I'd get better scores if....

Thread: I'd get better scores if....

Default I'd get better scores if....

Note that this isn't about improving your painting per se....

But, just curious to know other causes of a lower-ish score. It's not really a rant about our scoring system either.

Here's my obstacles

1. Terrible photography
    2. I tend to gravitate towards 'weird' miniatures. (ie they aren't popular ones)
    3. A bit lazy on the presentation

What do you think?

Sounds about right. I feel like you have about 2 seconds to impress someone before they vote, so you need to immediately grab them.

Subject matter- Is it something the voter is interested in? I'd bet popular systems get better votes. I'd imagine naked chicks probably rank a little higher.
    Photography- Clear, well lit, shot from angles that show the piece well, especially in Silhouette.
    Focal point- The eye needs something to draw it into a picture. A mini that has some central focal point to get people to look at it longer probably would score higher than one that is extremely well done, but uniform.
    Scale- I'm not sure how much consideration is given to scale given that the images end up the same size. All things being equal a large piece is easier to paint, and subject to less magnification on screen. That means flaws won't be as apparent.

Of course I haven't looked through a ton of stuff to verify any of this. Just guesses.

one of my biggest detractors are when someone doesnt do a base justice. but in the case of an entire army shot, i dont care about it then. if its one or two models without nice basing, well, that kinda stinks.
    Brushlicking is the miniature painting equivalent of a rock'n'roll life-style!

Here is my ranking:

Little bits. Can't stand doing lots of little fiddley bits.
    General lack of patience.
    Lack of fine motor control.
    Not concerned enough to overcome this stuff.
    Surrealism: You have two giraffes. The government requires you to take harmonica lessons.

Definitely.
    Definitely.
    More than likely.

Einion

If I were to identify my obstacles it'd come down to two issues.

1. I don't produce a lot of stuff these days to show off.

2. High scores often go to elaborate miniatures either in conversion, paintjob or whatever. I've always gone for simplicity. These days it's not easy to break out of the 8s with such minis. I wouldn't say impossible of course.

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

I painted GW stuff and actually finished something.
    We done done it now. We're finally hitched. We are now the dreaded two headed Roger - Liz - Bunting monster you have all feared.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn R. L. View Post
    Not concerned enough to overcome this stuff.
    Yeah, to be honest I don't think I'm concerned either.

Don't get me wrong, I like the conversation, but I've found that I've become happy with my own painting, since I feel like I'm just painting for me.

All the other stuff, the frustrations etc, just end up making something I really enjoy turn into somewhat of a chore.

Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post
    but I've found that I've become happy with my own painting, since I feel like I'm just painting for me.
    Then scores don't really matter, right? Good on you.
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

certain lack of skills
    impatience/slapdashery
    bad photos
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Blog Entries

I'd score better if:

I actually painted a display miniature

no time at all at home because of the little miniature that almost 2

I think better photography helps, also, like one of the post said, if it's a single mini, the base matters.... and I suck at basing =..=

I'd get better scores if...

...I actually posted something...LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterzUSMC View Post

Yes, that tends to help.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterzUSMC View Post

Ditto. Well that and if I ever, you know, finished painting something....
    "Yes, yes, yes. Woman are in awe of his manhood and men swoon in his wake. Truly he is a legend in his own mind."

Official Freak Bar Witch wiccanpony's Avatar

for vikey .... paint more nude women
    " So remember that, when they're beating your ass with a metal shovel while you're dressed as Little Bo Peep - it's not deviant...it's art.

Quote Originally Posted by freakinacage View Post
    impatience/slapdashery
    Haha, my own Achilles heel. I'd get better scores if I didn't rush things in the last 5% of painting a project and then when it looks pretty good to me...

I'd get better scores if I stuck to GW and Space Marines (a recent item proved this)

But, as I only really paint for me I don't care. I like it (usually) and if nobody else does, so what.

But wait, paint? this is Cool MINI Or Not as opposed to Cool PAINTJOB Or Not - isn't it? No, don't answer that...

Quote Originally Posted by waghorn41 View Post
    But, as I only really paint for me I don't care. I like it (usually) and if nobody else does, so what.

I'd say this is true of me as well...although it is kind of fun having my peers here on this site see what I've been up to....Not so much for their approval, but just to share I think.

I need to post picture.

But my photograph isn't that good. So I don't post.

Quote Originally Posted by supervike View Post
    Note that this isn't about improving your painting per se....

But, just curious to know other causes of a lower-ish score. It's not really a rant about our scoring system either.

Here's my obstacles

1. Terrible photography
    2. I tend to gravitate towards 'weird' miniatures. (ie they aren't popular ones)
    3. A bit lazy on the presentation

What do you think?