highlighting the armour plates pretty soon. I have a few little chips to take care of but nothing major as far as I can make out. C&C welcome!

HI guys and gals, been a little while since the last update. That is mainly because I am at the stage of highlighting, which is usually right about when I $%&" up a model! So basically I was dreading it. Really done the first highlight on the black using fortress grey and it is around this stage the blue tint starts to become noticeable. Now back when I was still painting I never used to highlight so this is a bit of learning for me really. I don't think it's too bad at the moment, but will need some tidying up. Some other little bits to work on too such as take the gems up to a more orange colour on their under edges, the green laurel, some of the was seals have taken some chipping. Anyway, any C&C MUCH APPRECIATED at this point for suggestions for improvement. I should point out that the pics are a little washed out for some reason, took them in my bedroom and think the net curtains have affected the light and hence the pictures <_<

very atmospheric and darkly brooding, coolio!
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Newbie, please be gentle Phototoxin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks absolutely amazing - from conversion quality to colouring :-)

Woah! Angel of Death indeed! very moody paint job, and the conversion suits him perfectly.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

The metallics on the mace look great and it's looking good. You may well be about to do this but a little bit more of an even brighter final small edge highlight on the wings?
    "All in the game yo, all in the game."

he is looking terrible sinister. i dig it!
    ...keep talking
    Forever remains

Instagram

Lemmy is very nearly finished now Small details aside and varnishing I say he is good to go! My girlfriend has temporarily stolen my digital cam off me until the 14th so these are still phone pics and a little washed out at the moment <_< but you get the idea:

Also started on his squad of 'Elite Death Company'... Which just means they have winged jump packs too. There will be a mix of weapons in the squad just because they look cool B) They have been primed by airbrush with vallejo airbrush primer (I LOVE THIS STUFF) and the only thing painted on them so far is the eyes:

And here is the whole gang:

Phoar.... go on, do go on.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Working on these guys in my spare hours this weekend and spent most of my painting builfing up the red wings on the jump packs of these 6 dudes... Why oh why did I decide on 6 :huh: as nice as the jump packs are man they are a pain in the baals to paint! I have also hit the jump pack straps and the green laurels and grenades. I just took a pic of 1 guy so you see what I mean:

Quote Originally Posted by IronKobra View Post
    Working on these guys in my spare hours this weekend and spent most of my painting builfing up the red wings on the jump packs of these 6 dudes... Why oh why did I decide on 6 :huh: as nice as the jump packs are man they are a pain in the baals to paint! I have also hit the jump pack straps and the green laurels and grenades. I just took a pic of 1 guy so you see what I mean:

yup, sanguinary guard jump packs are a major pain in the ass to paint. it's almost like doing two models.