TrystanGST's WIP thread - Page 47
Page 47 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast

Thread: TrystanGST's WIP thread

The metal really fits the rest of the style of the mini. Can not wait to see the axe blade and base finished. Good progress.

He's done. I'll get some pics snapped tonight, but I won't put him up for submission til after GD.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Pics:

Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

I think the hands on the base need a different tone to help pick them out of the rock. Maybe green?

Chad - they were basecoated with coal black, so they have a bluish tint compared to the rock. I don't want them to distract from Krell, which is why I kept them muted. In fact I'm thinking of removing the skull from the base.

Elly brought up a good point recently - the axe blade. I'm no expert at black, and the fluff really insists that the axe is black. It's called the Black Axe of Krell for a reason.
    Now there are a few ways to approach this, each harder than the last.
    A. Use nice oils to get some rust/corrosion effects. Quick and dirty. Problem is orientation. Armor is worn one way, so corrosion runs with gravity. How do you deal with something that moves around a lot?
    B. Not very time correct, but some modern black blades are actually painted/powdercoated/whatevered black, and the blade edge is still naked metal. That'd break up the black, though the little corrosion circles would present a problem.
    C. Make the blade of some other black substrance, i.e. onyx or obsidian. I had originally suggested this, but if it's an effect that even Elly struggles to get right, what chance do I have?

A is obviously the easy way out, and B is doable. C is probably not, but could be worth a shot.

Ideas fellow painters?
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

That place in the US, you know the one. The one with the trees and rocks.

What about doing it a dark steel, then glaze with black? like heavy shading?

If you want to take the emphasis off everything but krell, i would suggest removing the skull and the arms from the base.

The photos i have seen of polished obsidian show a very bright highlight from reflections that may help. I do not know the fluff, but what about carrying some of the other colors over to glyphs on the blade? I could also see carrying the current pitting onto the rest of the blade, prepared like battle damage, as if more pieces are ready to break free.

Here is a characterful example of black oxidized metal

http://img3.etsystatic.com/000/0/571....214233255.jpg

And an obsidian arrowhead

http://www.thegemtree.com/images/BLA...T%20OF%205.jpg

Krule - I like the glyph idea. That may warrant some further thought. For the moment I have hit it with a nice glaze of Iron Oxide, and that seems to have helped. I will probably remove the skull, but I like the idea of the ghouls climbing up to the Lord of Undeath.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

looks good trys try not to tweek it too much tho
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive

I got the axe where it's going to be. For now I'm pressing on with the next guy. Not too hopeful I'll have him done by Staurday, but the deadline isn't until the following Saturday.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Well, if there is a time to tweak - now is it (with only a few days left before GD). A couple other things you may want to tweak if you feel like it (though I know you tryst - completing and perfecting minis isn't your thing just yet. You just want to quickly finish at the 90% mark and move on to something else lol not that there's anything wrong with that). My eye every time is drawn to the end of the axe. That copper or reddish tip to the axe really gets my attention, when I feel like before with the horns and such I was drawn to the face. It just seems awfully bright compared to the dark and moody colors and such used on the rest of the mini. Also, I feel like the base could use a little something more. Maybe more color nuances or something instead of what looks like dark grey all around. Also the bandages on his wrists could use a little more definition - and the right hand that is holding the axe looks like it is holding something clumpy or something - maybe try and define it a bit more because it looks muddy. Look at the pinky, it kind of blends into something in the axe that I can't tell what it is that is underneath his hand.

Just a couple suggestions (if you wanted) to help push you up in the demons! I also suggest after the comp to have Tim take a look at your model and get some feedback. He gives really great advice to help you in your demon quest!
    My Rank -

Man it's nice to have Elly looking after this. Always something to fix. If it were me, I'd have been done a while back. But he pushes me to really get that last few tweaks.

I've gone back over the axe with a thinned iron oxide oil paint. Initially I thought I thinned it too much, but it's actually added a strange metallic sheen to the whole thing. So I'm not complaining. I went over the ghouls with a blue glaze, took the skull off and replaced it with moss from my front yard (shaded of course). I added some green, brown and black washes to the grey stone to break up the monotony. I black lined the leather straps on his left wrist, as well as defining the right pinky. I hit the axe handle end with a few washes of brown, but it hasn't muted it too much. I'm afraid if I wanted to tone it down enough, I'd lose the copper effect completely.

I also noticed that while his left heel was on the ground, his whole right foot wasn't. Luckily I have a whole bunch of small rocks around (thank you terrain packs), and was able to put one under his right foot to get it back on ground (also shaded of course).

Now he's done. Erm maybe. Haha.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Well no pics of Krell until the submission pics. However, I can't leave you all hanging, so here's what's next on the platter:

1. Imotekh the Storm Lord - it's this month's brotherhood of the brush, and it's due next weekend. There's an outside chance I might get him done for this week, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    2. Hasslefree Miniatures 2012 Sculpting Competition - my armature arrived today, so it's time for the green stuff after Imotekh is done.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

So I have come to realize something this morning. I firmly believe that with determination and practice, anybody can become a good/great painter. Most techniques are just a matter of learning and practice.
    But - there are some things you just can't fake without some innate talent. NMM is one of them. Without some inner sense that tells you where to place highlights and lowlights and spot highlights, it's just not going to look right. You can have the perfect recipe, the smoothest blends, but if dark is light and light is dark, it won't work.

I've got:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/266813
    and
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/277954
    open in tabs, and I can see where their shades go, but since my figure isn't the same as theirs, I quickly get lost. I'm going to keep on keepin on, but it may be beyond me at this stage.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Don't lose faith padawan - teach you I will! My NMM wasn't all that great when I first started off either... and silver NMM is tough - it's all about research and practice, and the willingness to adjust and adjust until you get it right, and then the next time you will have learned and won't have to.
    Keep trying - I can help you, so don't forget that
    My Rank -

Well after some research and a chat with Elly, I started over on the head. Closer, but still not there. Hopefully I can tweak this. I don't know how finecast will like pine sol.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Maybe I can get this after all.
    v1

v2

v3

Not sold on the read emblem, just wanted a color there.

*edit* Macro mode is not my friend...macro mode is not my friend...
    Last edited by TrystanGST; 07-27-2012 at 10:57 AM.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

No necrons, but some GD news. Krell made it, and made first cut in a tough category (the slayer sword winner came from fantasy single). I'm happy with that outcome.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    No necrons, but some GD news. Krell made it, and made first cut in a tough category (the slayer sword winner came from fantasy single). I'm happy with that outcome.
    Congrats Trystan. I had a strange day, but made it to Chicago a little after 4:00 and stood in the line to see the Demon entries. Krell looked even better irl. The base in particular looked better than the picts. He was the only fig i recognized from the wips.

Thanks Krule! That line was long ALL day. I submitted Krell pics to CMON, and I expect he'll be up for voting some time tomorrow.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460