Questions about Green stuff and sculpting clay

Thread: Questions about Green stuff and sculpting clay

Default Questions about Green stuff and sculpting clay

Well I have done my fourth sculpture (haven't had a chance to post them yet, and their not really min's is it ok to post them?) but the questions I have are about green stufF. Most of the figures I do are in super sculptey or ss firm (so far waiting for green stuff to come in) as I was saying can I use green stuff to do like belts an other parts on top of. Clay sculpture after it has been baked? Was reading on post but they where talking about be for it was baked, don't know if it really matters or not.

Dose green stuff respond well to being primed? I like to prime my work before painting them.

And part two what type of paint can you use on green stuff? I know they say to use acrylic on clay.
    What are the best brands of paint to use?
    Where are the best places (like on line) to buy it?

Using GS over SS would be no problem. GS can handle more heat than SS can so don't worry about baking..............make sure the GS is cured fully before baking. Once set up GS can handle a lot of heat but if you hit it with too much heat when it's still soft it can blister.

Don't see that there should be any problems with primers. I've used Krylon primer and Rust-Oleum auto primer.
    Surrealism: You have two giraffes. The government requires you to take harmonica lessons.

In addition, I don't think there's any problem with sticking on green stuff after the clay's baked. I've seen it before, and in my experience it'd be easier to press and shape the putty against a solid, rigid surface.

thanks a lot I'm going to try that on my next sculpture I do

Quote Originally Posted by mogen1
    Dose green stuff respond well to being primed? I like to prime my work before painting them.
    Yes, in fact you really want to since paint doesn't tend to bond well to it.

As you've never used Kneadatite before I'd recommend having a read about how to handle it, as some people find it very challenging early on since it's so sticky - this is good in that even in small amounts it'll usually adhere well to the surface of a sculpt, but it'll also want to stick to your tools.

What are the best brands of paint to use?
    Really depends (a lot of different factors) and there are many different opinions on this as you'll see if you check past threads.

Where are the best places (like on line) to buy it?
    Depends on what you decide you want to try and where you are; again, past threads will help here.

Einion

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    Depends on what you decide you want to try and where you are; again, past threads will help here.
    Well I live down in the south and there arnt many hobby shops other than like a hobby lobby and they don't have any there even trues a hardware store best they had was some five min epoxy. As far as what kind I use none yet but ive ordered some yellow/blue just haven't came in yet but would like to fine a better place to order it cause its taking too long. But as far the brand I'm willing to try any of them to see what works best for me just like I did with clay.

South, as in Southern States? Remember that this is an international site, we are scattered on both sides of the pond and all across the globe.
    As far as sculpting questions, this is a great site to search through.
    There are many articles and threaded discussions for newbie techniques and opportunities to learn from others mistakes.

For painting, again, look through the articles and threads. There is a search function in both the articles and discussion sections.
    For a quick anytime hobby supply referral, I would shop here on the CMON shop, at the War Store, and skim through eBay.