TrystanGST's WIP thread - Page 59
Page 59 of 109 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 2168

Thread: TrystanGST's WIP thread

Moe - yeah it does. Luckily the armor is there, so I kind of fudged it.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Quote Originally Posted by TrystanGST View Post
    If anyone pledged into KD:M and is offended by cleavage, well, they are going to be rather upset when the game comes. LOL
    Wait! KD minis have cleavage?!?!?! I could hardly tell, but thanks for the reassurance

Quote Originally Posted by Mikatu View Post
    Wait! KD minis have cleavage?!?!?! I could hardly tell, but thanks for the reassurance
    You should know, Mr. Headlights.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

So in the midst of my sedition wars sprint (marathon?), I'm feeling the beginnings of a crisis coming on.

These are gaming pieces, meant to be played with. I've been painting them as such, not being too picky about blending, shades, or much of anything past base/wash/highlight. They pass the three foot rule, and are perfectly passable for tabletop (I think).
    But I'm a painter at heart, and it bothers me at some level to rush the painting like this. I know that it's a necessary sacrifice if I ever want to get them all done in this lifetime, but part of me feels like I'm doing the minis a disservice.
    Any of you out there have thoughts/advice/comments?
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

I understand that feeling completely. I started painting army's because the look of a completely painted army I think is awesome even if they are just tabletop quality. But I had to stop that soon because I wasn't able to do that I just can't paint a mini without pushing myself.
    I would just continue to paint 'em and try to look at them as an army. I think if they're all finished you won't have that feeling of doing them a disservice.

Keep the tabletop level until you have enough to play with. You can put more effort into the characters and you have enough extra troops in the BioHazard pack to do a higher quality squad in the future. Besides your tabletop level will look awesome when you have a couple of squads on the board.

Of course this from a guy that has a pile of plastic imperial guards assembled and has managed to only finish panting one in 25 years.

That's a good point Krule - with Biohazard, you get nearly 30 Vanguard. I am going to do the characters nicer, but it seems most games are going to be <10 minis, so there should be plenty of room.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

And if you get too frustated with your paint jobs on them, i could take 'em off your hands and provide some fresh unpainted ones

Been a bit since I got some stuff done, but the blasted cold here is actually forcing me to work on stuff that's already primed, i.e. all those half finished minis. Behold (and try not to laugh)

It's my first real go at freehand. I already had to scrap my original border design because I don't have to tools/skills to make it work.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Nobody's laughing - looks like a great first attempt to me. So what are you going to add on the rest of the shield?
    My Rank -

I'm with Ell. that's a great start.
    “We do not want to be part of the fashionable crowd. We prefer to be on the edge.”
    Takasi Uno

Blog Entries

You have only tried one of the hardest patterns around to get right. Check borders can be an absolute nightmare, so I would say you have made an outstanding go of it. What are you doing in the center? I see you have started something.

Since you asked so nicely:

And Milosh - yeah. I was getting towards the end of the bottom row of squares, and thought what if there's not the right number? Sure enough...I had to fudge it a little. In the future, I will remember to actually use a pencil or something to draw it out first so the squares are closer to even and I don't end up with two white or black next to each other.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Blog Entries

Oh man, you aren't taking the easy way out on your first real attempt are you. That is an ambitious design to go after. In the future, an easy little trick, is to make evenly spaced tick marks all the way around your shield (or whatever you are wanting to put checks on) then paint a verticle line from each tick to the bottom of where the checks will end. Then through the middle of each section you just made, paint a connecting horizontal line. Then it is as easy as just filling in every other square to get your checks. Doing it like this breaks it down into smaller sections of work making it easier to be more precise. You also know ahead of time if you messed up somewhere, making a re-do less time consuming and painful.

Well I drew a bottom circle, then a top circle, intending to mimic the pattern seen on the shield. When that was an obvious no go, I drew a third circle between the first two, and then made a bunch of vertical lines around the whole thing. Then it was just a matter of coloring in the boxes. Maybe the long way of doing it, but then I didn'y start out with checkers in mind
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Great work on the shield.
    Being the first experience makes it even a greater achievement.

I think you shouldn't worry about the checked pattern not being perfect...
    if you take a look at the picture you posted...
    the border pattern is kind of sloppy...
    that makes your pattern more realistic!
    That's a thumbs-up for me.

Can't wait to see the rest.
    - - -
    Since GW has decreed that the Stormraven's cockpit opens and the pilot climbs in, it is now Gospel. As it is written, so shall it be done!

Been a bit since I got some stuff done, but the blasted cold here is actually forcing me to work on stuff that's already primed, i.e. all those half finished minis. Behold (and try not to laugh)

It's my first real go at freehand. I already had to scrap my original border design because I don't have to tools/skills to make it work.
    Less painting and more ticket closing!! looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikatu View Post
    Less painting and more ticket closing!! looks great!
    Pfft - how many do I have open? 1? Haha maybe you need to start bugging those lazy day shifters.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Pfft - how many do I have open? 1? Haha maybe you need to start bugging those lazy day shifters.
    Good start, looking sweet. Check patterns are indeed very difficult.
    "we reach for the stars, forever looking to the heavens, our minds filled with wonder and the glory of the cosmic all; stretching the boundries of human knowledge and securing the solar system for the Human Species out there beyond the final frontier so one day our decendants will be as gods!
    You hold our hands so we don't blunder into things........and do the photo shop.
    "
    . Andyg

Quick update:

Picked up some Slo Dri earlier today, and combined that with a smaller brush is making this a little less tedious.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460