TrystanGST's WIP thread - Page 25
Page 25 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread: TrystanGST's WIP thread

haha thanks. It's not what I wanted, but it's what I ended up with because I don't have the brush control to do better...
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Yeah yeah, I know. No pics for a while. I was out of town last week.

Anyways, a little detour. Someone asked me how I approached chainmail, so here it is. In pics.

1. Primed and ready to go.

2. Paint it Black. (Don't miss any spots, and dont use a brush you like).

3. First layer of color. I used P3's Greatcoat Grey. I wiped most of the paint off, and used the back of the brush to cover almost all the chain.

4. Next layer. I mixed some Codex Grey in, and worked a slightly smaller area.

5. This is straight Codex.

6. Mix Codex Grey and P3 Morrow White. Don't be afraid to go over an area several times to get the shade you want.

7. A little White highlighting.

That's it in a nutshell. I'm going to go back to Celeborn and try to get something done haha.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Cool Trystan! Great technique and pictures! Thanks for posting!

I've painted over that sword twice now. I was getting so fed up with it. I took Elly's advice and worked on other bits. I'm going with a wood back to the shield, as opposed to gold. I mean, who carries a solid gold shield? It'd be heavy and useless in actual combat.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

I like the shield Trys but worry that the slats of the wood might be a out of scale. What did you use to make the wood grain? I've got a way that might help you out if you need it.

I'm all ears.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Using a stiff bristled brush, (at least one with a bit of resistance if you normally use a soft one) you want your paint just slightly thicker than what you normally have it...say heavy cream. This time you want to leave brush strokes - but fine ones, nothing really super obvious. Paint only vertically, and try to make it flow smoothly.

I pull the brush straight down anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4's of the way. Then I go to the bottom and pull the brush up to meet the stroke I just made but slightly to the side, so the two will overlap but not much. Each up and down motion, I change where I stop the brush so I get a good variation - I don't want a line running through the middle of it. Also I change up the pressure I put on the brush (this should happen naturally anyway as the angle changes). I go back and look for any gaps and fill those in again only painting vertically.

Allow to dry and take black ink and thin it. Do the same thing with the ink, paint only vertically and follow the brush strokes you made earlier. When it dries, voila! Instant wood grain. If you want slats, go back in and make them lightly then darken them up gradually, that way you can be sure you're in scale. I used ink but you can probably use paint or whatever you want.

I used this technique on my Wells Fargo Stage Coach and it worked beautifully. I'm at work so can't grab photos to show you but can throw one or two up when I get home.

If you have something to test this on, give it a shot.

I'll definitely have to give this a go.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    I'm all ears.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

lol Meph!

Hey Trys, here's how that technique turned out for me.

I hope it works as well for you.

Time waits for no man (or woman), and I've had plenty of obstacles on this mini. The sword blade, the wood, and most recently the base. Argh. Painting on a deadline sucks. It forces you to paint, whether you're in the mood or not. And now I find that Elly has pushed aside the sphinx to enter the same category as me!
    Anyways, I'm sure you all want pics.
    The actual sword haft looks like so:

Way above my pay grade. But I didn't let that stop me.

All that's left tomorrow is the outside of the shield, the sword blade, and a base. I'll make it. Just.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Go Trystan! Looking good so far! The shield looks much better and I think you'll get that sword. Just keep going!

Looking really good. I love the NNM looks. My only thing is that where the shaft of the sword meets his arm guard, shouldn't there be a bit more shadow on the shaft part? The shadow should be over cast from his arm guard. It looks like you left a slight gap, blending or not, which could be the shaded area, but I can't really tell because it's kinda far away from the camera to see. Hope you know what I'm talking about. But overall, you should do well in the category.

Atleast you'll have another day to paint. I have to finish tonight and fly out at dawn. Plus instead of painting, I have to help set things up tomorrow at our table so now more time left for me Next year I'll have to start early (even though I say that every year lol. I bet this holds true for alot of us.)

Good luck and hope to run into you to see the mini in person.

shield design seems loosly based on the german dueling shield
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Well here's my post GD rundown.

I got to meet, or at least see the entires of, a lot of cool people. It seems everyone Elly was introducing me to was a demon winner/ slayer sword winner. It was really cool. I never did get Celeborn done, but that's okay because honestly he wasn't really ready for show-time anyways. There's always next year, right?

Cassar's marine was a rock star. I definitely want to get him painted and sneak him into the demon case next year.

Congrats to everyone who entered, everyone who made the cut, and of course the guys that got the demons.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Aw I'm sorry to hear Celeborn wasn't finished. But at least you had a great time and there will be next year - and next year I'm coming too! lol!

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Trystan, glad I got to finally meet up with you. Had a great time. And the MaxiMini was great, good luck painting it.

And Kathryn better be there...

Quote Originally Posted by MightyChad View Post
    Trystan, glad I got to finally meet up with you. Had a great time. And the MaxiMini was great, good luck painting it.

And Kathryn better be there...
    Maybe next year I can actually enter something, and not feel like such a poser LOL.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    Maybe next year I can actually enter something, and not feel like such a poser LOL.
    But you looked like you belonged, that is all that matters. I mean, they let me in!

Poser my foot!!! hehe now get workin' on next years stuff (intermingled in with your 500 other things to work on LOL)
    My Rank -