TrystanGST's WIP thread - Page 46
Page 46 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Thread: TrystanGST's WIP thread

With, erm, copper? Haha
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

I like the copper - maybe highlight it a touch more with some gold or gold mixed with copper. I like the effect you got on the broken horn too.

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

I hate to do this, but there is a wicked mould line running down the temple area of that highest skull on the trophy rack. Other than that, great looking mini, a lot of mood.

Good eye chad. How did I not see that!? I'll get it sorted.

*edit* And Kath - the trick here is that I want it to look like an old penny. Mostly tarnished, with just the raised bits shiny. But I can always hit the edges with another glaze of white at the high points.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

I agree with Kath, th copper looks good and the paint job is ace on the horns, but i still dislike th sculpt of that broken horn. Every time i see it i invision it as being significntly longwr than the other side before it was broke.

Thanks Krule. I see what you mean, but what can ya do? Besides resculpt the horn, which is not an option at this stage haha.

The finecast gods have been kind, and I've been prepping entry number two today.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Looking good so far dude!

A couple comments though: I feel like the fur on the back looks unfinished. I think it needs a bit more definition, as just highlighting the tips of the fur towards the top kind of gives a weird effect to me. Also, I feel like the mini overall could start using some better definition. I see you are trying to shade where the light hits, but I still feel like areas in shadows still need highlights (though not as bright as the top highlights) on the edges and everything - it would really make a lot of the detail pop, which is really needed on this kind of scale. Just a couple more things I see that could use improvement - the horns look unfinished to me. If you have the time or patience, or time to practice the effect on something else, most horns kind of have lines that run with the horn, and I feel adding these would give more of a visual interest to them. Also, I always feel like the face of a mini is a good focal point, and if you time I would revisit the face and give it more definition and depth, as I feel most of the time we are drawn to the face first (which is why I always spend tons of time on my faces).
    Some pics:

Keep it up man, can't wait to see it finished!!
    My Rank -

Good points. Those are almost the exact reference pics I used for the horns. I can't wait to have you look at Krell in person this weekend.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Update time. Things left to do: Leather, Axe, Hair on skulls, skull poles, base, touch ups.

Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

Painting horns does not have to be hard. Start with the midtone, like a khaki. Then where you want the dark areas start doing thin Bestial or Vermin Brown, build up thin layers in stripey patterns, and start darkening towards either the base or tip of the horn. When it is dark enough, start lightening the other side. Or do the same method in more controlled stripes, using thin layering and glazes to tie colors together.

Thanks alot Trystan...the more i look at your paint job, the more the little demon on my sholders tells me to buy this mini! Great, more to add to the unpainted masses assaulting me

I know that pain all too well my friend. Just be careful with Finecast - it can be a harsh mistress!
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Blog Entries

he's looking good so far. Are you planning to lighten the recess' of him? It kind of has a washed look at the moment. For the horn, do you have any inks? Inks work like a champ for horns.

The plan, as it stands, is to finish filling out the rest of the colors, and then go back and tweak everything. So while he's close to what he will end up like, there will still be adjustments based on feedback.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Blog Entries

I got ya. I'll be following along closely to see the completiton.

I was thinking the same thing as Milosh. lol! But decided to wait and watch. I'm kinda getting the feeling you're rushing this. I want to tell you slow down! Take deep breath! Take your time! You're actually ahead of the game (considering how you've done in the past with these hun - sorry couldn't resist. lol!). So you definitely want to go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Rushing? Haha. That's probably because I tend to get bored with projects when I get close to completion, and I'm hoping to finish before that strikes. Not rushing, per se, but I'm not taking my time either. Elly will be over on Saturday to look at it in person, so that wi8ll give me a feel for where he really stands.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

I like him so far Tryst, are you going to do anything more to the weapon? It looks unfinished compared to the weathering goodness on the rest of the dude.
    i love the blending job on the cape aswell. The colours are so rich and the transition so careful. Nice work!
    Easily distracted by shin-

Aesu - thanks! Yeah - the axe is just primer. It's next. In fact, I just did the leather bits and finally glued his arms on. So it'll be done shortly.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

So I had the pleasure of getting the eye of a multiple demon/slayer sword winner on Krell yesterday, and I was actually surprised with how minor the adjustments he suggested were. Work continues, and I see him done as early as Monday or Tuesday. Yay!

Things left to do - hair on trophies, grain on wood, metal on base of axe, axe blade, touch up fur areas, base.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460