Modern Base talk.

Thread: Modern Base talk.

Default Modern Base talk.

Most, if not all the models I'm working on now are 'Modern', and I'd like the bases to reflect that.

I'm tired of the sand/grass models, as most of these minis wouldn't be out standing in a random field.

So, I'm looking for some techniques that are still simple, but give effective 'indoor/urban/modern' looks to them.

Obviously, I still have to cover up the slotta base, but I'm determined to use the slots, as it gives much more stablitiy to the mini.

Any suggestions on how to do modern/urban bases?

I'd like to represent things such as carpet, tiled floor, etc. etc.

I made that bit bigger, because the rest is just me rambling.

Oh, and as always, I'd much prefer pictures of examples as well!

ooo.... Modern Warfare 2 style office debris bases would be super cool. Cast up a bunch of hole punches, staplers, laptops, miscellaneous papers strewn about, waste paper baskets on a normal textured plastic base painted to look like carpet and you'll have a nice terrorist/counter-terrorist theme.
    I like it firm and fruity!

Oh yeah.....that'd be a great source for inspiration. As if I need another reason to be playing that game!

street stuff is always good:

not mine i hasten to add
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Blog Entries

There are some pretty good textures on the bottom of take-out clamshells, like what they put sandwiches in at the deli. Also I have used some nylon window screen for a wire grid look:

Last edited by Demihuman; 02-08-2011 at 08:08 PM.

Carpet could be done just like the common dirt/sand but using a very fine scatter. When I first collected some builder's sand as a modelling material I sifted it into different grades and the finest sift would probably work as carpet texture at mini scales - paint it one way it'll look like sand, paint it another and you've got road surface, paint it another and people would buy it was carpet. For a finer texture you could just stipple on thick paint, that might work this small.

For a section of rug I'd use either lead foil or thinly-rolled GS or MS, and then texture it as above. A tasselled edge can be cut with a sharp craft blade.

For tiled floor (or any similar pattern) you could always make a master by scoring a pattern into plastic card, smooth it down a bit with fine paper or steel wool, then make a press mould and pull copies in putty. In terms of found objects that might help, worth looking at the texture of various foils used in food packages - I've found a few that I've made moulds from to test how they reproduce in putty, some look a bit like tiling.

Crazy paving - scored in putty or random cutoffs from plastic card or lead foil glued down. Again, you could make a master and pull copies for consistency and to save having to do this one at a time.

Einion

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    - paint it one way it'll look like sand, paint it another and you've got road surface, paint it another and people would buy it was carpet.
    Would like to point out how right Einion is on this one. This is the easiest way I've seen to do asphalt for 28mm. Painting in faded lines for dividers and not painting the asphalt as freshly laid makes a very realistic looking base. For fresh laid asphalt I'd use a small burst of semi-gloss workable fixative and then paint on the stripes.
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

I like the fine sand approach as well.

I did try using some masking tape as the 'texture' for my carpet. It seemed to work pretty well, but I'm just not sure how well it'll hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    street stuff is always good:

not mine i hasten to add
    That Monster energy drink is freakin' amazing.

yeah he's a talented little turd

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    yeah he's a talented little turd
    'Little'...

But yeah, I am awesome, aren't I

I NMM'd the bare metal parts - when I've finished the guy that's gonna be stood on it I'll take some decent pics. Hopefully be done over the weekend.

I am VERY guilty of just PVA'ing sand to bases, but I am trying to to some more interesting stuff - albeit putting a layer of magic sculpt on to base and cutting squares into it
    Still, got me a gold at GD - who's a turd now, ass-hat!

the CIA or NSA emblem on the marble entrance hall floor all cracked up and aged with debris scattered around would look good. possible use the dreadnought base for that.

Last edited by cassar; 02-10-2011 at 03:33 PM.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Quote Originally Posted by Countersunk81 View Post
    'Little'...
    ok, he's a giant turd

I really like the NSA symbol on the GW Dreadnought base...

Lots of good ideas. Einion already suggested plasticard, but there's really a wide variety of textures available in it if you find a shop that stocks a decent supply (diamond plate, corrugated tin, even square tiles, in all the different model railroad scales). And I'm amazed that no one so far has suggested the ubiquitous broken concrete slab made of cork. Unfortunately most of these are going to require you to bite the bullet, and cut off that slotta base and get out your drill.

Quote Originally Posted by khavor View Post
    Unfortunately most of these are going to require you to bite the bullet, and cut off that slotta base and get out your drill.
    but thats the BEST part!! broken cork works well as does a sheet of plaster. you can layer the top of a base with gs and gently press some plaseter in, then using something small but firm (stop it) like a pen, press into it when still uncured. this can do some great cracks

cat litter makes excellent rubble, seal it with varnis before painting tho
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Well, by no means a expert, but, I used a regular plastic dinner plate for my mount, and two copper wires superglued over, painted one red, one green, then drybrushed the rest with mithril silver...

Looks space hulky.. and I can make hundreds with 1 plastic dinner plate and 1 metre of copper wire, 0.8 mm thick..

At first, I did buy insect net, but when I came home I realised the plastic dinner plate would be even easier, all sorts of net have a chance of getting frayed at the edges, so you gotta cover that somehow.. But the dinner plate is corrugated, and it makes it look like the trooper was in a industrial space, or, in a space hulk.

Still learning how to paint, but I actually really like the base.. :P

http://coolminiornot.com/pics/pics15...8303f955dc.jpg
    Last edited by Liljagare; 02-13-2011 at 04:23 PM.

you got dinner plates with non-stick industrial plate texture on them?!! awesome