WTF is up with Television Companies?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTF is up with Television Companies?

Default WTF is up with Television Companies?

BBC is being Copied on American television.
    First it was "Shameless", now an "Original" on Showtime.
    Now it's "Being Human" on Syfy Channel.

What's next?

Don't get me wrong, they were REALLY awesome shows, and I've been Watching "Shameless" on SHOwtime, even though it's set in Chicago instead of the UK.

But seriously, WTF?!

Why not resurrect a good show rather than copy one?

*Firefly
    *Dresden Files
    *Caprica
    *plenty to choose from....

I can't remember the full list of what you've got that's been remade but Skins is another one.

Shameless ain't a BBC programme, it's Channel4 - though that doesn't impair your point.

Not having grown up in the States I can't tell just how well remakes of Brit' series tends to pan out. I've heard of "The Ropers" as being quite a popular thing, which was a remake of a Brit series, and the US Sanford and Son was a remake of the Brit Steptoe series, so all remakes can't all be dire surely.

I could understand a remake being made of Shameless. It's so packed with Britishness, the character types, the slang, it could suffer in reaching a big enough audience not immersed in all that. Though for the same reason I could understand why Life on Mars got remade in the States, but it died on its arse didn't it?

Been wracking my brain to come up with a remake in the other direction. All I've got is the dreadful Brighton Belles remake of Golden Girls.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterzUSMC
    What's next?
    Next? Antiques Roadshow, What Not To Wear, Life On Mars and oh I don't know, The Office ring a bell?

*Firefly
    *Dresden Files
    *Caprica
    *plenty to choose from....
    I don't see a good show in that list

Einion

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    The Office
    I don't see a good show in that list
    Einion
    The office is stupid on either side of the pond.
    And you can't have seen "Firefly" if you don't think it's worth reviving.
    They made a movie called "Serenity" out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterzUSMC View Post
    BBC is being Copied on American television.
    First it was "Shameless", now an "Original" on Showtime.
    Now it's "Being Human" on Syfy Channel.
    Well, actually I'd say first it was Benny Hill. Though if you're talking about the American remakes of BBC shows, then it's probably Weakest Link.
    What's next?

Don't get me wrong, they were REALLY awesome shows, and I've been Watching "Shameless" on SHOwtime, even though it's set in Chicago instead of the UK.

But seriously, WTF?!

*Firefly
    Because Fox sucks, plain and clear.
    It took three outrageously successful straight to DVD movies to get Futurama back on the air (and still not on Fox), and that got the same treatment as all of Fox's scifi shows.
    Put show on primetime, take show off primetime to a weak spot in the ratings after it shows improvement, don't advertise new spot in the schedule, cancel show when the ratings drop. Oh, and pre-empt the show whenever they feel like it, making people miss half the damned thing.
    They're also fighting tooth and nail over the rights to Firefly even though they're not planning on using it themselves (This is generally known as a "dick move"). Fox went after Universal when they produced the movie, and Wheddon had to practically beg them to get the television rights transfered to himself.
    *Dresden Files
    Died on the spot. It wasn't anywhere near the original material and wasn't enticing enough to draw a large audience.

I've heard the office is already being remade for the states anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by winters bite View Post
    I've heard the office is already being remade for the states anyway.
    already done

Quote Originally Posted by JesterzUSMC View Post

actually, it's not bad once you get past the episodes where they try and remake the british version. it really becomes it's own animal. totally different to the office, but funny nevertheless
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Totally agree. Just pointing out a few things that 'slightly' predate the things you're highlighting here

And you can't have seen "Firefly" if you don't think it's worth reviving.
    They made a movie called "Serenity" out of it.
    Yes, and the film was great. Joss Whedon paid attention to the critical feedback and corrected many of the problems of the series.

There have been dozens of series that didn't get a fair shake, to list a few of my personal peeves that were cancelled way before their time (and some just as you were getting to something meaty):
    Cupid
    Brimstone
    Now And Again
    Deadwood
    Stargate: Universe
    Dollhouse
    Joan Of Arcadia
    Dead Like Me
    Hack
    Shark
    Veronica Mars
    Reaper
    Touching Evil

Issues of stupid schedule placement and adequate promotion obviously play a part, but mass taste is mass taste... V.I.P. went on to four full seasons for crying out loud... the cake might be Smallville though, which has somehow managed to make it to 10 years *sigh*

Einion

doll house was cancelled?! shit

anyone ever see the god awful american rendition of "The IT Crowd"? joel mchale was the "star" but moss was still there. just not as good as the british series which leaves me in stitcheS every time.

FAAAAATHHERRRRR!!!!1
    Brushlicking is the miniature painting equivalent of a rock'n'roll life-style!

Here is my ranking:

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    Just bought Season 2 the other week & watched it over a weekend. If it had been the same as the first batch I'd have given up, 24 episodes of doll scenarios being too samey to care about (particularly given the limitations of the lead actress). However the characters actually develop and they tie it all up, giving a nice strong arc to the whole thing. All neat at the end & didn't leave me rolling my eyes in disgust at any lame cop-out conclusion, thankfully. Certainly worth picking up once it's dropped from it's brand new premium price.

Cheers, B.
    My CMON Gallery Rank...

Being from the states...
    The US version is NEVER NEVER NEVER anywhere near as good as the UK version. EVER!
    The US drags shows on forever and ever and ever. Loved the UK Office, the US verios is just lame and never ends.
    Glad the didn't suceed remake the IT Crowd since it was so good.

It is amazing watching a FOX show with Gordon Ramsay then watching a BBC show with him.

I guess after we were done ripping off Japanese horror movies we moved to UK TV.

Can't say I was a fan of Firefly.

We need more japanese game shows, and if you like some dark/comedy/sci fi check out a show called Misfits here in the UK on Channel 4. Very good.

A couple of points...

I'd be interested to know how many American TV programs are readily available in the UK.

To find a BBC program here in the states would take effort...they just aren't easy to find. Is the converse true?

Also, American TV companies lack serious patience to give a program a chance. All of Hollywood is a copycat business anyhow, so they are just betting on proven commodities....It's not the there isn't any originality in America...it's that these mega-corps don't want to risk any money.

I enjoyed the BBC version of the Office, but I also enjoyed the Americanized version as well (at least for the first couple of seasons).

Here are some American shows that I find enjoyable.

Fringe
    Psych
    The Daily Show
    The Colbert Report
    Pawn Stars (actually this one has kinda grown on me...It's not really any good, but I can't look away)

I watch BBC America, channel on DirecTV.
    I watch it more than primetime American channels, (other than Syfy and Netflix.)

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage
    Sorry, yeah! That's just how I felt a couple of weeks back when I fount out SG:U had been canned

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenhex
    Being from the states...
    The US version is NEVER NEVER NEVER anywhere near as good as the UK version. EVER!
    Is this like "the book is always better than the movie"? It's best not to talk in absolutes since there are sure to be exceptions, even if they're rare. I personally think that the US version of Touching Evil is better than the UK original. Now I may be a little biased as I'm a fan of Jeffrey Donovan who played the lead, and Vera Farmiga being on the cast didn't hurt it none either.

In terms of films from books, Die Hard, The Taking Of Pelham One Two Three, Blade Runner and The Princess Bride really are better than the books they came from. I'm sure there are others too.

Einion

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    In terms of films from books, Die Hard, The Taking Of Pelham One Two Three, Blade Runner and The Princess Bride really are better than the books they came from. I'm sure there are others too.

Einion
    you read running man? extremely different from the film

SGU was cancelled? when did that happen? Dang it, it was really starting to get interesting...guess they needed to make room for more wrestling and those horrid beyond B-movies (who watches that crap anyways?!?) Dead Like Me was also a really great show, was hoping it would have gotten more of a chance being on Showtime and all, the cable channels are usually willing to give interesting stuff more of a chance. Too bad the masses here in the US would rather watch reality tv and 15 different versions of CSI or L&O.

Oh, and a little show called Friends was also a copy of a Brit original as I understand it..'Coupling' I think? Never seen it though so I can't comment on the comparison, but the US version was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post
    A couple of points...

I'd be interested to know how many American TV programs are readily available in the UK.

To find a BBC program here in the states would take effort...they just aren't easy to find. Is the converse true?
    I don't watch mutch TV and I am quite picky with what I watch so I am not really sure on that. However we do get American TV here, I know this one is a bit old now but ages ago they were showing The Wire very late at night on a BBC channel which is possibly the best American TV show I have seen. We do of couse get any huge American TV hits. I can't think of any recent ones but for example all the Star Trek series, X Files and so on (I know it's old!!!) made it to British TV. If you pay for satellite TV you get much more American TV such as Fringe (which I really like the look of but am too tight to pay for Sky TV!!!).