TrystanGST's WIP thread - Page 42
Page 42 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292 ... LastLast

Thread: TrystanGST's WIP thread

Indeed! Looks good.

Ah, and those E2046 models are well packaged, aren't they? I was pleasantly surprised as well when I opened mine.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

The cast looks great and the quality looks really good for that e2046 model - but it's just so odd! LOL what the heck is going on with those propeller legs??
    My Rank -

Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Its Japanese, ofc its odd!!

My e2046 model is working its way through danish customs atm, so I should have it in 5-6 years.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Well instead of working on Beaky I decided to finish Fiama last night. Though it seems my camera work is hurting me, like usual. At least I've gotten a few messages from helpful regulars explaining where I could improve.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/308238

I'm not going to delude myself into thinking it's some masterpiece, and I don't put too much stock in the score, but tabletop stings.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

I really like it Trys, that score does not reflect how well painted that mini is... I'm pretty much dumbfounded. I think it's a solid 7 at the very least. I have voted properly Speaking of E2046, both of my ladies arrived a couple of days ago, prep work is daunting!

Thanks Elric. The prep work was actually very light in terms of Francesca. I mean there will be some gap filling once she's assembled, but there were NO mold line or flash.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

It's just a score - and if it bothers you let it fuel you to learn and grow as a painter and keep working to become better. Also, you may tease me about spending 5 hours on shading a hand, but sometimes that's what it takes to take it to the next level

Looking forward to seeing beaky this weekend! Last time I saw it it had no paint on it lol
    My Rank -

[QUOTE=Elly3438;658653] you may tease me about spending 5 hours on shading a hand, but sometimes that's what it takes to take it to the next level

/QUOTE] How big is the hand? Ive taken about 2 hours once painting an eye - just couldn't get it right LOL
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

[QUOTE=10 ball;658655]
    Quote Originally Posted by Elly3438 View Post
    you may tease me about spending 5 hours on shading a hand, but sometimes that's what it takes to take it to the next level

/QUOTE] How big is the hand? Ive taken about 2 hours once painting an eye - just couldn't get it right LOL
    rofl I don't think I've ever spent that much time on a hand actually, but Tryst likes to tease me because I am a really slow painter... and I totally feel ya on the eyes - I've done that so many times! First eye looks perfect, then getting the second just right can be so frustrating LOL
    My Rank -

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

The score is a number, Trys. Just let the hate build up and propel you to becomming a better painter. That is how I got better. Hate drives me... and it keeps me warm.
    Last edited by MightyChad; 06-22-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyChad View Post
    The score is a number, Trys. Just let the hate build up and propel you to becomming a better painter. That is how I got better. Hate drives me... and it keeps me warm.
    A hat would keep you're head warm better, especially with that hair. Ignore the cynically old bollox trys and remember "look through the eyes of love and you will never know what hate is"
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

Quote Originally Posted by cassar View Post
    A hat would keep you're head warm better, especially with that hair. Ignore the cynically old bollox trys and remember "look through the eyes of love and you will never know what hate is"
    I never thought about a hat...

Quote Originally Posted by MightyChad View Post
    I never thought about a hat...
    Slacker.

As for Fiama, well, lesson learned. I'm already scheming my next attempt to take over the painting world.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

That big beaky makes one heck of an avatar.

So my plans for painting world domination are waiting on the postman. In the meantime, I found a different mini I can work on. Haven't figured out a base yet, but I spent extra time sanding the whole thing, and am going to stick with the concept art paint job so I can focus on technique and not try to figure out a scheme as well. Priming and painting should begin on the morrow. Stay tuned!
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Well I had a breakthrough this morning. Some of you experts and experienced paint slingers are probably going to roll your eyes, but here goes:

Blocking out your colors does wonders for when you actually start working on an area in earnest.

Anyone who's seen any of my WIPs knows I work on one area to finish, then I move on to the next area. Apparently this isn't always the best way of doing things. Take my current project:

Yes, the pics are blurry. Pfft.

The point is, I thought the skin was light enough. So I started blocking in the colors around it. Holy Moly Batman. That skin is nowhere near light enough! So I'm going to finish blocking colors, then go back to the skin. Wee!
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

That's how I do it, and it usually causes some people problems when viewing the thread. But I get what you are doing. I like to work on the skin, or major area first, then do details. I also stop and work on other spots so nothing ends up too bright. It makes it hard to look at my WIPs, as people give advice on things I was already palnning. I have never been able to paint one are to completion before moving to the next. ANyway, looking good so far.

I find something similar. I tend to get a part basically done then block in the surrounding area to get feel for how dark or light it is. then i Tweak.

Your paint job is looking good so far. the skin although darker then you wanted looks niece. the blends are nice and balanced.

Had Elly over for some hanging out and some photo tips. Check out the new Fiama pic.

Better?
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460