TrystanGST's WIP thread - Page 44
Page 44 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Thread: TrystanGST's WIP thread

Well I don't have pics because there's nothing to photograph yet.

The reason is that finecastm being finecast, left me with one heck of a problem.

See, I'm going to enter (if I finish in time) the Fantasy single category. There's not enough time for a squad or monster entry, let alone an open/diorama. Unfortunately, my chosen subject's axe was horrbily miscast. I could pick a different mini, I suppose, but I really like this one. Which left me with the problem of trying to get him a new blade. I was going to just raid my table for a suitable blade, but Elly rightly pointed out that I can't use non-GW bits. So I had to craft a new axe from scratch. Now I could just replace the blade, but I think the axe handle was a bit daft too, so I drilled it out and replaced it as well. I did some google searching to find historical axe pictures, but most of the images that came back were fantasy and not usable. And since my character likes to axe things, he needs a weapon that wouldn't shatter on contact. So I found a source, and began to shape the blade out of styrene. I dropped a rod in for the handle, and I just need to do a bit more sanding and some putty work to tie it all together. Then the painting can begin.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Doing a Krell, eh? I wanted to do an Empire Amber Mage, but I do not have the time.

Cool! Sounds great Trys - can't wait to see it. Ya know, I think we should probably get better at sculpting. Bought a mini that's a Failcast disaster? Just resculpt it!!! That's the only way to get something that's not mangled boys and girls.

Yeah Chad, I am. And I gave up on the styrene and raided my extra Grave Guard sprues. A little GS and I should be in business.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    Yeah Chad, I am. And I gave up on the styrene and raided my extra Grave Guard sprues. A little GS and I should be in business.

Well, good luck, I hope you can do an awesome job. I picked up the mini, as he looks like a cool one.

It's an awesome sculpt. It's just too bad that as I am prepping I realize I must have gotten one from the end of the mold's life. It's rather crusty. I'll do what I can and cross my fingers. As for the axe, I'll make sure to bring the original blade so you guys can see what I lopped off.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    It's an awesome sculpt. It's just too bad that as I am prepping I realize I must have gotten one from the end of the mold's life. It's rather crusty. I'll do what I can and cross my fingers. As for the axe, I'll make sure to bring the original blade so you guys can see what I lopped off.
    Cool, I am curious to see how bad it was. It sucks when such an awesome mini has a terrible flaw.

Ask and you shall receive. The original, my styrene attempt, and the bits box. There's a little more GS to go on, but I have to let this cure first. And I can't cheat since the lamp would melt the resin/plastic.

Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Hmmmm....Deformed Failcast....heat lamp...melting resin....Now there's a recipe for a diorama!!!

Here's a little peek of what I was going to work on before I decided to throw in on GD.

Hmm, why is this lady hiding?

Eeek!

Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

lol! That's great! One hell of a game of hide and go seek.

GD time. I went thru a few more iterations of axe blades before settling on this one.

Also some work on the base. The stones need to be tied together, and a spot for his gaming base needs to be made.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Bone's pretty much done. At least til I start getting the stuff around it filled in.

There's a little more brown to the actual model, as well as some green in the dark parts. Of course the camera doesn't see that.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

A good start, it's been hours since I have painted a skull, but I think a sepia wash really helped to smooth and shade the bone. I will eagerly await another update.

2 updates in one day? What's going on!? Haha.

Anyways - this is just the red. I haven't glazed the shadows (purple/blue) or the highlights (yellow/orange) yet. Then I need to start the corrosion.

Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Cool Trys. I was going to suggest a glaze but you're on top of things.

nice start! be careful with the yellow/orange highlight though, it easily go from looking red to orange..
    ...keep talking
    Forever remains

Instagram

Good point. I've got red washes too if it comes to it. I just want to make sure the red highlights stay bright.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Nice start tryst. Red wil pop when that blue goes on.
    Join me as I try to place as a finalist at Golden Demon http://willsinnerdemon.wordpress.com/

Looking good so far! One thing I would mention is some edge highlights on the red areas, so we can see the edges and also you can pick out a lot of those "holes" and scratches (highlight the bottom edge that picks up the light) and make those details really pop. Just to ask, what are you using for your red colors?
    Keep it up!
    My Rank -