Stereoscopic (3D) miniature: Sanguinary Priest
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stereoscopic (3D) miniature: Sanguinary Priest

Default Stereoscopic (3D) miniature: Sanguinary Priest

Hu guys,
    few days ago I've painted a miniature for E-Bay... nothing special, just an ordinary Sanguinary Priest, panted at good level but not "for collector", anyway on this miniature I tested an effect I was trying to achieve on our models: 3D vision without glasses
    I've accomplished it so I want to show you the result. I think it's the 1st kind of stereoscope picture here on CMON (but I'm not 100% sure).

If you want, just take a look and leave a comment here.
    Instructions and pictures are here: http://www.coolminiornot.com/271070

I'm normally quite good at this sort of thing, but I just couldn't resolve it! Maybe if I cobble together a viewer when I get home...
    Nice paint job!!

i think my head just exploded
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Well, I couldn't get a single 3-d image, but I'm convinced you made a great looking 4 man squad there.

Could you reverse the image? I have stereo viewer glasses. Think I'll have to give 3d a go. I have the set up for shooting 3d.
    Surrealism: You have two giraffes. The government requires you to take harmonica lessons.

it worked for me cooool
    ...keep talking
    Forever remains

Instagram

Didn't really work for me, just got a headache trying. And how do you cross yous eyes? Kind of like when you look at your nose? Good work though, even though I just saw it in 2d.

Holy sh*t! That was super cool. Reminded me of my old 3D viewmaster!
    Would have worked better without my glasses frams wanting to get in the way of crossed eyes.

try partially closing your eyes when crossing them, it will be easier to focus on the middle image, and maintain it longer.

This also works with 3D films if you narrow your eyes you get a partial 3D effect naturally.

Blog Entries

Definitely cool.

Here I am!
    I hope that you liked it, and I'm sorry for the ones that cannot see it. Maybe you could try to move away from the screen to see the 3D effect.

@ supervike: lol

@ Shawn R. L. : what do you mean with "reverse the image"? You do not need glasses to see it. I know it's a bit hard at the beginning since you really do not know what you are trying to achieve... at least it was for me.

@ cleen X : yes you are right. Move the eyes just like if you were trying to watch your nose.

Anyway, today I made another stereoscopic picture of the Enigma Thorvin that I've painted for the Second Triplozero Miniature Exchange (Triplozero.com is the forum I admin along with other friends).
    The effect here is stronger since there are 3 main "planes" in the scene: grass, miniature, wall. I think ot would be really cool with a diorama...

Amazing effect, AkhRa. I'm surprised nobody thought of this before.

I always have trouble with 3D stuff, but I find the trick here is not to try too hard. Just relax and find the middle image.

Quote Originally Posted by AkhRa View Post
    @ Shawn R. L. : what do you mean with "reverse the image"? You do not need glasses to see it. I know it's a bit hard at the beginning since you really do not know what you are trying to achieve... at least it was for me.
    What I ment was to cut the image on the right and put it on the left side. I can't seem to make the crosseyed thing work. Stereo glasses 3D need the image to be, left and right, reversed from crosseyed. I took your image and did this. Now it will, and does VERY WELL, work with stereo 3D glasses.

Name:  Thorvin3D.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  271.9 KB
    Surrealism: You have two giraffes. The government requires you to take harmonica lessons.

@shawn: Couldn't you just put the glasses on upside down?

Very cool! I saw some stereoscopic drawings a few years ago and wanted to try that on a miniature (wasn't there a thread on here?). I didn't get it to work though, couldn't at that time find a tutorial. What is the process really? Do you have to cut out and align different parts of the image differently?

Well it all worked for me. The second image is better granted.

So how do you do this. Just take a normal pic and copy it and paste it side by side the add the dots, or is there a trick to it?

i think the cameras have to be a set distance apart, like your eyes, 10cm or something

i still can't do it. i have bleeding eyes now
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Thank you to everyone.
    To make stereoscopic pictures you need to take 2 shots with a camera (use manual settings so you will be sure all the settings will be the same) on a tripod.
    Take the first picture, move the camera 5-6 cm (about 2 ") on the right and take another picture.
    Now you have to use a graphic software like Photoshop. Put the images side by side, positioning on the left the first photo you have taken. If you want, add the dots to help to visualize the 3D effect. If you swap the side of the images, all the effect will be spoiled, expecially of the background

Fricken cool!, im now bumping into everything in the house shouting i see in 3d, while crossing my eyes....................

If you have an Nvidia 3d enabled system with shutter glasses, you can view the 3D image by renaming it to .jps (Jpeg stereo, which is essentially a side by side image, left image on the left, right image on the right). Really cool and very well done for a manually taken stereo shot!
    I like it firm and fruity!

Thanks for the explanation! Got to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    i think the cameras have to be a set distance apart, like your eyes, 10cm or something
    10cm? Tim the sloth?