And on that note....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And on that note....

Default And on that note....

I know, I've probably said it before.
    But after this afternoon's experience at my (not so) local GW store, I've decided, I am done buying shit from them.

Besides the Disney-like fanaticism of their oppressive treatment of their customers, and the gestapo-esque company structure that monitors its employees like they are just waiting for them to slip up, (like here) today when I went in to pick up an Eldar War-Walker, and happened to mention to the brainwashed hyperactive ninny that wouldn't leave me alone that I'd gotten my hands on some "instant mold" for the express purpose of press molding a privately sculpted shoulder pad, he went "brains coming out his ears" retarded!

He was so persistent in berating me that I was causing the loss of money to "HIS" company, regardless of the fact that I've been supporting the hobby since before his genetic sequence was even "up to bat" from his father's loins, the final straw was when his partner (the manager) separated him from me and sent him away toward the back of the store to help some gamers at a table, and in soothing tones apologized and (I assume) making polite conversation about the "new" Ultramarines movie.

I responded that I wasn't impressed and that for such a HUGE company I was disappointed given the hype and the lack of investment from GW.

His beet-red face and the spittle that narrowly missed my cheek was an indicator of making a grave misstep in my openness in giving my honest feedback. Almost immediately the GW berserker from earlier was all to interested in what had gotten his boss's dander up and they both started in about how "people" (yes he did the air quotes) like me were the reason why the budget for the movie was so low, and that "we" (meaning my kind I assume) were draining the coffers of GW because of all the legal actions that they have been "forced" (my quotes there) to waste money on to keep their "Original Ideas" protected.

I left the box on the counter, told them I was done and started to leave...here's the creepy part...they immediately apologized and an as yet unseen fellow staff member appeared (enter "good cop") to apologize and express concern over his coworkers' overreaction, and that I am indeed entitled to my opinion, etc...

I told them that it was enough...I was done...and left...I felt dirty the whole drive home...I almost felt wrong for not completing my original purchase...but upon thinking it over...I am SO glad I didn't give them another dime.

And I will instead continue buying off of ebay, and hopefully eventually they will go under...but I will stick with my independent local game store...they don't even keep GW stock...if you want to buy it there...you have to order it.

So basically F*ck GW...and F*ck the staff......I am going to devote myself to playing with the figs I have...and when the little ones are done playing, I will devout my time to the painting aspect of this hobby.

Okay...rant over...I'm outta breath....<<phew>>

got ya there bud, the few times I went to the gw store near my old house it was a perpetual scoff fest because I didn't have an army or play I just like to paint. Last time I checked in a shite economy gw should be telling their employees to kiss customer ass just like every other retail worker gets to do.

Also why I only buy of ebay from bits joints I can get 90% of a kit for half the price and the couple high priced bits I just make myself or find alternatives from other kits.

I just hope they get their head outta there ass and start acting like a business that actually needs and wants it's customers (retail wise I know nothing of the game an all.)

Also calling the customer service number (if they got one) if not trying for a district manager should make it a crap day for the guys there, might also get ya a voucher of some sort (tho gw most likely not)

Better luck next time... where ever you may choose to shop

I must be one of the few people on the 40k-centric forums that has never had a bad experience with them. Granted, I haven't been in too many hobby shops, and none in Britain, but every time I've gone in they've been courteous. They came and greeted me, asked what I was interested in, made conversation about painting or modelling techniques and generally treated me like a human.

*shrug*

That being said, I still prefer getting my kits at the 20-25% discount that most webstores sell at, and I prefer to support local gaming stores, but I don't have this hatred for red shirts that most others seem to.

Interesting link though, Jesterz. Anyone have a copy of the "Little Red Book" they mentioned? I'd be interested in reading that.

Maybe it's on wikileaks...
    Blasting forth in three part harmony!

Honestly, I used to get super excited to go to an actual GW store. But the last three visits have been poor to say the least.
    I wish it wasn't so weird, but rather than deal with it, or hope another store will be different, I will just stop supporting them.
    Their business model just isn't customer oriented, and if they knew what customer service was, they wouldn't have lost yet another long time customer.

To be honest, I was surprised that I couldn't bring myself to buy that WarWalker...I f*cking need it for my army!...LOL.

I was just so put off.

Go on JEsterz, Rally the troops! Its time to storm GW HQ and tell them the truth!

Im glad you didnt buy the model, slap it up them.

PS iv a built eldar war walker if you have any eldar you want rid of.

Blog Entries

I hope they realise that THEIR actions just cost them another customer... I really wonder if the retail stores do more damage than good.

I guess you can blame these people:
    http://www.thesalesmasters.com/sales...stimonials.asp
    (Scroll down the page)

Quote Originally Posted by Master of fact View Post
    Go on JEsterz, Rally the troops! Its time to storm GW HQ and tell them the truth!

Im glad you didnt buy the model, slap it up them.

PS iv a built eldar war walker if you have any eldar you want rid of.
    What are you looking for, and is it the plastic one? Weapons options?

Quote Originally Posted by Tercha View Post
    I guess you can blame these people:
    http://www.thesalesmasters.com/sales...stimonials.asp
    (Scroll down the page)

If I could shop at the Aussie stores, I would....kind of a long way to go...but I could go watch the Great Whites while I'm there...pick up a tuff woman or two while I'm there as well...hmmmm, the things I am willing to do for my hobby....LOL.

I'm so glad my LGS is an "Independent" stockist (Premium store). Sure the guy there is a wee bit indoctrinated but he doesn't mind spilling his guts about poor GW tactics or sculpts or whatever with his customers, even if he doesn't quite find it all that bad but just because the customer does. I remember when I went to GD at 09 with them(the owners of our LGS) and we stopped by at a GW in Nottingham. I got halfway into the store(it was crowded) before I got a staff zombie up my ass asking me what I was playing, where I was from, etc. I politely told him that I was from Sweden and that I'm a devoted Space Wolves player. Aamd that's when he started ranting about how I should pre-order the codex from him (note that he had addressed my lgs owner that was in there with me and that had told him that he was a stockist himself) instead of buying it at GD, I'd get it a whole day earlier than if I bought it there! That's about the time I got Swedish on his ass and continued the conversation with "Uhuh, Oh..." and so forth, pretending to be VERY interested in a couple of nids on the lowest shelf of a cabinet that were kinda poorly painted. After a few minutes he left. Now, I'm not sure why he thought I'd even consider buying a book from a completely random shop when he knew I was there for the Space Wolves release, had my own LGS owner right beside me and had told him that I had already read the codex(we had the store ex with us to the hotel). Now let's see here, support my friend and my local store, get a signed version at the GD release or buy it off of someone completely random?
    Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    The secret? Practice, and a desire to get better. A little talent goes a long way, but as long as you're open to advice, you can do amazing things.

If there weren't a ton of fanastic alternates to Games Workshop, I'd say it'd be hard to quit them.

But, there are, so I'm not bothered in the slightest that they no longer get a percentage of my Hobby spending.

I've no real experience with the 'staff' or the retail stores, but the insane pricing, the maniacal control over internet sales, and the legal bullying have pushed me away from what used to be a great company. Or at least a company that was fun.

Gods, I'm glad that we have a great section of games stores around here. I don't think that I've ever have a employee try to hard sell me on anything, except for 'Pat' which the first words out of his mouth are "You should buy that." too whatever your looking at. Hells, I think that I've probably run off more employees with my chatter then anything else. The only time that I have been to a GW shop (Chicago) I found that the selection was smaller then what we've got here at my LGS. A sh!tload of playing space and some really nice boards, but come on, I was expecting something bigger, flasher, every thing that GW has out, BINS of BITS! DAMN IT! Really kind of a letdown.....
    "Yes, yes, yes. Woman are in awe of his manhood and men swoon in his wake. Truly he is a legend in his own mind."

They used to have bins of bits, in the 1980s.

They also used to do the SKULLZ promotion to get free models when you collect points. Its ebay or wayland for me, or trading. I host all my games at my place with my buddies and beer. Last time i played in GW people liked to tell you "dont assault them marines ect"

lol i had a weird experience yesterday and came up with the same conclusion. their iq's seem to be dropping by the minute

weird that they should berate you for something that they have encouraged in previous white dwarfs...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Of course you can hardly blame an entire company on the actions of a few, but the anecdotal evidence keeps piling up. It seems to be systemic.

I've yet to see what the GW we have here is like. It's fairly new reopened as a one-man store a few months ago apparently. Maybe I'll take my Grymn army

I've never had a direct problem with employees there but I was always put off by GW calling themselves "the hobby" as if their game is the only one that exists or is worth playing. I don't play, I just paint for those that are lacking the time to paint their own armies. As for the WarWalker, I have one sealed in the box that I was going to paint and put up on ebay. However, I have a bunch of other projects lined up so you are welcome to the kit if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post
    Of course you can hardly blame an entire company on the actions of a few, but the anecdotal evidence keeps piling up. It seems to be systemic.
    on the contrary, you can't blame the few for the actions of the company...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JesterzUSMC View Post
    Besides the Disney-like fanaticism of their oppressive treatment of their customers,
    I'm...not even sure how to describe that sentence..

and the gestapo-esque company structure that monitors its employees like they are just waiting for them to slip up, (like here)
    Hold on a minute. That guy you just quoted places the blame squarely on the shoulders of two people responsible for his firing and says himself, in that article, that he has no intention of allowing the events to stop him from continuing to collect and buy GW miniatures. From what he said, he had apparently inadvertently offended a manager, who then proceeded to make shit up to get him fired. The company policy didn't even come into play until the person's manager though that he needed to illustrate the point.

today when I went in to pick up an Eldar War-Walker, and happened to mention to the brainwashed hyperactive ninny that wouldn't leave me alone that I'd gotten my hands on some "instant mold" for the express purpose of press molding a privately sculpted shoulder pad, he went "brains coming out his ears" retarded!

He was so persistent in berating me that I was causing the loss of money to "HIS" company
    Right here I can tell you that he was probably thinking that you intended to recast the miniature you were planning on buying in some way. I can say that many or most GW employees remain blissfully unaware of the miniatures hobby outside of what is in their store (and even the possible applications for what is in there as well), so would be likely to assume that the term "press-mold" would mean a form of recast rather than a style of molding or casting an original piece.

I responded that I wasn't impressed and that for such a HUGE company I was disappointed given the hype and the lack of investment from GW.

His beet-red face and the spittle that narrowly missed my cheek was an indicator of making a grave misstep in my openness in giving my honest feedback. Almost immediately the GW berserker from earlier was all to interested in what had gotten his boss's dander up and they both started in about how "people" (yes he did the air quotes) like me were the reason why the budget for the movie was so low, and that "we" (meaning my kind I assume) were draining the coffers of GW because of all the legal actions that they have been "forced" (my quotes there) to waste money on to keep their "Original Ideas" protected.
    Yeah, some guys are prats. I think GW kills themselves when they hire people more "fanatic" than "socially capable". However when you're looking for someone to push a product, that's never heard of the outside competition, and can name off every product for the past 20 years, fanatics are what ya get.

And I will instead continue buying off of ebay, and hopefully eventually they will go under...but I will stick with my independent local game store...they don't even keep GW stock...if you want to buy it there...you have to order it.
    Good, don't like the store, don't support them. I'd suggest supporting the LGS over the local GW in most cases anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Arma View Post
    I hope they realize that THEIR actions just cost them another customer... I really wonder if the retail stores do more damage than good.
    Generally, it's about as effective or crippling as going into a Wal-Mart and yelling "I'll never shop HERE again!"
    Unless you've got real pull with the local gaming groups, there's not a whole lot of impact.
    Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post
    The pile is actually quite small. Outside of the more recent restructuring problems, the pile of complaints against GW is magnified by most internet browsers (the restructuring was fairly well trounced by many many a redshirt behind their boss's back, and some in front). There's more than 19 thousand users on Warseer alone and millions of GW gamers worldwide, the number of complaints on the internet isn't 1/100th of the number of people who use or collect GW products.

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    on the contrary, you can't blame the few for the actions of the company...
    But there has been very little on the company itself. Events that actually are the problem of the company are pretty much forgotten in favor of the lastest "The red shirt pissed me off, I hate GW" story.