Your GO TO food recepies - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your GO TO food recepies

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
    That is something very, very common at our place as well! Best part with it is that it's virtually impossible to fail with.
    Unfortunately, SUCCEEDING with it is about as impossible.

we need recipes, not pics! although they look lovely
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/freak-in-a-cage/freakinacage-1.jpg

Moved to the land of Oz in March of 2014. Interesting place, Kansas.
    Blog Entries

LOlololololol!!!!!! What Master of fact is on about is my weekly Kid's Night. Every Wednesday that I can afford it I have my son and his friends over for dinner and gaming. Somehow gaming gets left out. I tend to make large hunks of meat (last week was stuffed prok loin, potatoes, glazed carrots and pie) and play with desserts. Every week I seem to be feeding more people, all of whom have huge appettites (sp). We're up to 10 kids plus Donna and I now but Tony can eat enough for 3 himself.

Mr. Master, this week I'm just ordering in chinese. Too much to do to really cook and we've never done it before.

If you all want I can add my weekly menus here so you can all drool.
    We done done it now. We're finally hitched. We are now the dreaded two headed Roger - Liz - Bunting monster you have all feared.

I knew you would bite Liz! hahahaha

Thanks

Blog Entries

Well I had to defend my honor. You left that really open. They could have thought I was posting......other kinds of things....on facebook that were making you drool. Geez!
    We done done it now. We're finally hitched. We are now the dreaded two headed Roger - Liz - Bunting monster you have all feared.

Can't believe I missed this.

1: The Easy recipe

- 1 lb. uncooked conchiglie
    - 1 pint grape tomatoes
    - 1/3 to 1/2 cup of shredded basil leaves
    - 1 & 1/2 cup of Calamata Olives, pitted (Please don't get the ones packed in salt)
    - 3/4 cup Olive Oil, Extra Virgin
    - 1 lb hand shredded mozazrella di buffala
    - 1 tspn of Capers
    - Red Pepper Flakes (to taste)
    - OPTIONAL - 1 tin of anchovies, chopped (preferrably having been packed in olive oil)

Cut all of the grape tomatoes lengthwise (stemwise) and throw them into a bowl. Add the Basil leaves. Pour all of the Olive oil into the tomatoes and basil and let sit for 20-30 minutes.

Cook the conchiglie (shells) in a large pot for 9-11 minutes. 9-10 for Al Dente. You want to use Medium shells, the ones that are only about 1 inch long when cooked. Drain well and set aside in a large serving bowl. Mix in the Olive oil, tomatoes, and basil that you have let sit. Let the pasta stand for 5 minutes! You don't want to add the cheese right away since we DON'T want it to melt.

Add the cheese, the capers, the olives, and Red Pepper flakes to taste. Add the anchovies if you plan to use them. Mix thoroughly.

Serve warm, just above room temperature, and with a dry crisp wine to compliment. Pinot Grigio is my recommendation.

*Going to the movies with the wife, will write out a couple of others when I get back.
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

One for the health nut on a diet.

1: Whole wheat crackers
    2: Hummus

Vitamin C, iron, fiber, and a whole mess of complete proteins. And it's Vegan!

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Fall back recipe:
    Hamburgers on the grill.

Hotdogs on the grill for littler kids.

Given prep time:
    Marinate a pork butt (shoulder).
    Inject.
    Let sit overnight in the fridge.
    Drain, apply rub.
    Place on smoker for 4-8 hours at about 200 degrees with a good supply of mesquite in the firebox.

Fish:
    Marinate in equal parts olive oil & white wine & pineapple juice (about a quarter cup each) with a dash of lemon juice.
    Place on aluminum foil (or slotted aluminum tray) on hot grill.
    Pour left over marinade over fish.
    Cook until meat turns white and flaky.
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

Since I've left home I've really started to get into the whole cooking malarky, my main staple's seem to be sausage casserole, cottage pie, chilli and cheese pie (super high in carbs, but great with green veg). I've suprised the whole of the office with various confectionary too - white chocolate, vanilla and baileys fudge, truffles, sponge syrup nuggets and my cheese scones went down really well on Friday. Going to do a quorn mince chilli for my Friday meal and see what that comes out like, plus have a cheese biscuit/straw recipe I want to try.

When my girlfriend comes over we tend to have at least one cooking/baking session in the kitchen, just love it - crank the iPod up and just do whatever we fancy, far more entertaining (and cheaper) than going out on the beer. Her parents come from India so I'm learning a whole new culture of food (Indian puddings are very nice).

Of course, now the sun's showing it's wonderful glow, I'll be cleaning the bbq down and starting to use that too, herby salmon, cajun chicken and curried chicken/sausages

I've not got any of the actual recipes to hand, but if anybody wants any of them, shout and I'll grab the old recipe book and put them up.

I've always been a foodie, and being married to a chef helped a great deal since I picked up loads of good tips (including lots of the typical shortcuts, versus the way things 'should' be done).

More recently, I've been a Heston Blumenthal fan for about four or five years now and although I'd almost never go to the extremes he does there are lots of good techniques and underlying knowledge to be gleaned from his recipes.

My go-to recipes include:
    pizza, made from scratch;
    chilli con carne (with lots of variations);
    a basic tomato sauce for pasta of whatever kind I have;
    stir-fried veg, for noodles or rice (infinite variation here);
    corned-beef hash, usually served with fried eggs.

Chilli and pizza are probably my two favourite foods overall, even though I love Asian cuisine.

I'm hugely fond of a good ragu, and discovered to my amazement just recently that you can achieve in one cooking that flavour a lot of us get by cooking it the previous day and reheating (ditto with chilli). But it actually takes less time doing it the day before, since the same-day method requires at least four hours and two reductions.

Einion

Quote Originally Posted by Master of fact View Post
    Lono when you do your spag bol how do you stop that watery/saucy separation when you plate it up. Iv never figured it out.
    Assuming your sauce isn't a bit watery, drain your pasta better.

If you sauce is reduced to around the right level, alternatively mix the pasta with the sauce (which is how spaghetti with ragu is most commonly served in Bologna). A little pasta water is used to "temper" the sauce in many Italian kitchens - adds a bit of salt, and extracted starch.

Bolognese fans, trivia questions:
    do you use herbs?
    Any garlic?
    Fried onion as the base or do you use a sofrito?

Einion

Blog Entries

So this week we're ordering chinese. Too much to do to cook for 10. Any suggestions (other than dim sum. Can't get it around here darn it)?

Quote Originally Posted by Einion View Post
    do you use herbs?
    Any garlic?
    Fried onion as the base or do you use a sofrito?
    Einion
    Use a soffrito, of course. No other way to do it. I do use garlic, standard base of parsley, oregano, and thyme. But I've also used leek i the soffrito, and also tried tarragon (no good), lemon parsley (too acidic), and basil (great for garnishing, but too delicate to withstand the full cooking process).

Here's a dessert recipe we tried out that turned into a huge hit:

Ricotta & Pecan Tart:
    Dough:

-3 cups sifted cake flour (or light baking flour)
    -2 tablespoons lemon juice
    -1 & 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
    -3/4 cup butter, cut into 1/2 inch chunks and at room temperature.
    -2 tablespoons honey
    -1 tablespoon baking soda
    -Pinch of salt
    -1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
    -3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten.
    -1 large egg yolk, beaten as smoothly as possible

In a large bowl mix your butter, confectioner's sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, honey, and salt together. Work the butter with your hands until you've got it somewhat blended. Add the three beaten egg yolks and mix with a wooden spoon until it's an even consistency. In a seperate bowl mix your flour and baking soda. I'd recommend sifting it together if you have the means, otherwise just stir it for a bit. Once you've got both bowls prepared start adding your flour into the mix you've been using a wooden spoon on. Keep adding the flour until you've got a dough that's pretty difficult to move around the bowl, but is still just a bit sticky. Pat the dough down a bit and cover. Throw it in the fridge for a couple of hours.

Once the dough has hardened a bit you can pull it out of the fridge and pry it out of the bowl. Sometimes it's a bid too hard to pull out, but let it sit out in the open for five minutes and it'll soften up just enough to be pulled. Divide the dough into two masses, one a bit bigger than the other. With the bigger mass, knead it for a few moments to kind of mush it into a single piece of dough. I say this because when I pull it out it seems I have to pull it out a handful at a time from the bowl, and it needs to be reformed. Roll it out with a rolling pin, and set it in a 9-11 inch wide pie pan. I aim for a crust about 1/4 inch thick, but it's not too important to be exact. Being the same thickness throughout the whole disc is more important. Trim off any excess from the edge of the pan, and set it to the side.

Take that excess you made and work it into one ball. Now using your hands roll it into a rope that will loop around the bottom of the pan. Remember how you rolled play-doh? Same thing. This is just to reinforce the crust and make it a bit stronger for when you cut it out of the pan. Once the ring is in place just press it in a little so it's connected solidly to the rest of the dough. Take a fork, toothpick, or whatever and jab a couple of holes in the bottom of the dough. Now, switch over to the filling!

Filling:
    3 & 1/2 cups Ricotta Cheese made with whole milk
    2/3 cup granulated sugar
    1 tablespoon light rum
    1/2 cup crushed pecans, or pecan meal
    Honey, to taste

This is the easy part. In a bowl mix your Ricotta and your sugar together with a spoon. Get it mixed well or you'll have sweet and bland spots in your filling. Let it sit for a few minutes, and then add the rum. Mix again. Once you're satisfied with the mixing, spoon some into your pie. Put in just enough to meet the top of that rope, or maybe just a touch more. Smooth it down evenly, but try not to bump into the dough too much. As it gets warmer it gets a lot more pliable. With the first layer of cheese down start sprinkling pecan over it. Use half of what you crushed. Then take your honey and drizzle it over the whole mass. I don't use too much as it's already a sweet dessert, but some people like it sweeter. Layer in the rest of the Ricotta. Put in the rest of your pecan, and another drizzling of honey. All set? Now we go back to the dough!

Remember that leftover ball of dough you had? Divide it into 10 pieces. One by one roll them out into ropes, and then press them down with your fingers gently. You'll have your ribbon, which makes up the lattice work to your tart. Lay five across, turn the tart 90 degrees, and lay the other five across. Take the 1 remaining egg yolk and brush it over all of the exposed crust.

Get your oven to 375 degrees Farenheit. Put your tart on the middle rack, and bake for 40 minutes. Pull it out, and let it cool. Stick it in the fridge until it's cool and the filling sets. (if you cut it while it's warm you'll see it's way to runny) Serve and enjoy!

*** To be fair, this is a modified recipe that I found in a Williams Sonoma cookbook. I added a few things and took out the chocolate to make it better.
    Nosus decipio - We Cheat

Quote Originally Posted by RuneBrush View Post
    Going to do a quorn mince chilli for my Friday meal and see what that comes out like
    Best tasting chilli ever.
    Just make sure you make more sauce than normal as I use 2 jars of Uncle Ben's chilli sauce when I use quorn mince.

Btw for quick food on the go, super noodles with mixed veg tossed in too

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lizcam View Post
    So this week we're ordering Chinese. Too much to do to cook for 10. Any suggestions (other than dim sum. Can't get it around here darn it)?
    (we like lots of chicken, but you can have pork, beef or shrimp in most of these...)

Crab Rangoon (or Krab Rangoon or cream cheese Rangoon....) Fried cream cheese with bits of crab... great appetizer.

Moo Goo
    5 flavor chicken or pork if you like a bit of bite.
    Sesame chicken or bourbon chicken are always hits.

All on a bed of rice or noodles (angel hair pasta).
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

I love making sandwiches. For dinner I took a large ciabatta roll and toasted it with some Parmesan cheese. After that, I caramelized a whole sweet onion and made a pan sauce with some red wine and balsamic vinegar, mixed half an avocado with some mayonnaise, and put it all on the ciabatta. Messy, but delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by lizcam View Post
    ...(other than dim sum. Can't get it around here darn it)
    Bummer! My favourite Cantonese food. Char Siu Bau anyone? *drool*

Quote Originally Posted by crystella333 View Post
    Best tasting chilli ever.
    Just make sure you make more sauce than normal as I use 2 jars of Uncle Ben's chilli sauce when I use quorn mince.
    Fond as I am of meat substitutes, nothing beats the flavour (and texture) of meat.

And with respect, no Best Tasting Chilli Ever should even see an Uncle Ben's label

Einion

Liz do crispy beef with honey, chilli and wine sauce. Sticky crunchy batter with soft beef. mmmmmmmmmmmmm

damn im hungry
    also if your in the uk tesco are selling tefal pans at discoun, got myself a new 32cm fry pan. its amazing!

My go to recipe is pulled pork: roughly cut (1-2" cubes or so) pork shoulder or other slow cooking cut. Cover with water and season (some combination of salt, pepper, chilli's, paprika, bay leaves, cinnamon, five spice, whole star anise - whatever you like!) and bring to boil, skimming off any foam. Lower heat to barest simmer and cook for 60 to 90 minutes (until nice and tender). Allow to cool in water, remove meat and shred with fingers.

Best thing is it keeps really well and can be the basis for a whole lot of meals, so it is easy to make a big batch on a sunday and have it in the fridge all week. Make homemade BBQ pork sandwiches (bring bought or home made BBQ sauce to simmer, stir in pork and heat, serve w/ slaw on rolls), stews (add drained can of black beans, can of tomatoes, couple of diced chillis and some stock to a pot, simmer for 30mins, add pork and heat through), makes a great filling for tacos and similar meals, can be sauced and served just over rice or beans. And it tastes so damned good!