The Trilogy Meter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Trilogy Meter

Default The Trilogy Meter

agree with most of them, seems like the last movie usually gets wrong.
    lotr is more like a three part movie though.

havent seen godfather but i guess the 3rd movie there is pretty bad?

im not givin away much on godfather 3. but with the incestuous cousin sex, and horrid acting...... yeah i kinda did the same thing al pacino did in the final scene. and personally i loved blade 3 a heck of a lot more than 2. mainly because of ryan reynolds, not for snipes. god that man has a large amount of smug around him.
    Brushlicking is the miniature painting equivalent of a rock'n'roll life-style!

Here is my ranking:

Quote Originally Posted by SkelettetS View Post

agree with most of them, seems like the last movie usually gets wrong.
    lotr is more like a three part movie though.

havent seen godfather but i guess the 3rd movie there is pretty bad?
    I haven't seen it either, but I can see your point that the third movie usually ends up worse than the two before. Examples: (Only from movies I've seen)

Indiana Jones (though not THAT much worse)
    Terminator
    The Matrix
    Rocky (though it went beyond a trilogy eventually)
    Once Upon a Time in China
    Saw (Again, went beyond trilogy)
    X-men
    Batman (I'm referencing the Val Kilmer one)
    Star Wars
    Star Trek (though really, out of the first three the one worth watching is #2)
    Predator
    Alien
    Chronicles of Narnia (Though there was a steep drop in quality from #1 to #2. Even worse from #2 to #3)
    Rambo
    Shrek
    Back to the Future
    Beverly Hills Cop
    Big Momma (Okay, maybe I'm being preemptive with this judgement, but I'm a betting man)
    Crocodile Dundee
    Friday
    Honey, I shrunk the kids (and it's successors)
    Jurassic Park
    El Mariachi
    The Mighty Ducks
    The Mummy (the newer ones)
    Naked Gun
    Ocean's 11,12,13
    Poltergeist
    Porky's
    Robocop
    Rush Hour
    Spider Man
    36th Chamber of Shaolin
    Underworld

Exceptions:
    Die Hard (Of the first 3, #2 was the worst. I thought #3 was a vast improvement over #2)
    The Man With No Name
    Toy Story
    Evil Dead
    Last edited by IdofEntity; 02-17-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Red is new!
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

I have to say I thought Aliens was a better film that Alien (although both still great). Mad Max is another one.

Most see to be right on, although I'd say the Rocky chart should look similar to the Jaws chart. Rocky as a stand alone movie is fantastic.

Also, I think the Die Hard film should mimic that as well. First Die Hard, brilliant... sequels, not only unneccesary, but garbage. (but I do agree 3 was better than 2)

EDIT....I was thinking of this the other day. Was Star Wars the first 'franchise' that made the Trilogy a staple of big budget movies?
    I realize there were other films with sequels before that, but it seems to me the Star War films changed the way we look at them.

Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post
    I have to say I thought Aliens was a better film that Alien (although both still great). Mad Max is another one.

Most see to be right on, although I'd say the Rocky chart should look similar to the Jaws chart. Rocky as a stand alone movie is fantastic.

Also, I think the Die Hard film should mimic that as well. First Die Hard, brilliant... sequels, not only unneccesary, but garbage. (but I do agree 3 was better than 2)

EDIT....I was thinking of this the other day. Was Star Wars the first 'franchise' that made the Trilogy a staple of big budget movies?
    I realize there were other films with sequels before that, but it seems to me the Star War films changed the way we look at them.
    Rocky, the first Rocky, is an amazing movie. Can't argue that one bit. Die Hard...eh, I think it was Samuel Jackson that sold me on Die Hard With a Vengeance.

And I'm not sure about big budget trilogies, but The Man with No Name trilogy was before Star Wars. (and their budgets are more comparable. The first film in each was made on a paltry budget) And I'd like to point out it completely bucks the trilogy trend.

1) A Fistful of Dollars - Great Movie
    2) For a Few Dollars More - Bigger Budget, same rough edges. Pretty Good Movie.
    3) The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - Masterpiece.
    Last edited by IdofEntity; 02-17-2011 at 12:04 PM.
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

Now I thought that it was the first and third movies that were the great ones, with the second being the black sheep, as the movie houses try to capitalize on the successes of the first one. Indiana Jones, and the Die hard series IMHO.
    I wonder what how the numbers 4, 5, and 6 would look like.
    "Yes, yes, yes. Woman are in awe of his manhood and men swoon in his wake. Truly he is a legend in his own mind."

I think the Matrix sequels are better than the meter shows though they certainly are not as good as the first one. Godfather part 3 is definately far below par compared to the first two. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is better than temple of Doom, largely down to the Ford/Connery double act. The most recent one just lacked in nearly all areas.

lord of the rings - all should be higher
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Thanks for posting this. Don't agree with nearly all of them* but it's a great to see it represented in this form.

Just quickly:
    Mad Max - 2nd lower, 3rd higher;
    X-Men - 1st higher, 3rd higher;
    Blade - 1st higher, 2nd a lot lower;
    Indiana Jones are totally off for me - both 2nd and 3rd way lower.

*Terminator and Matrix ones are just about right IMO.

Einion

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    Thanks for posting this. Don't agree with nearly all of them* but it's a great to see it represented in this form.
    Well yeah, art and entertainment are purely subjective. The third X-men was better in your opinion?
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

I'm hoping the newest Batman, despite his gravvly 'batman' voice, will continue to buck the trend.

1st one good. 2nd one better....Third one???

Oh c'mon, Jaws 3D was fantastic!

1st one good. 2nd one better....Third one???
    You really think you're going to see a performance to top Ledger's? Not saying the film would be bad, but I doubt it'll be as good as or better than the last. Could happen though...I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenhex View Post
    I....what?
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

Quote Originally Posted by uberdark View Post
    im not givin away much on godfather 3. but with the incestuous cousin sex, and horrid acting...... yeah i kinda did the same thing al pacino did in the final scene. and personally i loved blade 3 a heck of a lot more than 2. mainly because of ryan reynolds, not for snipes. god that man has a large amount of smug around him.
    am i the only one who thinks that blade 2 was brill and 3 was rubbish (although i can still watch it..)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

I guess it's all pretty subjective, don't agree with most of that.
    A couple of them aren't trilogies at all.
    Do Star war refer to the original ones or the fancy new ones? ( From the scores, I can't think it's the new...)
    How come indiana jones and jaws get the only perfect scores?
    Is there an actual Planet of the apes trology, or do they refer to remakes?
    What about ninja turtles? ( I reckon the 2cnd and 3rd are better forgotten, lol)
    I guess I'm the only one who liked the 3rd matrix (Much better than the 2nd imo...)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post
    I guess it's all pretty subjective, don't agree with most of that.
    A couple of them aren't trilogies at all.
    Do Star war refer to the original ones or the fancy new ones? ( From the scores, I can't think it's the new...)
    How come indiana jones and jaws get the only perfect scores?
    Is there an actual Planet of the apes trology, or do they refer to remakes?
    What about ninja turtles? ( I reckon the 2cnd and 3rd are better forgotten, lol)
    I guess I'm the only one who liked the 3rd matrix (Much better than the 2nd imo...)
    The first Ninja Turtles was watchable?

The Planet of the Apes did have some 'sequels' it seems...Although it was a different dude than Charleton Heston, they continued on the story of Cornelius and his monkey lady.

The first Ninja Turtles was watchable?

The Planet of the Apes did have some 'sequels' it seems...Although it was a different dude than Charleton Heston, they continued on the story of Cornelius and his monkey lady.
    Actually, I reviewed it recently, and, all nostalgia beside (I'm from the ninja turtle generation,lol) , I think it's pretty decent. The other two were utter crap tho.
    There was an oldschool dark comic style, okay acting, nice soundtrack, and straightforward plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenhex View Post
    lol! love that one too, at least i made me laugh out loud watching it!

the rocky movies seems to be bit off i agree, the first one is hell of a lot better than the sequels.

OMG! Evil Dead trilogy is AWESOME!
    And if anyone wants to get caught up that's:
    Evil Dead
    Evil Dead 2
    and
    Army of Darkness