Thread: WIP Baharroth. Vegas GT hero contest... maybe

Default WIP Baharroth. Vegas GT hero contest... maybe

Edit* New pics here

Name:  legs.JPG
Views: 714
Size:  231.3 KBName:  Full.JPG
Views: 535
Size:  746.8 KB

So I need a single mini entry for the character painting contest at the GT. I want to treat it like... my golden daemon prelim. So I'm trying model after model until I get something I'm pleased with.

Here's the idea around the paint scheme:
    -ceramic white armor
    -blue gems/weapons/glow
    -"sky" color pallette for the whole model

and as for a base, I will have him on a floating rock, leaping off, with clouds (tufts of cotton) around said rock.

something like this idea

Took a couple of shots, hopefully got a good one (mah photoshops is at home D: ).

Name:  baharroth1.JPG
Views: 300
Size:  937.8 KBName:  Baharroth2.JPG
Views: 443
Size:  944.2 KBName:  Baharroth3.JPG
Views: 341
Size:  756.1 KB

What's done: White, Undersuit
    In progress: Brown. Needs 2 lighter layers (up to deneb stone)

So the pictures aren't fantastic... But thoughts so far? Is the undersuit too muted? And I'm also deciding what to do for his mask, the feather, and his gun.
    Last edited by GraveRisen; 04-05-2011 at 11:18 PM.

The blue tint on the armor reminds me of good ol' Delftware. Would look awesome with some floral pattern freehand if you're feeling particulary brave (freehand is all the jazz in GD). Looks nice, could maybe use some more colour variation. Blue is a nice colour, but there's such a thing as too much of a good thing. And there's a lot of blues to choose from. And the feather is a nice place to give it some contrasting colours, maybe look at feathers from real life birds for inspiration, there's some crazy designs out there.

The base could be orangy in contrast with the mini....maybe some dirt on the guy? It'd be less 'immaculate' though. But if you're going for realism...

Also, pick a focal point(or two), and then work everything towards that focal point thinking about contrast and detail.

It's a good start!
    Last edited by Garshnak; 03-22-2011 at 12:48 PM.

Good idea on the freehand patterning! I was originally considering doing some cracks like aged ceramic, but I suppose a phoenix lord would have something a little more pristine huh.

as for the focal point, I think the face is going to by the main focus. With the wings on it's a very central part of the model. And I;m sure I can pull that off with a bright glowing eye and, as you said, something higher contrast with the feathers.

but I suppose a phoenix lord would have something a little more pristine huh.
    I think they would have the most worn suits of armour out of all the Eldar. In the book "The Path of the Warrior" the Exarch suits are older more ornate suits than the standard Aspect Warrior suits. As the Phoenix Lords are the founders of their Aspect then it would make sense that they would be aged more than standard suits including the Exarch ones. Having said that the suits are made from psycho-plastics and not ceramic plates, so not enitrely sure they would show wear and tear or whether they would mould back into shape. (Yes I'm bored at work and just happen to have the codex with me,lol)

Nice start on the model, I like the colour scheme (I'm still trying to pick one for my own Swooping Hawks, thinking of an 90's grey/blue and yellow). If you want the feather to stand out then why not go for a contrasting Orange or Red one?

yeah I'm a little bored here too... good point on the armor though, I forgot the exarch suits generally get passed down.
    Or perhaps I'll do both
    Some ornate filgree designs in a darker tone, closer to the base color of the armor and then some cracks and weathering to tie it together.

I'm also thinking something like this for the feather, though a little more muted (solar marcharius orange rather than blazing/fiery)
    http://ny-image1.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.94265189.jpg

LOVE the contrast!
    Will it be echoed in the wings?

also, for the floating rock base, raise it up and be sure to taper it to the bottom, otherwise it won't give the right perspective.

yeah I was thinking something like this picture for the inspiration. except no tree, some wispy clouds around it, and a bit of water falling off with fishing line and water effects.

As for the wings I'm not sure. I want the focal point to be his head, being a very central part of the model. I think though that if I alternate orange feathers on the wings, it will be even enough on both sides to not draw your attention away. next up I think is the freehanding and cracks

He looks great so far!
    If the printed word was spoken, so much truth would be so broken...

Really like this, coming on beautifully, and I like the contrasting orange. Try to keep it as a spot colour though because you want to keep the focus on his face.

Might be useful as a reference, here's the old Baharoth I did some some years ago in a fairly similar scheme:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/164046

After seeing that, I agree.
    But every 4th feather wouldn't draw away from the face.
    After all, this is an Ancient possessed suit of armor, there should be some sense of the collection of personalities that it has assimilated over the millennia.

Quote Originally Posted by Countersunk81 View Post
    Really like this, coming on beautifully, and I like the contrasting orange. Try to keep it as a spot colour though because you want to keep the focus on his face.

Might be useful as a reference, here's the old Baharoth I did some some years ago in a fairly similar scheme:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/164046
    Yours was my original inspiration . Then I ended up taking the armor a lot brighter haha.

Looking good! Good luck on your contest!
    I do accept commissions on request.

http://fullypainted.blogspot.com/
    fullypainted on both facebook & twitter

Quote Originally Posted by GraveRisen View Post
    Yours was my original inspiration . Then I ended up taking the armor a lot brighter haha.
    Well nice to know it had some use

Added 2 new pics to the first post. Got the cracks done up and did something different with the helmet